997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

how come many 911 seats are not specced with Alcantara?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:10 AM
casaforte9 is infamous around these parts

I thought alcantara would be preferred since it is more grippier than leather and comfy but I don't see many cars with it, any reason?

also, can a 2010 911 order be placed now to get it by july or is it 2011 and if so any price increase?

Thanks

Old 04-07-2010, 12:56 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
I would think because

it is a touch more expensive, very hard to keep clean, and wears a bit harder and with Porsche's being daily driveable it would look used up pretty fast.

Just my opinion.

I have a car with the entire interior done in yellow alcantara and its a real pain to keep clean

Old 04-07-2010, 01:13 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by casaforte9
I thought alcantara would be preferred since it is more grippier than leather and comfy but I don't see many cars with it, any reason?

also, can a 2010 911 order be placed now to get it by july or is it 2011 and if so any price increase?

Thanks
I would not buy one - same reasons as poster above - I prefer leather as it is more durable and very easy to clean.

PS. And when I accidentally scratch my steering wheel with my wedding band I just spit on my thumb and rub it all back into place. Good luck with alcantara on doing such a trick...

Last edited by utkinpol; 04-07-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:16 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
I don't understand the fascination with Alcantara (faux suede). I prefer real leather for it's durability and classic looks.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:20 PM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
As I understand it, the cost is quite high. Although it may not be that much higher than the high grade leather that is used in luxury cars, it is much more than the typical material.

As to what the other posts said, it seems odd that it wears faster and stains easier. It is touted as being very durable and resistant to stains (although I would think it would stain easier than leather but much harder than normal cloth materials).

I had it on my seats in my STI and there was no wear at all after the 2.5 years of DD that I gave it.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:11 PM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
I had leather Adaptive Sport Seats in my Carrera S, and now I have Alcantara Adaptive Sport Seats in my GT3 (Alcantara is standard in GT3 seats.)

I like them both....

When I bought my Carrera S, I intended to drive it everyday with comfort, and ocassionally use it on tracks. The leather seat was nice that I could micro-adjust my body in it comfortably during long drive, looked and smelled like new even years of rainy and sweaty seasons of driving. Yet for track days, it could be relatively a bit less grippy in hard cornering & braking compares to the Alcantara surface.

When I bought my GT3, I intended to sign myself up to more track days, yet to drive it on road for non-daily basis. The Alcantara seat serves its grippy purpose for spiritual driving. So far my seats are still pretty new, and I have learned a few tricks from you folks to maintain it (soft kitchen sponge, etc.) Yet I am not sure if I would like to get the seat wet in the stormy and rainy seasons.

To me, each material serves its intended purpose pretty well, like different tool for different job.

Just my experience.

With best regards,

Old 04-07-2010, 03:24 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
According to the "ultimate factories" show, alcantara is used on exotic cars like the Murcielago to save weight over leather.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:41 PM
ervjohns is infamous around these parts
I have Alcantera seat inserts ordered from the factory and I love them. It was not available building a car on the PCNA Web site but was available from the 2009 order guide.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:35 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ntlgnt1
I don't understand the fascination with Alcantara (faux suede). I prefer real leather for it's durability and classic looks.
+1 . It's hard to clean, absorbs just about anything from dirt on ones clothes to sweat. It even feels dirty. Now it's true that one can't slide in his seat and the steering wheel grip may be more secure but no peach fuzz for me .

But it's a personal taste thing . The guys who like it can't imagine the car without it plus on a hot day it is cooler so it does have some benefits . I just don't like it for me. It skeeves me out.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:56 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
And when I accidentally scratch my steering wheel with my wedding band I just spit on my thumb and rub it all back into place.
Hmmm .. a new obstacle of marriage presents itself in the least likely of places. I never considered this but reading it raised some awareness.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:51 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Full response to your thread at RennList already, but basically I had it in my GT3, didn't like it.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:14 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
I make my lady take her rings off when she drives my

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Hmmm .. a new obstacle of marriage presents itself in the least likely of places. I never considered this but reading it raised some awareness.
Cars. She thinks i'm crazy but does it to make me happy.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:26 PM
geestyleed is infamous around these parts
Alcantara is nice on places like the headliner or parts which you dont touch all the time.
On the seats I would go for normal leather - or Porsche's "I-would-like-to-be-leather" leatherette stuff....

Old 04-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I'm a well known alcantara true believer. It covers the steering wheel, shifter, center console, console lid cover, and e-brake handle in my car. I would gladly have it on the dash and the seat inserts if it wasn't so complex and costly to do that mod.
At home, my dining room chairs and living room furniture are also covered with the stuff.
I readily accept that to some it feels odd (or worse). My two sons are not fond of it on the wheel and remind me quite often. But I like like the feel, the grip, the modern/industrial look, and the way it moderates temperatures - both hot and cold. It would be great to have the grippy stuff on the seats.
It's definitely not for everyone, and it requires greater diligence to ensure it isn't marred or stained (I squirt five coats of Scotchguard on it before installation) but I'll be sure to special order it (if possible) if I ever buy 'new'. Which is not very likely.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
I have alcantara on my seats, dash, steering wheel, shifter, console cover, e-brake and headliner. I love it. Looks much more exotic than plain leather and different than other 997's. So far there are no wear issues at all, but the car is not a dd for me.

I'm surprised so many people don't like alcantara.

I wonder if those same people would have the same opinion of the Gallardo Superleggera interior?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: how come many 911 seats are not specced with Alcantara?