997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Picky about parking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 01:11 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Picky about parking

I'm a little less worried when parking my 997s than the Turbo only because the car is more narrow -but i still don't like to park it. There are favorite places or favorite spots within a location. For instance today i parked where the cars were on a slight incline (in Florida --amazing). I chose an end spot where my door was the one where I had to be more careful.

I don't like compact spaces , prefer to park near cameras , will walk far at a supermarket, refuse to park at a mall , reject 99.999999% of valet parking , prefer end spots, and will back into a space if permitted leaving the most narrow portion exposed (nose). I make a mental note of the cars and surroundings when parking .

Anyone else picky?
If so can you add to my list because if there's something I overlooked I'd open to hear it.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:54 AM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
Yea.......I am also. I will walk quite a distance to avoid parking next to anyone, just because most people dont care about others property. (you have no idea how often i see people swing that door open to max and never look, nore care to)

I do avoid parking on the downhill side of a car, should the door weight by accident swing downwards into mine. Will also take an end if necessary and on the far side of the white line to keep door distance at a maxmimum.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:03 AM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
I try to park next to handicap spot since they usually stay open. And I cheat and get right up on the line of the handi spot as far away from the car on my other side

Old 03-28-2010, 06:37 AM
p-cardriver is infamous around these parts
I try to avoid grocery store lots because that is maximum carelessness location, and I really try to stay out from under trees and parking lot lights (where birds roost and drop). I will use the valet sometimes, and I park just about anywhere else because its more fun to drive and enjoy the car than to worry about it.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:41 AM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
at the grocery store, I always park away and walk, but also avoid a slope because of careless people leaving carts in the parking lot and they start rolling. I also park next to cars with short doors and on the side of the minivan that has the sliding door!

Old 03-28-2010, 06:44 AM
Volant997 is a jewel in the roughVolant997 is a jewel in the roughVolant997 is a jewel in the rough
Knock on Wood

'05 without a single nick or door ding (knock on wood) which is a testament to how careful I am about where I park it. While I refuse to do the "take two" move and use more than one space, I will circle the lot looking for an ideal spot before parking. What is frustrating is if I park in a clear area and hoof it in invariably someone will park by me while I'm in the store. It's usually a beat up truck of some sort and I have to believe I am being given the parking equivalent of the middle finger...

Old 03-28-2010, 06:48 AM
Vladm has a spectacular aura aboutVladm has a spectacular aura aboutVladm has a spectacular aura about
I always try to park away from the rest of the cars...However it seems like my car is a hooptie magnet- they always find it and park 7" away!

Old 03-28-2010, 08:00 AM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
I always park my 911S in my garage. If I'm going somewhere and intend to park and leave the car, I drive something else...and employ most of the tactics listed. My '98 LR Discovery has no dings. I've even parked 2 wheels up on an island to get as far away from the other cars as I can .

J

Old 03-28-2010, 08:27 AM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Originally Posted by xXxGhotimanxXx
I always park my 911S in my garage. If I'm going somewhere and intend to park and leave the car, I drive something else...and employ most of the tactics listed. My '98 LR Discovery has no dings. I've even parked 2 wheels up on an island to get as far away from the other cars as I can .

J
So, with this statement, you get in your Porsche, drive it around the block, and then park it back in your garage

Why bother even owning one?

Just askin'

Steve

Old 03-28-2010, 08:59 AM
ls03od is infamous around these parts
I'll always park at the end of the lot wherever I go, and I don't mind taking up two spots, on an angle, backwards. Just a tip for valeting, if you tip generously on the front end and ask the valet to take of her, they usually keep the car right up front.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:04 AM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Always park "way out" and find an 'end of the line' where I can get one side close to the curb thereby exposing only one side. Especially here in Florida with all the damn old people (unfortunately including me).

Old 03-28-2010, 09:36 AM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
I am very picky also and another place not mentioned that I avoid are movie theater parking lots. (Kids and doors)

Old 03-28-2010, 09:36 AM
bosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to behold
I carry a red velvet rope like they do in the theaters and rope off the entire circumference around my car....it does the trick at places like Walmart.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:11 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bosco42
I carry a red velvet rope like they do in the theaters and rope off the entire circumference around my car....it does the trick at places like Walmart.
I would like to see a picture of that. With Wallmart store in the background.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:14 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I'm a little less worried when parking my 997s than the Turbo only because the car is more narrow -but i still don't like to park it. There are favorite places or favorite spots within a location. For instance today i parked where the cars were on a slight incline (in Florida --amazing). I chose an end spot where my door was the one where I had to be more careful.

I don't like compact spaces , prefer to park near cameras , will walk far at a supermarket, refuse to park at a mall , reject 99.999999% of valet parking , prefer end spots, and will back into a space if permitted leaving the most narrow portion exposed (nose). I make a mental note of the cars and surroundings when parking .

Anyone else picky?
If so can you add to my list because if there's something I overlooked I'd open to hear it.
It is plain silly to park in the spots where you know moms with soccerkids will park too as they will smash their doors at your car without even noticing.

But on every parking usually there are plenty of free spots. And I do not mind to walk for 2-3 minutes longer. At mall we have nice underground parking and I know where I can find empty spots as well. Usually other nice cars are there as well, under neiman-markus or nordstrom. People are usually pretty careful when their park next to my car - I saw it myself and leave a lot of free space next to my car, so I am much less afraid of dings now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Picky about parking