997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997S converted to GT3RS Clone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 09:21 AM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
The issue is my car is not your average 997S.

My car can out handle a stock GT3 on the track (I pass 996 GT3's, and 997 GT3's on the track).

My car lacks straight away speed, but that can be remidied by gutting the car as Gomez did and doing a few mods.

The problems with the GT3 is the maintenance and replacement costs.

Once these are both off warranty, this is what you look at:

997S Crate Motor: $8K
997 GT3 Crate Motor: $40k

Rebuild 997S Transmission: $3-$5k
Rebuild 997 GT3 Transmission: $10-20k

So is it worth to get into a GT3 from my car, just to have a more expensive car to rebuild if something goes wrong?

This is my conundrum.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:40 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Do you have a LWFW or a LSD yet? If not those will help your car to be quicker on the straights by getting up to the higher rev's sooner. I faced the same considerations that you have, and I stayed with my C2S. Your C2S has more mods, and a better suspension then I have. Remember you are not racing, you are at driver training. If you want a faster track car, go buy a fully modded Race Car.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:54 AM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
If I keep it, I will take it to the next level:

1. OS Giken LSD
2. Aasco LWFW
3. GT3 or Stop Tech Brake Upgrade

Old 04-01-2010, 10:10 AM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Keep your car Mo, I like the way it sounds when you took off next to me after the SD meet.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:37 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mobonic
If I keep it, I will take it to the next level:

1. OS Giken LSD
2. Aasco LWFW
3. GT3 or Stop Tech Brake Upgrade
Are you having problems stopping? Bigger brakes will reduce your cooling capacity, not necessarily your stopping distance. Braking uses grip and friction, the grip to the road (your tires) and friction your pad to rotor. I run Pagid Yellow' and stock rotors (although will upgrade to slotted two piece Giro's eventually) and I come in and hammer on the brakes, to the point my Calipers have turned dark red from heat. I haven't had any brake fad or loss as I change my fluid regularly.

Larger brakes will also increase unsprung weight, which will slow you down a bit.

Are your running R6's yet? If not buy a set and try them out. I won't run anything else on dry days, as these are way too much fun.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Venom is infamous around these parts
Amazing looking car...good luck with the sale if you go through with it. That is a tough call.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:42 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
i would tell u to sell it !... to me.. if i was in the market.

but since i already have a Pcar, i would advise u to keep it.. unless u have NO choice but to sell it.

too bad u can't sell the parts individually so u can recover as much $ as possible..

BOL

Old 04-01-2010, 11:46 AM
gomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant future
Does the car come with center caps

Old 04-01-2010, 12:21 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gomez
Does the car come with center caps

ROFL.....

I c you caught the post

Mo,
I got some extra center caps I could mail to New Mexico! LOL

Old 04-01-2010, 01:07 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
The thing is even if you get a GT3 you will still mod it and spend more money. You will loose a lot of unnecessary money on the car as you have already put in a lot. If your car was stock and you were planning to buy a stock GT3 and mod then I would have said go for it, but not like this...

I would put LSD, LWFW and brakes on the car as you said and gut it

Old 04-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by sin911
The thing is even if you get a GT3 you will still mod it and spend more money. You will loose a lot of unnecessary money on the car as you have already put in a lot. If your car was stock and you were planning to buy a stock GT3 and mod then I would have said go for it, but not like this...

I would put LSD, LWFW and brakes on the car as you said and gut it
+1 Sin!

I would also look at some light weight 18" wheels, the reduced unsprung weight will help out a little more.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:24 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan
+1 Sin!

I would also look at some light weight 18" wheels, the reduced unsprung weight will help out a little more.
Ed, I think Mo already has 18" wheels on his car (not a 100% sure though )

Old 04-01-2010, 09:22 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Mobonic, problem solved...so straightaway speed is what you are lacking? No problem!

Corner speed = Straightaway speed.

So there ya go, you just need to go faster, use less brake....hey, that will solve that other issue you posted about on the other forum!

Old 04-02-2010, 01:11 AM
brendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond repute
all i know, is that if you sell that beast, those mufflers i sent you better become the official set of "loaner-sound-compliance-mufflers-for-laguna-seca-visitors"

pay it forward brutha

Old 04-02-2010, 01:29 AM
20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future
nice looking set up...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997S converted to GT3RS Clone