997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Bose optimal setting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 03:48 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
As I understand it, there is a cheap mod (ie stuffing) you can do to the subwoofer enclosure to dramatically improve it in the Porsche's factory BOSE system. I must say I have NOT heard the latest BOSE system in the 2010 Porsche, but those I've heard in other OEM applications, and one I DID own (01 Mazda MilleniaS) were underwhelming across the board.

OTOH, The HK OEM system I heard in a friend's '06 Range Rover absolutely rocked in contrast to anything I've heard from BOSE for autos. As an aside, I too, am a professional musician, 35+ years.

YMMV.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 06-07-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:19 PM
silver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by akim47
I was just messing around with the Bose, and i can't help but notice how "bassy" the system is. Does anyone else feel the same way? I even turned down the bass a couple of notches, but for some reason I am back in the days with a 15" kicker in my 'Nissan Sentra... I had the Bose in my Denali and ML in the Lexus, and the bass was never like this....

Completely agreed. It does sound like I have a bazooka sub in the trunk. what bothered me was that the heavy base creates unnecessary vibration and that can lead to other parts around the speaker or sub housing starting to squeak or just a little looser. I still had vibration when I dialed down the sub to -1. I'm back to all zeros and I'm fine with that. Best sound is still the sound of the flat six like many here have said.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:44 PM
shuffles is infamous around these parts
As I've mentioned elsewhere on the board, I got a used S550 as my DD recently. Oddly, the Bose in my '09 C4S sounds wayyyyy better than the HK system in the Benz. I'm sure it has to do with size of the car or something, but it's astounding difference. I was listening to "Always Strapped" (lil' wayne and birdman) this morning from iPod in the Porsche and sounded great, good bass and solid sound. I listen to that same song on iPod in the Benz and it sounds pretty weak, bass is not very responsive. Slightly better high's in the Benz, but absolutely no bass.

AS far as sound settings in the Porsche, I use [Fader] -2 (favoring the rear) and [Balance] -1 (Favoring passenger side). I use +3 for Bass and +6 for the Treble. Someone else mentioned these settings on the board about a year or so ago, and it's worked for me great ever since. Oh, and surround ON.

Last edited by shuffles; 06-07-2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Edit: And surround on!
Old 06-07-2010, 07:45 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
There is a Bose system in the car?

I still listen to the sweet engine sounds. But I am still a noob!

Old 06-07-2010, 09:16 PM
REBor8 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
hmmm, i noticed that everyone's tendency is to have both the treble and the bass in + level.

however, i found the -2 bass has clearer sound and the sub still kicks with a nice thump.. and mid-bass comes out alive with out a lot of distortion.
I, for one, am totally satisfied with the Bose system. I leave the bass at "0" and treble adjusted to "+4" for everything.
I don't understand the need for anything more in one of these cars. Unless you're sitting with the engine off, wind and tire noise provide more distortion to the experience than any upgrade compensate for.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Gator Skin is infamous around these parts
I will be upgrading my stereo with the Borla harmonic sound system next week. This should solve my Bose system problems.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:30 PM
akim47 is infamous around these partsakim47 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Gator Skin
I will be upgrading my stereo with the Borla harmonic sound system next week. This should solve my Bose system problems.
tempted to do the same... but the PSE will have to work for a couple of months...

The Bose isnt a big deal one way or another since my daily commute consists of Dan Patrick or Colin Cowherd in the mornings and Petros and Money (sometimes Tony Bruno - unfortunately) in the evening (Sports Talk)...

Old 06-09-2010, 05:55 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by akim47
I was just messing around with the Bose, and i can't help but notice how "bassy" the system is. Does anyone else feel the same way? I even turned down the bass a couple of notches, but for some reason I am back in the days with a 15" kicker in my 'Nissan Sentra... I had the Bose in my Denali and ML in the Lexus, and the bass was never like this....
The Bose in my 997S.2 has a 'Linear' setting that does exactly what it says - equalises the response a lot closer to 'flat' and removes the boomy, bass-heavy sound. A big improvement to say the least!

I didn't have Bose in my 997S.1 so I don't know if that 'Linear' option is available in the earlier PCM.