997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Thank you Porsche! :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Vladm has a spectacular aura aboutVladm has a spectacular aura aboutVladm has a spectacular aura about
Thank you Porsche! :)

My 997 was making a very unusual random squeaking noise when taking off in first gear. First dealer replaced the belt, but no fix. Second dealer replaced the throw-out bearing, no fix. Meanwhile the factory warranty expired.
At that point Porsche got involved and asked me to pay for the tear down so they can inspect the clutch again. I politely refused since the car only had 26k on it and the dealer said the clutch was in great shape. The service manager at Suburban imports took upon himself to cover the tear down labor cost and presented the situation to the Porsche rep. Porsche admitted that the materials used in some 06 clutches was questionable and gave me a brand new clutch!

Yes, it took them almost 8 months to figure it out but they came through for me.

Thank you Suburban Imports, and thank you Porsche!

Old 03-21-2010, 03:15 PM
thealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to all
Glad to hear it all worked out. I'm actually experiencing the same type of sound with my 06 clutch. It doesn't do it all the time, but when it does it sounds like metal shearing off. Certainly not the most pleasant sound in the world, and certainly not with 12k on the clock. Did they go into greater detail than simply questionable materials? Thanks.

-Alex

Old 03-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Vladm has a spectacular aura aboutVladm has a spectacular aura aboutVladm has a spectacular aura about
Alex,

The sound was very close to a slipping belt noise.. First gear, sometimes reverse and almost always uphill. Damn it was annoying...
I have to go back to the dealership soon to get all the paperwork for my file, and at that time I will get more info and will post it.

Vlad

Old 03-21-2010, 03:57 PM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
When my window is down I can hear a noise that I might describe as a squeel or squeek for a brief moment at the moment of engagement, just before I come right off the pedal.

I have a cpo so I should be okay unless the try to play the wear and tear card. Knowing Porsche is aware of the problem is a good thing if that's the case.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:05 PM
That's the noise. I could even hear it with the windows up.

Last edited by Vladm; 03-21-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:13 PM
MLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of light
That's awesome! I will consider them next time I take my car in for service as the service manager at Lavery is a bafoon.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:14 PM
iliasgk74 is infamous around these parts
Do you have any papers from porsche about that?
because i have the same problem

Old 03-21-2010, 04:54 PM
DBV
DBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud of
Glad to hear Porsche took care of the problem! For those of you with similar problems, I would explain to the service manager what Vladm experienced. Chances are its a known issue.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:47 AM
thealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to all
Good to know. Thanks to all the chimed in. You're right Vlad, that's exactly the sound and certainly the conditions you experienced it under are the same as mine. Hopefully my dealer will be cool.

-Alex

Old 03-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Luzy_V8 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Vladm
...... The service manager at Suburban imports took upon himself to cover the tear down labor cost......

Was the service manager's name Andy L. ?

Old 03-22-2010, 03:54 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Vladm
Alex,

The sound was very close to a slipping belt noise.. First gear, sometimes reverse and almost always uphill. Damn it was annoying...
I have to go back to the dealership soon to get all the paperwork for my file, and at that time I will get more info and will post it.

Vlad
I get something like that but only when car is very hot and I abuse clutch a bit - when going uphill into garage I hear something at clutch engaging moment.

So what was it named officially? Did you have this noise constantly and repeatably whenever car was cold/hot? I was for non-related issues at dealer couple of times but never was able to recreate this sound and as I got used to clutch quite well this noise went away by itself it seems.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:54 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
I have the same issue once my car warms up a bit. My mechanic thought it was the throw out bearing.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:13 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sizquik
I have the same issue once my car warms up a bit. My mechanic thought it was the throw out bearing.
I was told same thing by independent mechanic but this bearing is not something that gets replaced by warranty as I was told by dealer. So I am quite curious what is the exact path that should be taken to get a new clutch for free.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:38 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by utkinpol
I was told same thing by independent mechanic but this bearing is not something that gets replaced by warranty as I was told by dealer. So I am quite curious what is the exact path that should be taken to get a new clutch for free.
It's safe to say that I am SOL. I have an aftermarket warranty but the clutch, throwout bearing, etc. are excluded by name. I probably could have gotten them to replace it during the first 30 days but the problem didn't even pop up until 60 + days into ownership.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Reply to Luzy V8 -Yes I think so. Nice guy!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thank you Porsche! :)