997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Steering Wheel Help please.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:51 PM
montreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to behold
Steering Wheel Help please.

Hi Guys,

I have the regular Steering wheel in my 2005 carrera. I find it way too thin. Any of you have done anything to it that you would advise me to do to make it have a bigger grip?

Thanks

Old 03-29-2010, 10:57 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Yes --This (Techart Sport non logo leather) ---> Site sponsor found here -->

Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2010, 11:00 PM
montreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the quick reply, but I have the other steering wheel model with the triangular airbag.

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Yes --This (Techart Sport non logo leather) ---> Site sponsor found here -->

Old 03-29-2010, 11:12 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by montreal911
Thanks for the quick reply, but I have the other steering wheel model with the triangular airbag.
Techart makes a multi function wheel too. I found this on the Turbo forum . The wheel is the carbon steering wheel.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:10 AM
DW997s is a jewel in the roughDW997s is a jewel in the roughDW997s is a jewel in the rough
Damn...that looks nice.

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Techart makes a multi function wheel too. I found this on the Turbo forum . The wheel is the carbon steering wheel.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:58 AM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
Here are some solutions from the BMW and Audi forums. Should work for Porsche as well....

Attached Images   
Old 03-30-2010, 10:07 AM
ls03od is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by xXxGhotimanxXx
Here are some solutions from the BMW and Audi forums. Should work for Porsche as well....
I upgraded to one of those for each of my cars

Old 03-30-2010, 10:20 AM
jastx is infamous around these parts
Check out Dallas Custom Steering wheel. I have the Multifunction Wheel in my car. It has upgraded leather but is still thin like your standard wheel. I'm having them thicken it. Very reasonable pricing - depending on the options you select, we're talking a few hundred, not thousands.

http://dallassteeringwheel.com/sw1.htm -- Pics of MANY wheels they have done here.

Mine will look similar to the 996 wheel below when done although without the bumps at 10 and 2 since they aren't part of the wheel "skeleton". My leather is on order now. Will post pics when done.

BTW, you can also do a Wheelskins steering wheel cover for about $35. A great source for these is DC Care Care. Don, the proprietor is a Porsche owner, a great guy and very helpful. Also best prices. You can custom order the size or use a standard size. It makes a significant differenct in feel. I felt the 997 needed the real thing, not a cover, but I did use a Wheelskin on my ex-993. It worked well and felt great. A pic of that is also below. DC Car Care: http://dccarcare.com/

Attached Images    

Last edited by jastx; 03-30-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:58 PM
anthony is just really niceanthony is just really niceanthony is just really niceanthony is just really niceanthony is just really nice
+1 on the TechArt wheel. I felt the same as you with my stock wheel, montreal911 (I have the same year 997 as you w/ the triangular airbag wheel), and if you want thick, TechArt is the only one I can recommend that I know you would be 100% satisfied with. Here is a side shot of mine so you can see the serious thickness it has, especially at the 3 and 9 o'clock postions.

Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2010, 04:52 PM
RS4-Brian is infamous around these partsRS4-Brian is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by anthony
+1 on the TechArt wheel. I felt the same as you with my stock wheel, montreal911 (I have the same year 997 as you w/ the triangular airbag wheel), and if you want thick, TechArt is the only one I can recommend that I know you would be 100% satisfied with. Here is a side shot of mine so you can see the serious thickness it has, especially at the 3 and 9 o'clock postions.
Wow...love your whole interior!

Old 03-30-2010, 05:02 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Another vote for Techart. I have a multifunction wheel as well. Will switch out the buttons from my OEM wheel and install them on this one. The thickness of the stock wheel is just plain pathetic. Even the thicker factory wheel option is a sad excuse for a wheel on a car such as ours.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:12 PM
leneuromancer has a spectacular aura aboutleneuromancer has a spectacular aura about
Recently installed an Alcantara GT3RS wheel and also find it too thin ...will be dropping off my old wheel at the aforementioned dallassteeringwheel.com to have it wrapped in Alcantara, with the 'thick option, a red center stripe and red stitching ...to match those red belts (and calipers)

Once you compare prices with the (albeit beautiful) Techart... (I know ...you get what you pay for)

(pic stolen from dallassteeringwheel.com)

Attached Images  

Last edited by leneuromancer; 03-30-2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: embed link
Old 03-30-2010, 06:34 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
No pics, but had my wheel done by Dallas too. I did have them redo it, but the work was great and it is great in Alcantara. Don did it exactly to my specs, which was build it up to 4 3/8", the same thickness as a BMW M wheel. I really didn't like the built up 9 and 3 positions of some wheels - I like to keep my hands at 9 and 3 even when I am turning, so I found it too weird to have a wheel that wasn't uniform. I really love it now. I picked up a cheap wheel on Ebay to have recovered. Otherwise, they will strip the leather off your perfectly good wheel and you would need to have it redone back to factory. It is an awesome setup and really a fraction of the $2000 you need to spend for the TechArt wheel, which I just found a bit insane. Oh, and that is PLUS the core exchange...

Old 03-30-2010, 06:43 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I replaced the thin stock wheel with the GT3 RS wheel as well. I really like it - though I think I'd like it even more if it were thicker.
I suspect that if I had to do it all over again, I'd send my wheel to that place in Dallas and get it done exactly to my specs - Alcantara, yellow (or red) centering stripe, as thick as the TechArt wheel.

Originally Posted by leneuromancer
Recently installed an Alcantara GT3RS wheel and also find it too thin ...will be dropping off my old wheel at the aforementioned dallassteeringwheel.com to have it wrapped in Alcantara, with the 'thick option, a red center stripe and red stitching ...to match those red belts (and calipers)

Once you compare prices with the (albeit beautiful) Techart... (I know ...you get what you pay for)

(pic stolen from dallassteeringwheel.com)

Old 04-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Thanks you guys !!! Awesome help!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Help please.