997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Picky about parking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
I try to park next to cars that convey a sense of asthestic appreciation.
Never park by and suv or mnivan, Prius is out of the question. a BMW or merc are usualy safe bets. Also, look for dirty cars, that mean they don't care about paint.

My wife jokes that we can add 15 minutes onto every trip to allow for my parking.
We went to a memorial yesterday and although the lot was only about 60% full we still parked 4 blocks away.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:59 AM
MichaelL is infamous around these partsMichaelL is infamous around these parts
When I bought my 997, I resolved not to obsess over the potential damage that will be caused by incompetent drivers in parking situations, road hazards, valets and the like. If you use the car, deterioration will happen. In 4.5 years, I have had to pay out around $1500 for correcting minor issues of this sort. Another $1000 was covered by his insurance for a kid that ran into me in traffic. If you are afraid of possible damage, why use the car? Buy it and park it in a garage under a cover.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:04 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Well I guess having a prosthetic leg has a perk. LOL...gotta look on the bright side. I do get odd looks parking a Porsche with a handicapped placard.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:51 PM
cbzzoom is infamous around these parts
"I always try to park away from the rest of the cars...However it seems like my car is a hooptie magnet- they always find it and park 7" away!"

Yeah seriously!! This one annoys the hell out of me. I'll park way out far away from the store where no one else is, and then when I come out of the store I discover someone has parked right next to me !?

Old 03-28-2010, 02:06 PM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
So, with this statement, you get in your Porsche, drive it around the block, and then park it back in your garage

Why bother even owning one?

Just askin'
Well, I don't just drive it around the block, for starters. Second, it is fun to drive...even if I don't park and leave it somewhere, believe it or not. And third, even if I don't drive it at all, I still like owning it, looking at it, thinking about it, fooling around on this forum because of it, etc., etc., etc.

J

Old 03-28-2010, 02:20 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by MichaelL
When I bought my 997, I resolved not to obsess over the potential damage that will be caused by incompetent drivers in parking situations, road hazards, valets and the like. If you use the car, deterioration will happen. In 4.5 years, I have had to pay out around $1500 for correcting minor issues of this sort. Another $1000 was covered by his insurance for a kid that ran into me in traffic. If you are afraid of possible damage, why use the car? Buy it and park it in a garage under a cover.

Refreshing post. I really do feel that if I cannot drive the car, then what's the point? I am careful where I park to a degree, but not to the point of obsessing. I don't make my wife walk either - I'll drop her off first if finding a decent spot is going to be really inconvenient.

As for people parking next to me when I am in clear - there's a psychology to that and I'm starting to sort it out - you'll notice it more with the 911, but it will happen with any car - even a beater. In a nutshell, don't look for a "good" spot that is clear - look for a "bad" spot that is clear. What is a bad spot? Don't over think it - just go with your gut, and you'll know it when you see it. Very subtle difference, but I think it works.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
I try and park in an end spot as close in as possible. Always leave as much room for the guy on the other side as possible. Next to handy capped spot with lined space next to it is my favorite. On top of that, as someone said, no one ever uses 'em so you're open on one side and can park as close to the blue lines in the blank spot as possible. Gave up parking way out as someone always parks next to it and that goes for whatever you're driving, not just a Porsche. If I'm going somewhere like downtown, I'll drive something else. As for valet parking, will never happen. Don't intent to let someone learn the finer points of using a Porsche clutch on my nickle.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:00 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cbzzoom
"I always try to park away from the rest of the cars...However it seems like my car is a hooptie magnet- they always find it and park 7" away!"

Yeah seriously!! This one annoys the hell out of me. I'll park way out far away from the store where no one else is, and then when I come out of the store I discover someone has parked right next to me !?
I have this happen to me all the time too and it drives me crazy. In fact, I've left notes more than once! lol It's ok if they leave a spot between, but I hate when there are tons of open spots and they still come up right next to me!

Old 03-28-2010, 04:44 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
[quote=JenK;2781385]at the grocery store, I always park away and walk, but also avoid a slope because of careless people leaving carts in the parking lot and they start rolling. I also park next to cars with short doors and on the side of the minivan that has the sliding door![/quote]

I like this!!!!

Old 03-28-2010, 05:21 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
[QUOTE=yrralis1;2781977]
Originally Posted by JenK
at the grocery store, I always park away and walk, but also avoid a slope because of careless people leaving carts in the parking lot and they start rolling. I also park next to cars with short doors and on the side of the minivan that has the sliding door![/quote]

I like this!!!!
i just knew you would! Even in the hospital parking garage, designated parking, I always try to park next the Mini's and cars of docs that I know will be there long after I leave! But, in 1 month, I am moving to a new office, with great parking, but it is outdoor only. So, I guess I'll be investing in that windshield screen!

Old 03-28-2010, 05:36 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
I park my 911 in the farthest reaches of the car park and never in an area where danger is at it's peak which means large trucks, SUV's, close to unmanned carts or where all shopping carts are stored. Under the tree is also a strict no no for me in the summer. Had the worst case of tree sap (waxy glue like substance)and bird poop dropping followed by an intense baking on my minivan's hood (my luck both happened at the same time) that etched the paint deep into the clear coat. End of the line is good as long as your car is not parked in the direction of driving otherwise what if someone underestimates the clearance during the turn and hits you.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 03-28-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Volant997 is a jewel in the roughVolant997 is a jewel in the roughVolant997 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by socalsteve
So, with this statement, you get in your Porsche, drive it around the block, and then park it back in your garage

Why bother even owning one?

Just askin'

Steve
How did you get "drive it around the block" from that?? ...so it's not used to do errands and parked at grocery stores...maybe its driven to the track and back, or for Sunday drives... who cares and why should you?

Just askin'

Old 03-28-2010, 06:43 PM
SevenSisters has a spectacular aura aboutSevenSisters has a spectacular aura aboutSevenSisters has a spectacular aura about
If no end spot is available, I'll also 'cheat' and cozy up on the line in an available spot next to a handi space.

NEVER park next to a minivan - they usually have kids and all sorts of backpacks, athletic equipment, etc. flailing around.

The wife and I were out in her X3 this afternoon and she went straight for an end spot, not noticing that it was under trees. Once I pointed that out, she circled the lot twice looking for an end spot that was as far away from trees as possible.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:16 PM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
^^Thanks Volant997...that's what I thought. Anyway, you hit it...my Porsche is pretty much a Sunday cruiser. I probably would drive it to work once in awhile, and put more miles on it, if I didn't have to drive a work-related van as a DD; and that's one thing I miss about having a regular job .

J

Old 03-28-2010, 07:59 PM
C2Spin is infamous around these parts
Parking the Porsche, as my significant other would say, is quite an adventure. Yes, add 10 min when parking at the mall or other shopping location as I will seek out the safest spot. Usually, and end spot, next to a curb, or as others have stated up against a handicapped parking spot. I will also, seek out those coveted one-off spots that get tucked all by themselves due to some clever engineering

If at the grocery, I am parked far away, even beyond where the employees park. If alone, I walk, if with the Mrs, drop her off and go park and vice versa on the pick up when we're done.

Mini-vans, on slider side, and the short door cars are good choices as are BMW and MB. I steer clear of pick ups and SUVs and cars with 2-doors as the door is usually very long, and folks have a tendency to kick them open since they are so big.

So, far, so good. No dings on my old E46 M3, and none on the C2S.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Picky about parking