997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The base 997.2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 06:55 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
As I was searching for an '09 C2S, I found many non S versions along the way (though I was not interested in them). I did notice that the non-S version were discounted similarly to the S versions. On the used market, the non-S versions were discounted at a higher rate than the S versions.

My only guess is that the Porsche marketing machine discovered enough people did not want to buy the 997 at the S price point, but the non-S pricepoint got them into the car. Without that non-S version, it's possible enough people did not want to substitute the 997 for the Cayman or the Boxter -- and so went to another brand.

As long as Porsche's marketing machine crunches the data and the data show sufficient profit for the non-S version, it shall stay for some time.

With VW's 100% ownership position now, we may see even further segmentation of the Porsche brand buyer's market and even more brand variant -- including the "3-series equivalent". When/if that time comes, I'll be sure to reconsider my Porsche enthusiasm.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:56 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
A 3 series contender?
That's just wishful thinking but porsche has competed with the Z4 with the Boxter . the M coupe with the Cayman, The X5 with the Cayenne , and the 7 series with the Panamera . Porsche has succesfully captured BMW market share with these cars -- all of which Porsche has been sucessful The 3 series is not only BMW's bread and butter car .. it is the small sedan ICON . If Porsche can build a contender it woild be a giant step .

Old 04-01-2010, 06:59 AM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
the sub $40k car is coming - car and drive this month
soon everyone will be driving porsches

Old 04-01-2010, 07:03 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
My only guess is that the Porsche marketing machine discovered enough people did not want to buy the 997 at the S price point, but the non-S pricepoint got them into the car.
Fully agree!!!!! In fact this was a great idea for 2005.
I just don't see it for 2010 in the same light.
The economy has changed. The price has changed (with PDK and various technology options) . The competition has changed.
The used (CPO) market has changed. sales have changed. Discounts have changed.

It's 5 years later than 2005 -why not re-examine the position ?

Old 04-01-2010, 07:34 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Fully agree!!!!! In fact this was a great idea for 2005.
I just don't see it for 2010 in the same light.
The economy has changed. The price has changed (with PDK and various technology options) . The competition has changed.
The used (CPO) market has changed. sales have changed. Discounts have changed.

It's 5 years later than 2005 -why not re-examine the position ?
I'm quite sure they are re-examining the position. I wouldn't be suprised on any end of the extreme:
* going with just one version (S configuration for example)
* further segmenting the 911 into 3 configurations

I think the former is more likely, however.

I'd most like to know Porsche's mission. Are they like Microsoft -- a PC on every desk; ergo -- a Porsche in every garage? If so, I can assure you all a Porche will not be in my garage.

Although I drive a Porsche because of the great engineering and lineage, there is an element of exclusivity that I value. It's not the driving force for me, but if that exclusivity goes, so goes my Porsche.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:40 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !

When I discuss Honda --the base price works because it's all included .
But with a 997 -how many people do you know who buy a base car with no options ? When was the last time you bought one? does "base price" have a leg to stand on when making real world application price comparisons?
You must look at the MSRP to distinguish cars. Options are added on top, and besides a base Carrera and a base S are roughly equally equipped. The big diff is the engine and suspension.

You look at this from a used market perspective, where options do not count (or count little). It's true that an S loses more on the used market, but that is typical of tiered products.

I think that there's a place for a Carrera and a place for an S.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
yrralis1,

As someone who owns a 2010 997.2 base model (and in black no less ) I can tell you that you are a bit off on price. My car optioned the way I wanted it came to 84.3K on the sticker and after negotiations and a price match with another dealer I got it just under 77K and my car was factory ordered - not sitting on the lot. That's far from the 90K you mentioned earlier. If I really s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d and gave up an option or two I could have gone for the "S" but it didn't make sense to me. For one I'm not "horsepower crazed". The 345 I have feels like enough to me especially after coming out of a 133 horspower Mazda Miata. Second, I have no interest in tracking the car so the PASM and slightly bigger brakes have no value to me. The rest of the "S" equipment was pure B-S to me. I knew I wanted a black car and I actually don't like the look of the red calipers against the black paint job. I was happy with the 18" wheels because the tires are slightly less to replace than the 19" setup. I also wanted the black gauges which yes, I know can be deleted with the "S" but then why bother getting the "S" then? So in my case the base model was an excellent choice since it was 10K less and I didn't wind up paying for any unwanted features of the "S".

Old 04-01-2010, 02:07 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
The two go hand in hand and I am saying that one car would place the focus back on engineering and I think it can help marketing.

By having the two models so similar --it serves to confuse the buyer .

Maybe you've never been an engineer Believe me, they don't go hand in hand. More like Nemesis and Nemesis.

As for confusing the buyer - really? I didn't find myself confused at all - just read the specs and even the "marketing" literature and it's pretty straightforward. If people cannot read and subsequently get confused buying a 911, then so be it.

You really have to look at this as how others have explained: new car buying and tiered products. Surely you realize that part of what you are paying for with an "S" is the "S" - the cachet. It's how marketing capitalizing on engineering - how can we get a bit more money out of what we've already done? Create some cachet. And the base car is a teaser for those who may want more, and an entry point for those who don't. That's done in so many industries. I'm no marketeer, but I have to believe there is method to the madness. There's an entry level, and a path to go up - buyers like that. I bet dealers like it too.

I guess I just don't get your point. But maybe I'm just used to all these variations - coming from BMW where there are probably millions of possible configurations of a 5 series (528i, 535i, 550i, 550i Sport, M5, Touring, 5xxiX, GT - and then a zillion options for any of those) - now that can be a bit confusing - makes the 911 purchase seem simple and almost quaint.

Last edited by stevepow; 04-01-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:33 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Auto_Union
... I also wanted the black gauges which yes, I know can be deleted with the "S" but then why bother getting the "S" then ...
I have an ordered '10 S and I specified black dials. The silver/white dials don't make it an S. I prefer black dials.

I'm with you, the Carrera 3.6l is a great 911. Enjoy!

Old 04-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by adias
I have an ordered '10 S and I specified black dials. The silver/white dials don't make it an S. I prefer black dials.

I'm with you, the Carrera 3.6l is a great 911. Enjoy!
Thanks adias,

When I first started picking out options I was actually considering ordering the white dials because I thought they were more "modern" looking and I was afraid of making the interior too "blacked out" since I had selected a black interior but after learning more about Porsche I found out that the black dials are considered to be the classic dial color by many enthusiasts. As you probably know they are black as a standard on the GT2 and so I started liking the black dials much more than the white.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Removing the base car goes against one of the biggest trends in consumer product management over the past 5-10 years and continuing to take hold. It's 'mass customization'. The notion, achieved via a variety of techniques that you have the opportunity to purchase a product built 'just for you' with features and nuances that are not available in other models.
It also reflects the technique that has worked for years in the cold cereal business in which there is a natural market share cap on any given cereal, and the only way to get a higher percentage is with a new brand, and new value, a new taste. Though these are extreme variants from a consumer perspective, they are really managing the portfolio to maximize marketshare from the cereal maker perspective.
I actually think that some of the explanations here are a bit upside down. The strategically placed car is the 'S'. Were it not available, I suspect most 'S' owners would purchase a base model. The 'S' allows Porsche to extract incremental margin from those individuals who care more deeply about 'what's inside' and are happy that Porsche customized a car just for them (err, 'us').
By keeping the same design for 40+ years, Porsche has even more ability than most to practice this 'mass custom' thing, and we see it in the relatively low volume of all of the 911 variants lately, and now moving to the Boxster/Cayman class with the new Spider, as well as the 'S' models.
I think it's a wonderful thing but it requires incredible skills on the market analyst and manufacturing side to get it done. When I visited the factory and got a hands-on tour, it was remarkable how they dealt with all of the variants, interposed between other variants, one after another down the line. Each one with an owner, spec sheet, computers controlling which parts showed up and even which tools were withdrawn to ensure that inappropriate parts could not be installed in the wrong model car. Very cool.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:36 PM
type997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Auto_Union
yrralis1,

As someone who owns a 2010 997.2 base model (and in black no less ) I can tell you that you are a bit off on price. My car optioned the way I wanted it came to 84.3K on the sticker and after negotiations and a price match with another dealer I got it just under 77K and my car was factory ordered - not sitting on the lot. That's far from the 90K you mentioned earlier. If I really s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d and gave up an option or two I could have gone for the "S" but it didn't make sense to me. For one I'm not "horsepower crazed". The 345 I have feels like enough to me especially after coming out of a 133 horspower Mazda Miata. Second, I have no interest in tracking the car so the PASM and slightly bigger brakes have no value to me. The rest of the "S" equipment was pure B-S to me. I knew I wanted a black car and I actually don't like the look of the red calipers against the black paint job. I was happy with the 18" wheels because the tires are slightly less to replace than the 19" setup. I also wanted the black gauges which yes, I know can be deleted with the "S" but then why bother getting the "S" then? So in my case the base model was an excellent choice since it was 10K less and I didn't wind up paying for any unwanted features of the "S".
+1 Except I came out of a Boxster S....Fine vehicle I just didn't want a convertible any longer...Had 3 Miata's in my younger days...Cheers

Old 04-01-2010, 05:20 PM
My car optioned the way I wanted it came to 84.3K on the sticker and after negotiations and a price match with another dealer I got it just under 77K and my car was factory ordered - not sitting on the lot. That's far from the 90K you mentioned earlier.
I don't see 84.3 as being far from 90. I picked an MSRP of 90 because it's in the middle of the base car range . There are cars below it and above it.
Also you bought yoir car for 77K . I bought mine for 84K and my MSRP was 105. In short --our closing prices are so close that to me it makes no sense to offer both cars .

For one I'm not "horsepower crazed". The 345 I have feels like enough to me especially after coming out of a 133 horspower Mazda Miata.
I agree that its enough BUT with the price disparity it seems more like its ALMOST enough and if there was ONLY one engine theres no comparison to be drawn.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:21 PM
I like them too --just not on the white car. Would order them on asilver car.

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-01-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:26 PM
As for confusing the buyer - really? I didn't find myself confused at all - just read the specs and even the "marketing" literature and it's pretty straightforward. If people cannot read and subsequently get confused buying a 911, then so be it.
It may not confuse EVERY buyer . I am sure there is always goiung to be someone who knows exactly what he wants but having two cars this close in price makes a lot of people think. Here's an example --remember forum member Fastlane . He bought a base car for many of the reasons shared by those who buy a base car . Then with time it realized it was close to what he had wanted but not the full monte. In fact in his case .. it even shoved him into a 996tt and I stil think had he just had one choice he would have had the S. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rbo-board.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The base 997.2