997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

No one tells you these things....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Salespunk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Auto_Union

First, if Porsche does indeed increase the wheelbase 1000mm as you say
Umm, not to be a nit picker, but 1000 mm is one meter or a little over 3'

BTW the picture with the roof rack is awesome.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:58 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
100mm = 3.937"

Old 03-19-2010, 09:00 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EAMGC4S
I hear what you're saying but many use these as daily drivers. Not a big deal that you can't even fit golf clubs, but for Pete's sake it would be nice if you were able to do upgrades without taking 2 cars!!!! In the future I will send everything to the shop. Even my M3 held 4 19" wheels when I had to change winters for summers.
Even when I had a big car .. I don't cart my parts. All I do is hand the keys and pick up my car. I don't even order the parts . They do it and the entire process consolidates to the tuner. I feel its best that way because if there's any snags I feel it's better for a shop who buys and sells many of these parts to resolve things than an individual owner.

After installation my stock parts are delivered to me and sometimes I just leave them with the tuner . I don't plan on parting out my cars and I don't want the clutter .

I would never put four wheels in my car. When younger I did .. I used to do all my swimming pool maintenance (my pool looked fantastic ) and all it took was one chlorine spill in my 7 series BMW, and a pet that urinated in my 300zxTurbo to cure me of do it youselfing.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Salespunk
Umm, not to be a nit picker, but 1000 mm is one meter or a little over 3'
My bad, I meant 100mm. adias corrected me in the post below yours.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:32 AM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
Was planning to go to Doc's to get this done but they are unfortunately 1.5 hrs away from me. I live in Sumter.... Since I realized I will need 2 cars to get the wheels placed, I'm just going to do it locally. Apparently my TechArt springs are coming directly from the factory in Germany (via SharkWerks) and should be here early next week. I have already taken off Thurs (recheduled all my patients ) to go to Doc's and drop it off for minor surgery. I should be able to get some good pics with new wheels vs old wheels and then new wheels w/ springs. Exciting!!!!!
I understand the 'problem' transporting the wheels! My office is near Doc's, so maybe I'll drop by there on the way home. I usually get done around 4 or so. I would love to see and hear your car!

Old 03-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Not possible to haul wheels and tires but the P-car storage is relatively huge. I have another car (Ford GT) which is really a civilized race car. No glove compartment, center console storage, door pockets and the front trunk, though 1-2 cu feet, gets hot enough to cook a meatball sub in a 20 minute trip.
So, as noted above, most GT owners travel long distance with FedEx as their virtual storage space.
I actually love the fact that I can carry a bunch of stuff in the Porsche. Just no large objects. Not sure how anyone can have it as their only car. In my view, there is a difference between a DD and an OD (only driver).

Old 03-20-2010, 12:23 PM
pcs
pcs has a spectacular aura aboutpcs has a spectacular aura about
Verde -

I agree with everything you said. I love my C4S for my DD and fun car - but there's no way I'm getting rid of my Explorer. In addition, my wife has an Expedition and my son has a crew cab Super Duty to haul the Miata...

Old 03-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
"No one tells you this stuff"

Seriously? You need to be told that you can't fit 20" wheels with tires mounted into your 2 door sports car? You thread title sounds as if you are saying this "problem" is somehow someones else's fault. Who exactly was supposed to inform you of this major oversight?

These cars are not SUV's.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:39 PM
EAMGC4S is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
"No one tells you this stuff"

Seriously? You need to be told that you can't fit 20" wheels with tires mounted into your 2 door sports car? You thread title sounds as if you are saying this "problem" is somehow someones else's fault. Who exactly was supposed to inform you of this major oversight?

These cars are not SUV's.

Actually, this was a light-hearted rant about the act of trying to fit something into the porsche. As you may note we have other cars. There are a few people who are new to the forum coming from AMg's, M3's, S4's, etc which are bigger inside. I had an M3 and currently have an E63 AMG. The wife also has her own transportation. I am not saying that any of this is anyone's fault. My porsche is 9 months old and has 2000 miles. It is NOT my daily driver, and is only used for day off/weekend fun!!! Look at a damn Mini Cooper, it is outwardly tiny and inwardly huge. Why is it that I am not allowed to try to fit mods in my car and make a comment regarding such? Of course it is not an SUV, but again, it would be nice if it could fit anything!!!! I did not expect it to fit all the wheels but more than one isn't an unreasonable expectiation.

I was merely stating for those that are unaware, that things you might think will fit in the porsche, won't.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by JenK
I understand the 'problem' transporting the wheels! My office is near Doc's, so maybe I'll drop by there on the way home. I usually get done around 4 or so. I would love to see and hear your car!

Had a little 'snafu' today. Mounted the rims and tires and have a slight vibration 55-60mph. None below and none above that. Have to get back to the shop and have them rebalanced. I guess I could ask Doc's to do that since they have to take them off and then do an alignment afterwards anyway. Not sure I want to drive that far with even a slight vibration in the wheel.... We'll see........ Will post pics of the new rims tomorrow after the car is cleaned up a little.....

Old 03-20-2010, 10:51 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
... I was merely stating for those that are unaware, that things you might think will fit in the porsche, won't.
The point is that you point out the obvious and keep insisting that a streamlined sports car must be a hauler. Even your AMG has difficulty to carry 4 large mounted wheels without severely cramping its style and perhaps leaving a few scuffs in its polished interior. Just funny.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:28 AM
nijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud of
I have a wheel shop store my second set

This way I just show up and 10 min.'s later I am out the door with the other set on.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by adias
The point is that you point out the obvious and keep insisting that a streamlined sports car must be a hauler. Even your AMG has difficulty to carry 4 large mounted wheels without severely cramping its style and perhaps leaving a few scuffs in its polished interior. Just funny.

AMG handled the wheels fine. No scuffs as they're covered in plastic. No harm, no foul. What's funny is that you are a fan of a roof rack to transport things but believe that this car should not haul anything. I can understand that changing the interior dimensions would cause probs and change the dynamics of the car.

AGAIN, I do not believe that the car needs to be changed in any way, utility varies based on definition. Letting people know that the rear seats/rear-seat area is basically a joke doesn't mean that I am saying they [porsche] should fix that.

There is a difference between letting people know something and saying that it should be fixed!!!! I am aiming at the former..... Many people read these forums prior to obtaining a 911. (I was also one of those). Some use them as a daily driver or only car. Most do not know how much they can actually place in the back. This was meant as a 'think more about this vehicle as a 2nd or 3rd car' vs an only car.

I guess some of us just aren't as intelligent as you guys who can look into the back of a 911 and know automatically what size items will fit since unlike 2 seaters, THERE IS ACTUALLY A BACK SEAT. Forgive me....

Old 03-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Diablo79 is infamous around these parts
No change!

And I hope it stays that way....that's what the crappe-yenne and pansy-mera are for

Originally Posted by NorthVan
Buy a tow vehicle, and a trailer. It can tow your car and gear, this is one thing the 997 isn't good for.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:11 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
BTW, I will be there on Thursday at noon to drop off my car for an oil change!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No one tells you these things....