997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

No one tells you these things....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 06:38 PM
EAMGC4S is infamous around these parts
No one tells you these things....

Sorry but just wanted to let everyone planning to upgrade rims and tires know that there is no way on God's green earth that you can fit 4 rims or tires in your car. As a matter of fact 1 (yes one) 20" rim took up the entire back... It is a 245/30/20. The other is precariously propped in the front seat. I couldn't even get the 325/25/20 into the car!!!!! These do already have tires mounted. Now I have 2 wheels in the porsche and 2 wheels in the AMG. It is at these times that I really need an SUV!!! Now the wife has to go with me to get the tires mounted tomorrow Maybe next time I'll have them ship the damn things directly to the shop. Oh well, live and learn.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:44 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by EAMGC4S
Sorry but just wanted to let everyone planning to upgrade rims and tires know that there is no way on God's green earth that you can fit 4 rims or tires in your car. As a matter of fact 1 (yes one) 20" rim took up the entire back... It is a 245/30/20. The other is precariously propped in the front seat. I couldn't even get the 325/25/20 into the car!!!!! These do already have tires mounted. Now I have 2 wheels in the porsche and 2 wheels in the AMG. It is at these times that I really need an SUV!!! Now the wife has to go with me to get the tires mounted tomorrow Maybe next time I'll have them ship the damn things directly to the shop. Oh well, live and learn.
ship to the shop of course. easiest way.
completely different dilemma is how to get racing set of rims to the track if you do not want to drive on them and do not have a trailer. some folks apparently get them on a roof but it is just plain crazy.

JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
so, did you go to Doc's??? Can't wait to see your upgrades! Do you live in Columbia?

Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
Put one in the "frunk" and close it as much as you can. Use a bungee cord to hold it down. All the idiots on Saturday morning do this when they buy stuff that's too big for their cars at "Home Debit" and "Low-ee's".

Old 03-19-2010, 06:51 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Auto_Union
Put one in the "frunk" and close it as much as you can. Use a bungee cord to hold it down. All the idiots on Saturday morning do this when they buy stuff that's too big for their cars at "Home Debit" and "Low-ee's".

this reminds me when I bought a new computer about 10 years ago....a Compaq desktop with huge monitor and etc. The 'boxes' were HUGE! I had a BMW 325i cab at the time and had to put the top down to get it home! In contrast, I just purchased a MAC book, a smaller than briefcase size case....

Old 03-19-2010, 07:28 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
And... Is that news? I guess PAG marketing is listening to people like you who need the 911 as a hauler, given their rear seat room increase in the future 991. There goes the neighborhood.

Last edited by adias; 03-19-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by JenK
so, did you go to Doc's??? Can't wait to see your upgrades! Do you live in Columbia?

Was planning to go to Doc's to get this done but they are unfortunately 1.5 hrs away from me. I live in Sumter.... Since I realized I will need 2 cars to get the wheels placed, I'm just going to do it locally. Apparently my TechArt springs are coming directly from the factory in Germany (via SharkWerks) and should be here early next week. I have already taken off Thurs (recheduled all my patients ) to go to Doc's and drop it off for minor surgery. I should be able to get some good pics with new wheels vs old wheels and then new wheels w/ springs. Exciting!!!!!

Old 03-19-2010, 07:48 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
roof rack

Old 03-19-2010, 07:57 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Buy a tow vehicle, and a trailer. It can tow your car and gear, this is one thing the 997 isn't good for.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by adias
And... Is that news? I guess PAG marketing is listening to people like you who need the 911 as a hauler, given their rear seat room increase in the future 991. There goes the neighborhood.

I hear what you're saying but many use these as daily drivers. Not a big deal that you can't even fit golf clubs, but for Pete's sake it would be nice if you were able to do upgrades without taking 2 cars!!!! In the future I will send everything to the shop. Even my M3 held 4 19" wheels when I had to change winters for summers.

There will always be purists but realize the much 'disliked' Cayenne has kept most of us in Porsches and it is their most popular vehicle. Panamera still looks ugly but I guess it serves it's purpose as well. Gotta appeal to the masses to stay in business.... and more importantly turn a profit..... Sorry that some of us want more.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by KK Moto
roof rack

Call me old fashioned, but unless I track my car and carry wheels on top, this thing will NEVER see a roof rack.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:03 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Here's "Pure" for you......... Or a little crazy. Works for me though

Old 03-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
adias my friend,

You are really making a lot of assumptions here. Before you continue with this "pity party" you seem to be throwing let me remind you of a couple things.

First, if Porsche does indeed increase the wheelbase 1000mm as you say (and for the sake of everyone else reading this Porsche AG has not said anything official as far as I can find) it doesn't mean that the length of the car is going to be effected. 1000mm is slightly less than 4 inches so that means the front wheels get pushed forward by about 2 inches and the rear wheels get pushed backward about 2 inches. For some reason you want to assume the (almost) 4 inches will be used for rear seat room. What leads you to conclude that?

Second, even if your assumption is correct you still have options. You can continue driving the 997 and earlier series for the rest of your life as Porsche and others will continue to make parts available to keep them going long into the future. Heck, you can still drive perfectly restored 356's today and the last of those cars rolled off the assembly line about 45 years ago.

Where you one of those guys who went ballistic when Porsche announced the 996 wasn't going to be air cooled. Did the 996 "pancake headlights" bother you? You got used to them, right? You'll get used to the 991 too. I'm going to save all your posts on this subject and in a few years from now when you take delivery of your 991 I'm going to re-post them and we can all have a good laugh.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:42 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EAMGC4S
I hear what you're saying but many use these as daily drivers. Not a big deal that you can't even fit golf clubs, but for Pete's sake it would be nice if you were able to do upgrades without taking 2 cars!!!! In the future I will send everything to the shop. Even my M3 held 4 19" wheels when I had to change winters for summers.

There will always be purists but realize the much 'disliked' Cayenne has kept most of us in Porsches and it is their most popular vehicle. Panamera still looks ugly but I guess it serves it's purpose as well. Gotta appeal to the masses to stay in business.... and more importantly turn a profit..... Sorry that some of us want more.
I like Cayennes and Panameras. And I like the idea of a roof carrier for the 911 too.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Auto_Union
adias my friend,

You are really making a lot of assumptions here. Before you continue with this "pity party" you seem to be throwing let me remind you of a couple things.

First, if Porsche does indeed increase the wheelbase 1000mm as you say (and for the sake of everyone else reading this Porsche AG has not said anything official as far as I can find) it doesn't mean that the length of the car is going to be effected. 1000mm is slightly less than 4 inches so that means the front wheels get pushed forward by about 2 inches and the rear wheels get pushed backward about 2 inches. For some reason you want to assume the (almost) 4 inches will be used for rear seat room. What leads you to conclude that?

Second, even if your assumption is correct you still have options. You can continue driving the 997 and earlier series for the rest of your life as Porsche and others will continue to make parts available to keep them going long into the future. Heck, you can still drive perfectly restored 356's today and the last of those cars rolled off the assembly line about 45 years ago.

Where you one of those guys who went ballistic when Porsche announced the 996 wasn't going to be air cooled. Did the 996 "pancake headlights" bother you? You got used to them, right? You'll get used to the 991 too. I'm going to save all your posts on this subject and in a few years from now when you take delivery of your 991 I'm going to re-post them and we can all have a good laugh.
I think you should calm down. FYI the 991 4" wheelbase increase has been confirmed by Weissach. You may not care but some of us do, and there's a very good reason for that.

You jumped on a reply I contributed pointing out to the OP that a 911 is not a hauler and correlating the 991 wheelbase increase (widely stated marketing reason) with his desires. Are you the forum police?

Also FYI... I liked air-cooled cars and liked the new '99 water-cooled cars. I owned a 2000 C4 and loved it. Did you own one?

It's fascinating that you criticize my positions and then go on lecturing me on what I should or should not do. I do not know what your Porsche experience is, but I've been around these things a long time and yes I have opinions. Why do they bother you?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No one tells you these things....