997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Got X51 oil pan installed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:08 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Got X51 oil pan installed...

And poured in 6 quarts of 15-50 oil mixed with 2qt of 5-50 oil. Process is very simple, it only required a little jig saw operation to cut off part of the baffle as Suncoast suggested it would be needed, but looking at original oil pan it was clearly visible where to cut. Most dangerous part of whole operation was not to overtight bolts during mounting it all back.

Will see if it will remedy now my hydraulic valve lifters knocking at next event. Season will open very soon...

Last edited by utkinpol; 03-19-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:59 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
And poured in 6 quarts of 15-50 oil mixed with 2qt of 5-50 oil. Process is very simple, it only required a little jig saw operation to cut off part of the baffle as Suncoast suggested it would be needed, but looking at original oil pan it was clearly visible where to cut. Most dangerous part of whole operation was not to overtight bolts during mounting it all back.

Will see if it will remedy now my hydraulic valve lifters knocking at next event. Season will open very soon...
What? No pictures?

Old 03-19-2010, 11:55 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by keninirvine
What? No pictures?
Not sure what to show, really. It was literally very easy, took old one off, put new one on. Suncoast includes sealant in the package, one should be careful not to put too much of it on so it would not protrude into engine as it can get loose and clog something.
Plus I was supposed to be working work instead of playint with my Porsche so I wanted to get it done fast.

One only confusion moment was when I did put 7 qt of oil and measured level it was showing blinking lowest bar so I added whole 8th quart and now it shows upper bar lit like it may be an overfill but it is hardly may be possible as even with full filter engine oil capacity is 8 liters. Still it is kinda strange.

Here is link that covers this install process fully:
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...n-install.html

Only relevant picture is this, attached.

PS. One more downside - as evidence shows mobil 1 oily spots on shirts do not come off at all after laundry. Well, I did not like that shirt very much anyway.

Attached Images  

Last edited by utkinpol; 03-19-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:59 AM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
cool

Old 03-19-2010, 02:52 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Whats the X51 oil pan get you? The new 9A1 motor carrys 9qts of oil or more,
why did you need a deeper pan or more oil. I am not being snarky I just dont know.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by OldGuy
Whats the X51 oil pan get you? The new 9A1 motor carrys 9qts of oil or more,
why did you need a deeper pan or more oil. I am not being snarky I just dont know.
I have '06 car so my engine is not 9A1. But it does not matter. Issue I had to deal with was related to excessive oil foaming as I suspect - after intense auto-x runs my valves lifters were knocking as they sucked in air instead of oil. X51 pan supposedly should reduce foaming to nothing as its baffles keep oil at the center much better than in stock pan. People also install it for same reason because while on the track oil gets pushed to a side in a stock pan and engine suffers from oil starvation. So X51 oil pan prevents it as well. deeper pan does not exist - but you can get pan extenders for $300 or so, it helps too against oil starvation. People who do not race their cars do not need any of that.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:19 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
I am under the impression that the X51 oil pan you got is for a 996 X51 kit, not a 997 version. There is no 997 X51 oil pan as my car has the full X51 Powerkit and the oil pan is exactly the same as in the regular Carrera S. I don't know if your car, since it is a Carrera and not an S, has the same pan as the Carrera S but, if it does, then you already had the same pan that a 997 with X51 would have too. This is not to start a controversy but more as a possible advise.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:33 AM
g911cab is infamous around these parts
cool

Old 03-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by cibergypsy
I am under the impression that the X51 oil pan you got is for a 996 X51 kit, not a 997 version. There is no 997 X51 oil pan as my car has the full X51 Powerkit and the oil pan is exactly the same as in the regular Carrera S. I don't know if your car, since it is a Carrera and not an S, has the same pan as the Carrera S but, if it does, then you already had the same pan that a 997 with X51 would have too. This is not to start a controversy but more as a possible advise.
That is correct, it was a 996 X51 option. X51 Pan is different and it is quite common to have it installed on 997 cars and Boxsters/Caymans. Baffles in it have different configuration and in fact they do work better. Or at least not worse than original pan does. 996/997 3.6L engine is exactly same in all regards from down below. Not so sure about 3.8L engine.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:37 AM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
I tried to install this in my 997S 3.8 and IT DID NOT FIT!

Tried everything too.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by mobonic

Tried everything too.
Did you try to cut that corner how I showed on that attached image?
Well, after I removed that corner it did go into place. what is somewhat nice - those baffles have rubber edges and edges were tight against engine walls so it should hopefully create better oil pool around pickup than with stock plastic baffles design.

I would not be too amused if 3.8L engine got different design of lower section but someone has told on renntech actually that both 3.6 and 3.8 engines are exactly same down below, so, go figure, I guess.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:53 AM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute

Tried everything too.

Interesting, what do you think prevented it from fitting mo?

Old 03-22-2010, 01:24 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
total BS:

Bought from Suncoast, they promised me it would fit.

Bough the 996 X51 pan and ln engineering spacer ($600 total).

Took it to my dealer, they talked with Suncoast about trimming and the trimmed the piece with a template provided by Suncoast.

They attempted over and over and also spoke with LN engineering.

Both parts did not fit. The bolt pattern was off on both pieces.

Suncoast refused to issue me a refund or return.

So I paid $600 in parts and $400 in labor...for what ended up being a oil change, after they put the stock pan back.

Last edited by mobonic; 03-22-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:48 PM
total BS:
Both parts did not fit. The bolt pattern was off on both pieces.
Sounds very odd as stock oil pan has same part # 996 107 031 55 for both 3.6L and 3.8L IMHO and as it starts with '996' so theoretically it should be same thing on all engines.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Theoretically and actuality are 2 different things..

trust me I tried it.....

here are pics of the stock 997 3.8 oil pan... look a lot like the 996 X51:

Name:  IMG_0064.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  118.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0067.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  121.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0062.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  102.3 KB

Here is the X51 pan:

Name:  x51oilpan.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  27.4 KB

I work on certainty .... and trying it for yourself is the only way to tell.. so thats what I did

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got X51 oil pan installed...