997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Transmission Stuck in 3rd 997.1 6MT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:12 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
Thanks! Would be interested in what you go with.
I am looking at Easy Care, I am not sure if this is available on your side of the 49th. I spoke to the dealer and an independent about the coverage and both say they are great to deal with. The key is getting an inspection by the dealer and making sure that PCNA fixes anything that needs to be dealt with before the factory warranty expires.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:23 AM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan
I am looking at Easy Care, I am not sure if this is available on your side of the 49th. I spoke to the dealer and an independent about the coverage and both say they are great to deal with. The key is getting an inspection by the dealer and making sure that PCNA fixes anything that needs to be dealt with before the factory warranty expires.
Yes, they are available here as well. I had spoke with a rep. from Easy Care recently, but have heard conflicting opinions on whether to get an extended non-CPO warranty. I plan on having an inspection done at the dealer before my warranty expires which is in June.

Sorry to change the subject on the thread Ed. Hope the issue with your car is resolved soon!

Old 03-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
I had a problem Thursday, shifting into 2nd and 4th felt odd. I took it to local dealer on Friday, the mechanic said it felt OK to him, I took it to The independent shop I deal with and they agreed it wasn't right. On a morning PCA drive leaving we were leaving they turn around meeting point and I shifted from 2nd to 3rd it felt really weird, tried to shift into 4th and nothing.

The shifter moves between 3 and 4 without the transmission changing, it does this with or without the clutch in. The car can do 150km/h or 90mph in third, and I was able to make it home without stopping (mostly highway, and got lucky on the 4 traffic lights between my home and the highway. I called called the dealer and they don't accept cars dropped off on weekends, and I have to leave it in front of my house till Monday. I would trailer it myself, but I won't be able to get it on and off the trailer, so I will let Porsche road side assistance take it to the dealer. The good news is my warranty expires in about 1 month! The bad news is, I can't claim I never needed to make a warranty claim on this car.

Has anyone else come across this problem? Or know what has gone wrong? It is not the shift linkage, it seems fine.

Definitely a broken shifter cable. They're notorious for breaking right at the back of the cable near the gearbox - this is far more common than a breakage of the plastic shifter mechanism under the gearlever. From what my indie tells me, it appears to be yet another design fault (the cables are too narrow/weak for the job). I'm on my 3rd set of cables already.....!

Thankfully, replacement cables aren't too expensive and the job to replace them isn't too serious either.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:41 AM
Screamin911 has a spectacular aura aboutScreamin911 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Ian_UK1
Definitely a broken shifter cable. They're notorious for breaking right at the back of the cable near the gearbox - this is far more common than a breakage of the plastic shifter mechanism under the gearlever. From what my indie tells me, it appears to be yet another design fault (the cables are too narrow/weak for the job). I'm on my 3rd set of cables already.....!

Thankfully, replacement cables aren't too expensive and the job to replace them isn't too serious either.
hah yeaa, I broke the plastic bushings on my C2, so I upgraded to a B&M. Is hard shifting the cause of the cables breaking?

Old 03-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Screamin911
.....Is hard shifting the cause of the cables breaking?
Hmmmm.... more like trying to ram the bloody thing into first (out of sheer frustration) when it's cold!

Old 03-29-2010, 11:27 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !

Car is in an enclosed container and on it's way to the dealer, hopefully they can get on it quickly and I can get back into my car. I will report back with answers.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
Yes, they are available here as well. I had spoke with a rep. from Easy Care recently, but have heard conflicting opinions on whether to get an extended non-CPO warranty. I plan on having an inspection done at the dealer before my warranty expires which is in June.

Sorry to change the subject on the thread Ed. Hope the issue with your car is resolved soon!
I have had two third party warranties on other vehicles, and they have been great to deal with. The trick is finding out exactly what is and what isn't covered. I have even found that they are easier to get it through, as the dealer also wants to get the work covered so it can make the sale.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Definitely a broken shifter cable.
That's what I told Ed during breakfast that am.

Yes, get EasyCare for peace of mind. Good thing about EasyCare is that Porsche dealer is endorsing it, so no headache with dealing with claims yourself.

Last edited by Targa Tim; 03-29-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Screamin911 has a spectacular aura aboutScreamin911 has a spectacular aura about
Hmmmm.... more like trying to ram the bloody thing into first (out of sheer frustration) when it's cold!

Old 03-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Got a call from the dealer, and it was in fact the shifter cable. Rep Points for those that had figured out what the problem was.

BTW, my car also passed the easy car warranty inspection, they need to fix a slightly leaky transmission seal and noisey throw out bearing under warranty.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:30 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Got a call from the dealer, and it was in fact the shifter cable. Rep Points for those that had figured out what the problem was.

BTW, my car also passed the easy car warranty inspection, they need to fix a slightly leaky transmission seal and noisey throw out bearing under warranty.
Great news Ed. Glad to hear it.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:15 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
I got stuck in first today...

I was going to get the car serviced next week, so I will get everything done at the same time. I have almost 14,000 miles on the clock and since I track the car I think I should get the fluids replaced more often than suggested. The car will be ready for next weeks track event!

Hopefully warranty will cover the cost of the shifter...

Old 05-16-2010, 08:35 AM
The factory warranty covered my repair, you should have no problems.