997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997SC on the Dyno: 442 RWHP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 04:35 PM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
dude that's awesome!!!

it's amazing that SC has blessed two cars before you and is now stronger than ever

i'm envious

Old 03-18-2010, 05:31 PM
MichaelL is infamous around these partsMichaelL is infamous around these parts
Have you considered adding headers, catalytics & muffler? Potentially another 20 hp from improving the exhaust.

After you have had a chance to run the car hard, a report on water / oil temperature & fuel usage changes would be appreciated. Also, behavior running in hot weather, heavy traffic.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I have AWE 200 cell sport cats, and gundo partial bypass mufflers. I've run Fabspeed, Afterhours, and who knows what else, and this is my favorite combo to date. I've not added headers, as I don't think it'd make any difference at this point.

Gas milage is about 14 mpg in all around, city, traffic, highway, mixed.
Oil and engine temps are same as ever. This kit has it's own dedicated coolant system with Intercooler, lines, front radiator/ heat exchanger, pump, etc. so it keeps air intake temps cool.

Behavior in traffic is as stock. You only notice the difference when WOT at any RPM, and you get thrown forward. It's VERY easy to drive, and it's deceptive, since the power is so linear, literally building boost as RPM's climb. This is why SC's are great- they're driven by the main serpentine belt, so it's perfectly linear, with no lag.
CATTMAN

Old 03-18-2010, 06:26 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
Cattman,

Here is my dyno and fairly close to yours. The lower numbers are with the 3.8 inch pulley and the higher are with the 3.6 inch pulley. The other picture is the SPA gauge I installed. I went with PSI and air charge temp.
Also, by using a high pressure high flow fan directed into the rear engine area you will see a little higher numbers. Good numbers though! Good Job!

Old 03-18-2010, 07:52 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
2006997C4SCab,
Something ain't right. You're making 480 RWHP with the 3.6" pulley? That pulley should make around 4.5 psi boost, measured behind the throttle body.

I am running a 3.4" pulley and making 6 psi boost (measured behind the throttle body), so my numbers should be higher than yours, not the other way around.

Now, my numbers match up perfectly with the GTech data I logged, and are in lockstep with the numbers Stacy had with this exact kit, pulleys, etc. Everything lines up, except your dyno results- it's an outlier compared to all other VF-E SC data we've seen.

I know dynos can be off, or manipulated, etc., but since my dyno readings were the same as the GTech data, I have confidence that I am making a true 442 RWHP. Would you like to test your results with a GTech to be sure your dyno wasn't off? Again, I can loan you mine if you're willing to try it.

What kind of fan are you using, can you share the info and some pics, please?
CATTMAN

Last edited by Cattman; 03-18-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:05 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
510-530 at the crank is crazy. Nice work.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:47 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cattman
2006997C4SCab,
Something ain't right. You're making 480 RWHP with the 3.6" pulley? That pulley should make around 4.5 psi boost, measured behind the throttle body.

I am running a 3.4" pulley and making 6 psi boost (measured behind the throttle body), so my numbers should be higher than yours, not the other way around.

Now, my numbers match up perfectly with the GTech data I logged, and are in lockstep with the numbers Stacy had with this exact kit, pulleys, etc. Everything lines up, except your dyno results- it's an outlier compared to all other VF-E SC data we've seen.

I know dynos can be off, or manipulated, etc., but since my dyno readings were the same as the GTech data, I have confidence that I am making a true 442 RWHP. Would you like to test your results with a GTech to be sure your dyno wasn't off? Again, I can loan you mine if you're willing to try it.

What kind of fan are you using, can you share the info and some pics, please?
CATTMAN
I loaned him my Gtech already BUT he didn't get any good results(showed REALLY LOW readings for some reason)..I also tried to have him shoot me HIS Durametric logs BUT something was wrong with the cable,I think some sort of 'short'.

So he(Walter,if I remember correctly) tried all of this already with no luck!
We tried our best.......

As far as you John,

I have to say that your Gtech and dyno numbers are almost EXACTLY what we figured....So we can call your results...'CONFIRMED'.....congrats!
Just seems to be a whole lotta relief when everything corresponds with each other!
AND YES John....you have a BEAST and nobody can deny that with all of the data collected!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 03-18-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:24 AM
CanuckC4S has a spectacular aura aboutCanuckC4S has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Hat's off

I got a half chub when I heard about this earlier today. The numbers don't lie. Congrats on the big league HP. I'm sure alot of blood, sweat and tears went into this. Hat's off to Stacy, John and the little birdy.
Tried!! Tested!! and Proven!! is all I've got to say.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:03 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Cattman: Before you do any further tuning, get an accurate a/f ratio reading. You are nowhere near 14.3:1 at WOT.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:04 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
WOW!!! How did I miss this thread yesterday? Great work guys! Thats an amazing dyno

Jim

Old 03-19-2010, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Cattman: Before you do any further tuning, get an accurate a/f ratio reading. You are nowhere near 14.3:1 at WOT.
Here's my AFR chart, attached.
CATTMAN

Attached Images
File Type: bmp
AFR.bmp (150.1 KB, 42 views)
Old 03-19-2010, 09:23 AM
ghillie is infamous around these parts
Those are some really nice numbers.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:33 AM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
Behind the throttle plate via the same hose you are using I have a SPA digital boost sensor. It records a max of 6.1 PSI at red line with the 3.6 inch pulley. It recorded 4.5-4.7 PSI with the 3.8 inch pulley. (I have used rubber silicone sealant around all the piping so there should be no leaks.)
http://www.spatechnique.com/product_...ils.cfm?id=371
Comparing the 3.6 inch pulley to the previous 3.8 inch pulley shows an increase of approximately 1.5 PSI. (That is in line with Vortech’s claim of a 1-2 PSI increase with a one step down pulley size replacement. See below:
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=41

“Please Note
A change in one pulley size will usually effect boost 1-2 PSIG... down in diameter, up in boost and vice versa.”

In testing we found the X-51 header outperformed the Fabspeed I had previously. (The x-51 has a larger diameter) We also found that putting a high velocity fan pointed directly into the engine compartment to simulate the airflow normally created in motion increased HP also as well as lowered charge air temps. (No sucking in superheated air)
As for the G-Tech I could not get it to produce consistent results. I may have been doing something wrong; it just did not work for me. I also had a problem getting my Durametric cable to work. It would show a short in the system and shutdown my engine. The Porsche PWIS could not find any faults however. Since I have easy access to the PWIS I have not tried to figure out the Durametric.
As for the HP number shown by the DYNO I don’t really care what it says. I was and am more interested in what it drives like via the butt dyno. The car is very fast and I am very happy with the results. I wanted to up the performance to a level I would be happy with and then simply drive the car. I won’t argue the validity of this dyno’s numbers or accuracy because I have no idea. I can only tell you what was recorded at what date. The previously shown dyno was a comparison of the different size pulleys. Also, since my car is a 4 wheel drive I also took it to a 4 wheel drive Mustang dyno and it recorded 404 HP. How does that compare? Don’t know and don’t really care. Different dyno’s, different days, different ambient conditions all result in different numbers.
If I was interested in more performance I would not personally increase the boost from my current amount or add new mods but just go purchase a 997TT and mod it. (Yes I could afford one) So this is not a competition. I usually pick a project, finish it and move on. My latest was installing Laser Interceptor laser jammers on my Cayenne Turbo S.
My next project is to DE the 997 next month. I still lurk and am interested in your results but my engine modding program is complete.
Walt

Old 03-19-2010, 11:41 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 2006997C4SCab
Behind the throttle plate via the same hose you are using I have a SPA digital boost sensor. It records a max of 6.1 PSI at red line with the 3.6 inch pulley. It recorded 4.5-4.7 PSI with the 3.8 inch pulley. (I have used rubber silicone sealant around all the piping so there should be no leaks.)
http://www.spatechnique.com/product_...ils.cfm?id=371
Comparing the 3.6 inch pulley to the previous 3.8 inch pulley shows an increase of approximately 1.5 PSI. (That is in line with Vortech’s claim of a 1-2 PSI increase with a one step down pulley size replacement. See below:
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=41

“Please Note
A change in one pulley size will usually effect boost 1-2 PSIG... down in diameter, up in boost and vice versa.”

In testing we found the X-51 header outperformed the Fabspeed I had previously. (The x-51 has a larger diameter) We also found that putting a high velocity fan pointed directly into the engine compartment to simulate the airflow normally created in motion increased HP also as well as lowered charge air temps. (No sucking in superheated air)
As for the G-Tech I could not get it to produce consistent results. I may have been doing something wrong; it just did not work for me. I also had a problem getting my Durametric cable to work. It would show a short in the system and shutdown my engine. The Porsche PWIS could not find any faults however. Since I have easy access to the PWIS I have not tried to figure out the Durametric.
As for the HP number shown by the DYNO I don’t really care what it says. I was and am more interested in what it drives like via the butt dyno. The car is very fast and I am very happy with the results. I wanted to up the performance to a level I would be happy with and then simply drive the car. I won’t argue the validity of this dyno’s numbers or accuracy because I have no idea. I can only tell you what was recorded at what date. The previously shown dyno was a comparison of the different size pulleys. Also, since my car is a 4 wheel drive I also took it to a 4 wheel drive Mustang dyno and it recorded 404 HP. How does that compare? Don’t know and don’t really care. Different dyno’s, different days, different ambient conditions all result in different numbers.
If I was interested in more performance I would not personally increase the boost from my current amount or add new mods but just go purchase a 997TT and mod it. (Yes I could afford one) So this is not a competition. I usually pick a project, finish it and move on. My latest was installing Laser Interceptor laser jammers on my Cayenne Turbo S.
My next project is to DE the 997 next month. I still lurk and am interested in your results but my engine modding program is complete.
Walt
As I told you before, each pulley size does not translate into a 1.5 psi change in boost. That is, unless my reduction of 6 sizes means I am really running 15 psi+ with my 3.125 inch pulley.

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 03-19-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:47 AM
I guess I defer with what Vortech, the company that makes the supercharger, states on their website:

“Please Note

Either way, whatever.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997SC on the Dyno: 442 RWHP!