997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 hidden front plate pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 09:02 AM
997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light
997 hidden front plate pics

I posted this in another thread, a few people have asked me to post pics and info on this so I am creating this new thread.

-----------------------
In Maryland we can get $50 tickets for no front plate. After receiving one and having a few cars without front plates I decided to go the hidden plate route.

The plate mounts to a frame that can retract under the front of the car, so far I've not been pulled over so I can't say that I still won't get a ticket. If I do get pulled over, I'll ask to get out and flip the plate up and see if they let me go.

Here is a link to the entire install for my Shelby - Hidden front plate for Shelby GT500

Install on the 997 was very straight forward, I was able get my hands up underneath the front fascia so I could put a nut on the bolts that came up through the frame and through the hole I drilled in the plastic. Took 30 minutes I think and that was with trying to figure out where the best placement was. Here are some pics of the after install look on my 997 and yes, the car is filthy, I need to get busy and detail it for sure.

Retracted position

Offset and at same angle as leading edge

Retracted straight on view

Backside of plate frame with cushions - It will lean in some and rests on the vertical edge of the front fascia. I didn't want it in the middle of the car as it would block more air when it was up.

You can see the angle follows the leading edge here

Upright position, slight angle but it is secure to the bottom of the car. Small spacer on inside edge would make it level. If the plate was up often I'd take the time to do this too.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:02 AM
Idrvslo is infamous around these parts
I had an automatic one on my car. Unfortunately my car was too low and it lasted about 2 days! Lol.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:31 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
nice idea but that would last a few days on my car too!

Old 03-31-2010, 03:41 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Looks very interesting. I am also in a front plate state and I am worried about the fuzz getting on my case... I have a 545 that I got pulled over twice for not having a front plate - so I caved and got the stupid thing mounted. I REALLY don't want to mount the bracket on my 911!

Have you had any "scrapage" with the plate in the down position? I still have a stock front on my 09 C4.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:28 PM
Axeman has a spectacular aura aboutAxeman has a spectacular aura aboutAxeman has a spectacular aura about
I'm also in a front plate state (Cali) and hate those things. What happens if you get pulled over with the plate down, won't they give you the ticket anyway?

Old 03-31-2010, 07:01 PM
NYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of light
Got a few tickets before I bought this:
http://www.moweraxle.com/licenseplat...whookkits.html

I have had someone back up at a light and hit my front bumber...not a scratch on my car, it's built very well.....it is the best one out there and you can unscrew it in 15 sec.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:13 PM
997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light
I've not scraped anything yet in this car. In the Shelby I scraped a little bit on a very steep driveway a few weeks back but I was unable to approach at an angle so the splitter probably would have hit anyway.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Axeman
I'm also in a front plate state (Cali) and hate those things. What happens if you get pulled over with the plate down, won't they give you the ticket anyway?
Don't know what will happen as I've not been pulled over since its been installed. I'm hopeful that since I actually have a front plate that I'll get out of the ticket with just a warning or him/her telling me to keep it visible.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:34 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I saw the coolest thing this weekend at a C&C gathering. A fellow brought a repro of a 50's Jag (the open ****pit one with the vertical stabilizer behind the drivers head - shame on me for not recalling the model). The rear of the car is completely curved - a la boat tail - making a plate very out of place.
So, he brought his plate to Kinko's, where it was scanned and printed full size on to a flexible piece of vinyl (like a car wrap). With some adhesive, he applied the 'wrap' with a photo of the plate on to the very curved rear of the car. It was outstanding. I plan to do that for a front plate install. Right on the hood. I doubt it is strictly legal, but I doubt that most peace officers would make an issue about it.
Pictures next week if you'd like.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by Verde
I saw the coolest thing this weekend at a C&C gathering. A fellow brought a repro of a 50's Jag (the open ****pit one with the vertical stabilizer behind the drivers head - shame on me for not recalling the model). The rear of the car is completely curved - a la boat tail - making a plate very out of place.
So, he brought his plate to Kinko's, where it was scanned and printed full size on to a flexible piece of vinyl (like a car wrap). With some adhesive, he applied the 'wrap' with a photo of the plate on to the very curved rear of the car. It was outstanding. I plan to do that for a front plate install. Right on the hood. I doubt it is strictly legal, but I doubt that most peace officers would make an issue about it.
That is a cool idea - saw the same thing on a Ferrari a few years ago. The plate size shrunk to accomidate the smaller surface area of the front where it would be mounted. My bet is a state trooper would write a ticket for that but a county one might let you pass.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:46 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
A bunch of guys have done that locally, officially it is still illegal.

I got pulled over twice in 15 minute, and I just added it the next day. Too much of a PIA to not have one.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
With some adhesive, he applied the 'wrap' with a photo of the plate on to the very curved rear of the car. It was outstanding. I plan to do that for a front plate install. Right on the hood. I doubt it is strictly legal, but I doubt that most peace officers would make an issue about it.
The only problem with that is the sticker's background is probably not reflective, which would be a problem when driving in the dark, and likely still get you a ticket.

When the plate style changes, how easy is it to get the old decal removed, and a new one put on in exactly the same place (because the paint behind the decal will not have weathered the same way as the exposed paint and so the old paint will be less faded)

Having a fold-down one will not likely help you, since you did not have it displayed at the time the officer decided to pull you over. If anything, it may make things worse for you because it shows forethought and planning on not having the front plate shown, so there is zero chance of getting off with a warning at that point, I'd think.

The tow hook plate mounts just look like ****, being offset and down lower... much worse than the plate mounted on a proper factory mounting bracket properly centered.

Last edited by Minok; 04-02-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:23 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
just order mine, thanks a bunch, i Love this website....plus 1.....