997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Help! Very graphic pictures of rust accumulation on a 3 month old 997.2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 10:07 AM
wolfnards has a spectacular aura aboutwolfnards has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Fahrer
I would use water first to get it off.....lots and lots of water from the hose without rubbing.
Thanks Fahrer. I decided not to touch it and bring it straight to the dealership where i purchased their Simoniz protection which includes a 5 year gurantee on paint protection. We'll see how full of $hit their product is .

Old 03-22-2010, 10:21 AM
ls03od is infamous around these parts
Please don't take this the wrong way, not trying to be a smart a$$. I know hindsight's always 20/20, but you might want to invest in a car cover for those times you're away.
It's the first thing I bought after I got my car. Even though my car usually sits in my garage, I'm afraid my wife might put a ding in it... she parks in the other half of our two-car garage.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by ls03od
Please don't take this the wrong way, not trying to be a smart a$$. I know hindsight's always 20/20, but you might want to invest in a car cover for those times you're away.
It's the first thing I bought after I got my car. Even though my car usually sits in my garage, I'm afraid my wife might put a ding in it... she parks in the other half of our two-car garage.

definitely didn't take the wrong way... lesson learned the hard way. you are absolutely right on that. Thanks for the feedback...

Old 03-22-2010, 12:28 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
I think you'll be ok as long as someone doesn't rub it into the paint while trying to get it off. The key is to remove the layers gently. Lots of water, then spray with a good cleaner that can break it down on contact then rinse some more and repeat.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:44 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Very sorry to see what's happened here.

My .02 is to read your Simoniz contract VERY, VERY carefully. There are likely certain exclusions or other conditions that could render your coverage void. I'm not trying to scare you at all, just that claims people are very good at what they do -- and if they can find cause not to cover your damage -- that's their job. If the can't find cause, they push the paper and cut a check. The former is where/how they keep their jobs.

Good luck!!

Old 03-22-2010, 12:53 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
This is the most misleading post I've ever seen here. The OP's photo is up there with the worst tabloid stories.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by ntlgnt1
I think you'll be ok as long as someone doesn't rub it into the paint while trying to get it off. The key is to remove the layers gently. Lots of water, then spray with a good cleaner that can break it down on contact then rinse some more and repeat.

Thanks for the tip - i decided not to touch it in case i screw it up, so i went to the dealer directly. Otherwise, the water drench technique is definitely the way to go

Old 03-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
Very sorry to see what's happened here.

My .02 is to read your Simoniz contract VERY, VERY carefully. There are likely certain exclusions or other conditions that could render your coverage void. I'm not trying to scare you at all, just that claims people are very good at what they do -- and if they can find cause not to cover your damage -- that's their job. If the can't find cause, they push the paper and cut a check. The former is where/how they keep their jobs.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the input, Taylor. You're right, it sounds too good to be true. Fortunately, the apartment complex offered to take care of the bill if I incur any charges. They are probably afriad I will take them to court - which will be the case if i'm not happy with the outcome. thanks for your support. keep you posted.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by adias
This is the most misleading post I've ever seen here. The OP's photo is up there with the worst tabloid stories.
sorry to waste your time addidas

Old 03-22-2010, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by wolfnards
Thanks for the input, Taylor. You're right, it sounds too good to be true. Fortunately, the apartment complex offered to take care of the bill if I incur any charges. They are probably afriad I will take them to court - which will be the case if i'm not happy with the outcome. thanks for your support. keep you posted.

That should give you some peace of mind to know that the apartment complex will fit the bill if needed.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
+1. I have a cover for every car we own and, unlike many people, I always use them. I keep my Porsche outside, under a cover (I know, it's a sin, but I keep others in the garage - also covered) and it shows no sign of environmental damage. Plus I avoid that ugly 'falling rust buildup'.

Originally Posted by ls03od

Old 03-23-2010, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by Verde
+1. I have a cover for every car we own and, unlike many people, I always use them. I keep my Porsche outside, under a cover (I know, it's a sin, but I keep others in the garage - also covered) and it shows no sign of environmental damage. Plus I avoid that ugly 'falling rust buildup'.

Awesome - I think this will be a future purchase. Question: is it necessary to wach the car before you put the cover on? don't want to add any scratches by putting/keeping the cover on.

Thanks,

wolf

Old 03-25-2010, 08:47 PM
Vladm has a spectacular aura aboutVladm has a spectacular aura aboutVladm has a spectacular aura about
I always do.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:39 AM
Originally Posted by wolfnards
Awesome - I think this will be a future purchase. Question: is it necessary to wach the car before you put the cover on? don't want to add any scratches by putting/keeping the cover on.

Thanks,

wolf
I do and definitely recommend washing the car before you cover it. Any dirt on the car may scratch the surface as the cover is put on and taken off. Another thing to consider is that if the car isn't washed, you'll be getting the inside of the cover dirty. This will increase the scratches you get over time.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:06 AM
boxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud of
I feel for ya. That happened to my car when I used to live in NYC, and parked it at an underground garage. It is some nasty stuff coming from those overhead pipes. I had to use some rubbing compound to finally get that crud off, and my garage guys ended up covering my car each time they parked it to keep the stuff off.