997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The base 997.2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:32 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
most people like to buy the "S" for the bragging rights....
I didn't want to believe this but I see it .

One car. one engine --eliminates all of this two tier competition between this closely related pair --making it one car .. priced more current for todays economy and competitive market.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:51 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gray911
I just wanted to get into the bandwagon so I thought a base car would suffice. But once you got hooked you'll realize that there is something better and you will be tempted to get another higher model. So there you are, you will not buy once but will turn into a lifetime customer. I almost jumped into the Turbo S but realized that soon it will be an older model and cost of ownership will be higher.
Interesting point. It sheds light on both sides of the coin .That's why i feel pricing would be so crucial to the one engine concept. It woild have to be less than the current "S" but close enough to the base to "jump on the bandwagon" . That's why evaluating the discounts is so important.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:53 PM
ls03od is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I am not saying this. The Gt2 and Gt3 models are track cars . I still haven;t quite figured out the purpose of the Gt2 but that coild be a different thread.

I am saying that if what now is the
C2
C2s
C4s
C4
Plus all the cabs
Plus the Targa

If they all had ONE engine --it elimnates
the C2
the C4
Coupes and cabs both
That streamlines this model by four cars.

That is what they had with the 993 and 996.

Then price it according to where the market has driven it. It woild be lower than the current S but higher than the base -only slightly.
yrralis1,
You said earlier in this thread that Porsche should build just one car that's the best, well that would be the GT3 or GT2. You dismiss these as track cars, but isn't that really the definition of the 'best' Porsche, a track car that's street legal.
If Porsche streamlines the model choices, it doesn't solve the problem you're seeing. They would still produce the same amount of cars. It comes down to supply, not model choices. In this day and age, as with any product, comsumers want as many choices as possible. Why does Baskin- Robbins offer 31 flavors of ice cream? With your thinking, they would just offer vanilla and chocolate?
In the end, it comes down to Porsche providing profits to their owners and share-holders. So if that means they offer 14 models or 1, they will still build as many cars and sell them for what the market will pay to get those profits.
BTW, what do you think if that one engine were a 3.7L with 365hp?

Old 04-01-2010, 10:58 PM
You said earlier in this thread that Porsche should build just one car that's the best, well that would be the GT3 or GT2. You dismiss these as track cars, but isn't that really the definition of the 'best' Porsche, a track car that's street legal
"Best" meaning per category.
The 997 and 997S are normally aspirated street cars.
They differ from the Gt cars . They differ from the Turbo cars.
Since this is the 997 folder the other cars come up in discussion and I have said this about the Turbo . I do feel a Turbo S should have been the refreshed car --but that is a different market and a different car.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:11 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Larry: I do not see your point on this thread. You begin saying that the Carrera does not make sense and end up saying that the S is a minor upgrade. I disagree on both points. The Carrera is an excellent 911 in its own right but the S is in it's own league (at least in the 997.2 gen). Those who mostly drive freeways may think both cars are close, but that is far from the truth. You need to drive mountain roads or a track to see the difference.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:24 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
I didn't want to believe this but I see it .

One car. one engine --eliminates all of this two tier competition between this closely related pair --making it one car .. priced more current for todays economy and competitive market.
its like at my friends neighborhood, 10-12 430's.... and then a guy goes and buys a scudaria and now he trumps the rest of the 430 guys... if everyone had LP640's then the guy who gets the LP670 has the bigger ____. the company's aren't dumb... they know they can add $ and someone will buy it... same reason why they release the V8 panamera first, so the guys that must have em buy the expensive model and then once the sales start to decline, they release the v6 models for the people that love the car but dont want to spend the v8 money.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:27 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Correct . Then I say lower the price -- a little above [...]
Right now there's 14 911 cars . The Turbo S wil be next and maybe a 997.2 Gt2 ?
The consumer pays for all of this . Look at the old 911 cars .. the ones that you may have loved in childhood . They didn;t have technology gadgets and they had model selection but not like this . Not where two cars are this close at these price levels.
I get the sense that you are proposing what you would like to see, but it has no relation to what businesses can accomplish. You have it backward you see. The diversity of the product line reduces the price we pay for each model. It does not increase it. The consumer does not pay for the other models available that he chooses not to buy. On the contrary, those models pay the freight for the low price he pays on his choice.

If you dropped the alternatives, then that single best car wouldn't be priced lower than the current S. It would be several times as expensive. I won't get into the business school jargon, but up to a point, determinable by analysis, broadening the product line increases the total volume faster than it increases production costs. That reduces the cost of every item offered. I doubt that a single-model 911 could be produced at all. The company would go out of business. We owned and loved an NSX for a decade, chuckling that we paid half what it cost the factory to build, but that happened because the chairman of one of the largest car companies in the world made it a point of national pride to build that car you describe: "The very best we can." Mostly Honda wanted to show that Japan could build a better car than anything in Europe. You can afford a "loss leader" like that (to use a very old and outdated term) if you have a few hundred billion sloshing around in your R&D fund. Porsche cannot. And if they could, what would it 'lead'? By the approach you suggest, they would have no other product to take advantage of customers drawn to the showroom but finding a lesser car more acceptable. They have no high-volume, low-cost product line to absorb the cost of a one-model Porsche line as an advertising expense.

Besides all that, you keep insisting the base Carrera and the Carrera S are essentially the same car while they are not. You also insist the prices are very close, yet they are not. I sometimes say that the difference between an S and a base Carrera will never matter to the average Porsche driver, because the performance of both is so high as to be beyond their driving skill. But it is a very real difference and it certainly matters to very many people. Like ADias, I was one of them.

The difference in selling price between them is at least half the price of a high-volume consumer car even in this distorted market. That surely seems inconsequential if you're willing to pay a couple of hundred for a car, and yes, we know you can spend that much on a single option for many cars. (Come to think of it, one option for the Porsche is damn near that much itself.) Yes to all that, if -- if -- a quarter million is entertainment change. But the car market is not made up of people willing to spend 200k plus on transportation. And even those of us who can don't often see the time we can devote to our toys being worth the price differential to get "the best car Porsche can build." As I think someone already observed, by that approach, the high end sports car market would have nothing offered but McLaren F-1's and Bugatti Veyrons.

What Porsche offers us is damn well engineered cars with a range of options that let us, with our diverse taste and expectations in fine cars, find the Porsche we'll love at a price we'll accept. And all this from a low volume manufacturer. I'm not sure I see what there is to complain of in that.

Gary, who taught in a graduate school of business for his sins,
and remembers the Porsches of his young married days being
chock-a-block with "technology gadgets" though we thought
of that as spage-age engineering excellence in the sixties

Old 04-01-2010, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by adias
Larry: I do not see your point on this thread. You begin saying that the Carrera does not make sense and end up saying that the S is a minor upgrade
I never said either of thse two things.
1) I said the S no longer makes sense in this current market.
2) I never claimed it was either a major or "minor" upgrade.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:59 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
I never said either of thse two things.
1) I said the S no longer makes sense in this current market.
2) I never claimed it was either a major or "minor" upgrade.
Well, the marketplace judges sense. Nothing else. Two thirds of the sales being the S model says it makes sense. And one third being the base Carrera says that makes sense too.

Gary

Old 04-02-2010, 12:08 AM
You have it backward you see. The diversity of the product line reduces the price we pay for each model. It does not increase it.
Disagree - What is your basis to claim that creating multiple engines bears no additional cost and that it doesn't trickle onto the consumer ?

If you dropped the alternatives, then that single best car wouldn't be priced lower than the current S.
I am not saying it "would be" . I am saying it should be.
So are the consumers who are paying 10 -20 percent off on a car.

I am also not saying a single model 911 . I did NOT say discontinue the Gt3 , Gt2, Turbo . I didn't say discontinue cabs or AWD.

They did discontinue Tiptronic 997 cars so I am not seeing this (paraphrasing) "lets offer diversity" -- outcry to bring it back.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:21 AM
Larry: I do not see your point on this thread
My point is that I see a changing market . Sales are lower again this month than last year . I see piles of 997 base cars unsold and 997S cars with pricetags that make many gulp. Despite this .. the S repeatedly outsells the base.

Most have accepted a limited production to meet the demands of a changing market . I simply toss the idea of limiting production by discontinuing the base and S concept - and I also propose the idea of pricing the one engine (rather than two) adequately.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:22 AM
Disagree - What is your basis to claim that creating multiple engines bears no additional cost and that it doesn't trickle onto the consumer ?
Disagreement is always your prerogative. My basis... a lot of years of school and forty years relevant experience? If you're asking for a justification, I haven't time. And I doubt many people want an engineering seminar. We're here to talk about our cars.

"Having opinions is a private joy of us all. Arranging to exhibit them publicly and be paid requires more attention to detail."

Gary

Old 04-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Disagreement is always your prerogative. My basis... a lot of years of school and forty years relevant experience?
There is a difference between making a claim as fact vs opinion.
I am stating mine as opinion . I am using facts to formulate that opinion.

When you say "If you dropped the alternatives, then that single best car wouldn't be priced lower than the current S. It would be several times as expensive"

This is stated as fact.

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-02-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:39 AM
There is a difference between making a claim as fact vs opinion.
I am stating mine as opinion . I am using facts to formulate that opinion.

When you say "If you dropped the alternatives, then that single best car wouldn't be priced lower than the current S. It would be several times as expensive"

This is stated as fact.
It is.

Gary

Old 04-02-2010, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by simsgw
Well, the marketplace judges sense. Nothing else. Two thirds of the sales being the S model says it makes sense. And one third being the base Carrera says that makes sense too.

Gary
Yet the sales numbers are lower.

My theory -
One car priced too high.
The other not offering as much -- and also priced high.

Both were met with incentives --last year and this year.

Some offered challenging reasons --
Verdes idea makes sense -- a "built for you" mass appeal .
Gray 911 made sense - (parphrasing) -just enough to jump on the bandwagon .

Either way both are being made .
So will the Turbo and Turbo S .

I suppose there's more of a fan base to the concept of these two cars than I imagined.

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-02-2010 at 12:46 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The base 997.2