997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2 Year Service? Dan Jacobs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 03:49 PM
caveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nice
2 Year Service? Dan Jacobs?

I'm approaching the 24 month mark with car with 5,600 miles. Car runs fine but the service reminder is coming on. What do I need to have done at this point other than an oil change and brake flush? My local dealer quoted me over $800 for this!! Any one have experience with Dan Jacobs in Oxford, CT? I'm thinking of having it serviced there (was looking to have it serviced at Farnacher Loles but just became aware of its demise).

Thanks

Old 03-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Mr. Berlin is infamous around these parts
do not get your brakes flushed at 5k miles, thats insane. and dont get it done at the dealer. they want what? 450 for the fluid and 200 for the oil? take it to an exotic car shop and get it done right for a 1/4 of the cost.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:43 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
Spencer *** & crew have setup shop 10mins away from where F/L was located in Danbury. I forgot the shops name, but their number is 203 733 1454.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Justahonda has much to be proud ofJustahonda has much to be proud ofJustahonda has much to be proud ofJustahonda has much to be proud ofJustahonda has much to be proud ofJustahonda has much to be proud ofJustahonda has much to be proud ofJustahonda has much to be proud of
When you take your vehicle to the dealer you get the dealership treatment. That's what you are paying for not the individual pieces. There are many things that are preformed at a dealership that you are unaware of but is all built into the price. Not to mention having the assurance your vehicle is being serviced by a factory trained technician. Porsche of Fairfield is just a few minutes away from where you are located and I strongly recommend the team down there.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:56 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Justahonda
When you take your vehicle to the dealer you get the dealership treatment. That's what you are paying for not the individual pieces. There are many things that are preformed at a dealership that you are unaware of but is all built into the price. Not to mention having the assurance your vehicle is being serviced by a factory trained technician. Porsche of Fairfield is just a few minutes away from where you are located and I strongly recommend the team down there.
I agree with this.
Many dealerships also have some discount service coupons offering periods too. I get them in the mail for each car that i own --including my Porsches.

I do believe that after 2 years the car ought yo be serviced and documented. Even though you have 5600 miles that car has held that oil for two years PLUS the time it sat on the lot before you bought it. The brake flush cleans the system and if i recall correctly there is a little more to the two year service than just these items.

I know it sounds expensive .. but this is the price of the toy.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:14 AM
the only thing you need to do at a porsche dealership is the yearly maintenance for the warranty to be effective. the rest is nonsense. when you pay 180 for an oil change, you are getting nothing but a standard oil change at inflated prices. same with the brake fluids and so on. all of that can be done at any local shop that works on porsches.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:34 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mr. Berlin
the only thing you need to do at a porsche dealership is the yearly maintenance for the warranty to be effective. the rest is nonsense. when you pay 180 for an oil change, you are getting nothing but a standard oil change at inflated prices. same with the brake fluids and so on. all of that can be done at any local shop that works on porsches.
If it's his car he technically doesn't have to do anything . He could try and save a buck , wait until 10K miles and by then the warranty may even expire and take it to any shop he wants.

I would not advise this ... but if his name is on the car's title he can choose when and how to service it and hope that Porsche covers him in the event of a problem. They might.

The reason I suggest extensive service is for two reasons -
1) Keeps the car in top shape
2) Shows authorized Porsche documentation to BOTH Porsche as well as the next buyer. It shows a meticulous effort to care for the car .

There are some owners who look at just the price . They buy a car from an independent lot , put an exhaust at one shop, springs at another, wheels from yet another -- and then when something breaks --where do they run ? To the dealership!!!!! And better yet --they think they are covered. When someone goes to buy their car .. its history looks more like a jigsaw puzzle than an organized maintenance program.

These are expensive cars . Saving a few bucks on a routine maintenace may be beneficial to hedge any future doubt that the car wasn't maintained. That may pay off in the long run .. either in repair or resale.

Lastly -- He might be able to shave a few bucks off the quoted fee if he shops a few dealerships. The only set price for anything is the one he agrees to pay.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:40 AM
im not saying you should cut corners to save a buck. all im saying is just because you have an expensive car doesnt mean you need to get ripped off on its service. When i talked to the service rep at my porsche dealership he said the only thing i need to do to keep the 4 year/50k warranty active is get the yearly maintenance check up. it runs about $150 at the dealership. thats the only work you should get done there. the rest can and should be outsourced.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:55 AM
im not saying you should cut corners to save a buck. all im saying is just because you have an expensive car doesnt mean you need to get ripped off on its service. When i talked to the service rep at my porsche dealership he said the only thing i need to do to keep the 4 year/50k warranty active is get the yearly maintenance check up. it runs about $150 at the dealership. thats the only work you should get done there. the rest can and should be outsourced.
The original poster's car is two years old . Using your 150 per year that makes it already 300 bucks plus the "outsourced" work that you suggest . That's got to be at least another 100 (maybe more) plus time . So he's up to roughly 400 bucks using your price numbers .

I am even suggesting that he call a few dealerships and see if he can knock that price down . He may not have tried but the phone call is free to ask . Plus he might get a free loaner car.

Then he gets a well serviced car and a very important Porsche service document for his records .

Old 03-17-2010, 05:45 AM
caveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nice
Just to be clear, this is not the first service. I had a one year low mileage service performed at the dealer a year ago - basically a $500 oil and filter change. So, while I agree that the oil is due, it has not, as Larry suggested, been in the car for years - Car was a February '08 production car that arrived at the dealer in late March and I took delivery in early April of '08. One year service was performed in late-March 2009. I generally do have service performed at the dealer for my cars but this just seems like a total rip off. Come on $12/quart for Mobil 1! I can buy it at Wal-Mart for less than $6. Would having a documented service by an independent shop with factory trained service techs really impact my warranty? I am being told otherwise.

http://www.danieljacobsllc.com/

Last edited by caveatesq; 03-17-2010 at 05:47 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:13 AM
300cd300sdl911 is infamous around these parts
Dan J

Hairy Dog Garage i.e. Dan Jacobs is top shelf

Old 03-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
The original poster's car is two years old . Using your 150 per year that makes it already 300 bucks plus the "outsourced" work that you suggest . That's got to be at least another 100 (maybe more) plus time . So he's up to roughly 400 bucks using your price numbers .

I am even suggesting that he call a few dealerships and see if he can knock that price down . He may not have tried but the phone call is free to ask . Plus he might get a free loaner car.

Then he gets a well serviced car and a very important Porsche service document for his records .
I'm not sure how you're not understanding what i'm saying, and I don't think I can explain it for a 4th time subbing in different words.

Last edited by Mr. Berlin; 03-17-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:09 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Dan and company are fantastic - you cannot go wrong (he works on my cars).

RE: Brake Fluid. Doesn't go by miles, goes by age and 2 years is the maximum limit.

Last edited by RonCT; 03-17-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by RonCT
Dan and company are fantastic - you cannot go wrong (he works on my cars).

RE: Brake Fluid. Doesn't go by miles, goes by age and 2 years is the maximum limit.

PM Sent

Old 03-17-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure how you're not understanding what i'm saying, and I don't think I can explain it for a 4th time subbing in different words.
I think you have missed my point.

It's not about money or even the service itself -it's about documentation with ones car and the benefit of using an authorized dealership above the private guy for ALL recommended service --even tires (so that if a rim is broken dealership bears accountability). Even if the service is identical .Even if the private guy is great.

It's being able to show both Porsche as well as the next guy that the service recommendations of the manufacturer were followed and that Porsche was included in the process. The privare guy can't give you that.

If you believe that an oil change is an oil change .. you are right!!!
If you belive what your "service rep" told you -- show it in writing with his signature . His word isn't worth what's written on paper.

If you believe that if the car needs a major service and the dealership is going to want to help you when you took it to the guy up the block -they might --but it they also might have a great excuse not to.

If I were buying a used car and I saw that the owner saved money going to private shops --it would be a red flag to pass on buying the car. I would want my days as asecond owner to have paperwork with authorozed technicians on my car doing the work .. and the extra expense ? that's what it costs.

Ultimately --it's his car . And your car belongs to you.
To each his own.

Last edited by yrralis1; 03-17-2010 at 01:21 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2 Year Service? Dan Jacobs?