997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

protective grid in front of the radiator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:17 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
protective grid in front of the radiator

Hi,

Does anybody know who sells/makes those protective grids one could see on GT3 bumpers - black stainless steel mesh in front of all radiators?

I am going to take bumper off for 3rd radiator install and want to put those grids on as well but cannot find it online. It has to fit standard C2 bumper.

Thanks, Paul.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:26 AM
geestyleed is infamous around these parts
You might have a look at fvd. I hope that is the stuff you are looking for.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:55 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by geestyleed
You might have a look at fvd. I hope that is the stuff you are looking for.
Thanks, it is exactly what I was looking for!

But, well, it`s $250... Does anybody know of same stuff, but, well, cheaper?

if it does not exist in known universe I will get this one of course. I sort of hoped it would be below $100, after all it is just a piece of mesh...

Quick search on ebay shows that grill steel mesh is quite expensive and I am not up to cutting it from homedepot supplies. Seems like FVD option is pretty reasonable yet it costs more than radiator itself. Kinda crazy but what can you do...

Last edited by utkinpol; 03-24-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:08 AM
spud99 has a spectacular aura aboutspud99 has a spectacular aura aboutspud99 has a spectacular aura about
I went to a steel supply shop and bought some stainless mesh, cut it to fit using metal shears, used a dab of silicone cement on each corner, a twist of wire over the center divider and poof - protection. The hard part was removing the bumper cover. It took about 2 hours total and cost about $25 for materials.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:27 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Here is a DIY thread for the GT3 Grill, same thing for the Carrera bumper.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...le-screen.html

Old 03-24-2010, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by spud99
I went to a steel supply shop and bought some stainless mesh, cut it to fit using metal shears
Nah, I`m too lazy for that... Plus I am not sure I know any stores in my neighborhood that could sell good quality stainless mesh. I already looked in couple of local hardware stores - they did not have any.

But I do agree it would be the most cost effective way.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Here is a DIY thread for the GT3 Grill, same thing for the Carrera bumper.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...le-screen.html
Where did he get that mesh sheet? It is exactly what I looked for - idiots at home depot told me that they never heard of that, local store does not have em too. It is exactly the thing! Where did it come from?

I see where it came from, what I am asking is - if it sells online anywhere. It does not seem like it...

Last edited by utkinpol; 03-24-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:35 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spud99
I went to a steel supply shop and bought some stainless mesh, cut it to fit using metal shears, used a dab of silicone cement on each corner, a twist of wire over the center divider and poof - protection. The hard part was removing the bumper cover. It took about 2 hours total and cost about $25 for materials.
Same here. I used a 3/8" grid pattern wire mesh and used the same procedure to attach to screens to the openings except I used a 2 part epoxy stick to secure the screen inside and a couple of thin black zip ties to hold the screen to the outer center divider. However, I did it without removing the bumper cover and ended up with the scratches and cuts on my hands from the wire mesh to prove it. I got them in and they look great, but removing the cover is probably the better choice.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:38 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Where did he get that mesh sheet? It is exactly what I looked for - idiots at home depot told me that they never heard of that, local store does not have em too. It is exactly the thing! Where did it come from?

I see where it came from, what I am asking is - if it sells online anywhere. It does not seem like it...
I have seen it at Home Depot locally, I found it in the concrete section.

However I have heard that Stainless Steel, Galvanized, or aluminum is best to use, as they won't rust.

Here is one example of a reseller that I found via google.

http://www.twpinc.com/

Old 03-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by NorthVan
I have seen it at Home Depot locally, I found it in the concrete section.

However I have heard that Stainless Steel, Galvanized, or aluminum is best to use, as they won't rust.

Here is one example of a reseller that I found via google.

http://www.twpinc.com/
I have regular 'stainless' mesh from homedepot in my yard and it got completely rusty in less than 3 years so I avoided it. It has to be anodized/galvanized. Aluminum one does not hold paint well and I wanted it black. Plus mesh has to be pretty rigid to sustain direct cone impact at 60mph. Well, life is just more complicated than it has to be...

What they had in that posting from OSH store was perfect but I did not see stuff like that nowhere... Heck with it, let if be $250 rip off. I just hope it has better quality steel than one from homedepot.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:59 AM
NJTarga4 is infamous around these parts
Cargraphic makes it-yes it is expensive but it fits

Old 03-24-2010, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by NJTarga4
Cargraphic makes it-yes it is expensive but it fits
yeah, it is what was listed in second post right above in FVD link.
But it is still a rip-off.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:15 AM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
I used the same stuff that Daytonaviolet used in the DIY thread that Ed posted. I'm sure you saw in that thread that the stuff can be bought at OSH. Not sure if they have an OSH where you are, but it's about $40. If you can't seem to find anything to use, I can pick some up for you and ship it to you if you like.

Matt

Old 03-24-2010, 05:56 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Here's a picture of mine. Cargraphic. Bought it from Brian at RSS (sponsor here on the boards).

Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2010, 06:44 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Question: what happens when those grills are installed and fine debris gets through them (and it will)? It seems that to remove it the bumper must be taken off...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: protective grid in front of the radiator