997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

998 pic from R&T

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 06:50 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Verde: you already have the best PAG produced - a 930 and a 997. You are set .

Old 04-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by adias
I already consider the 997.2 a classic. I see no reason why these cars should not be reliable. they should be able to do 200k miles without major issues.
Nicely said adias! I totally agree as I'm absolutely in love with the shape of my car and not all that excited at the rendering of the 998. I just worry about all the sensors and other electronics that have (at least the potential) for causing issues in our cars. Owning a 997.2 without a warrantee is akin to living without health insurance. That said, I do hope you are right about the reliability. As we know the German build quality is highly regarded around the word. If I only have minor issues during the warrantee period I may be tempted to keep her for a while longer. As time marches forward our cars will become "slow" as Porsche up the horses but they will never look dated. Heck, even the first 911's don't look dated at least to me.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:01 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Well designed sports cars only become slow on paper. There's no substantial performance difference on a technical twisty canyon road between a 30 yo 930 and a 997.

I am not too worried about electronics failures. The real maintenance cost is a tranny or engine failure. If those performed well for 50k miles and are not abused, they should last 200k miles.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
If it looks like that I'm feeling really good about my 997 right now 'cause I won't have to run down and trade it in on the new model. Looks like it has some "rice burner" influence in the photo. I suspect the new car will look less angular and have more of a Panamera look for the rear end. Guess we'll no for sure when they hit the showroom.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:55 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't seen many illustrations that end up being spot on in the end. It's likely to not look like this, so for the ones that dislike this rendition, you'll have to wait and see what comes out in the end.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:37 PM
_Nathan is infamous around these parts
If that is really what the new 911 will look like, then I'm glad I got one before they f***ed it up.

Last edited by _Nathan; 04-08-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Agreed. Only when released we'll know if the timeless design is preserved, not only in looks but dimensionally, the latter more important in my book.

Today's news pointing towards hybridization and other nonsense does not bode well.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:08 AM
It's the '80s all over again... at least with US car manufacturers.

V8s are gone, V6s are doubtful, 4-bangers will be the norm.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:25 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Although pics are usually worth thousand words..

in this case, however, the pic itself is useless but for a fun conversation.

The 998 will be better.. as in faster, easier handling... more sexy.

We are gonna be drooling all over it..

leave it to Porsche to 'evolutionize'

have they disappointed, yet ?

Old 04-09-2010, 11:39 AM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
crazy - i agree - porsche wont dissapoint
im happy with my 2010 - hope i can trade it in on 997.2 pdk turbo cab 1 day

Old 04-09-2010, 12:10 PM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
Although pics are usually worth thousand words..

in this case, however, the pic itself is useless but for a fun conversation.

The 998 will be better.. as in faster, easier handling... more sexy.

We are gonna be drooling all over it..

leave it to Porsche to 'evolutionize'

have they disappointed, yet ?
Many will say the 996 was a disappointment from the looks side. I would guess that the only reason the 997 was so overwhelmingly liked was due to the switch back to the round headlights. I for one look forward to seeing the new design and welcome the evolutionary change that Porsche brings to the table.

Last edited by gloves; 04-09-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:39 PM
SCEye has a spectacular aura aboutSCEye has a spectacular aura aboutSCEye has a spectacular aura about
I remember Clarkson said Porsche must have the laziest designers. At least this time they decided to work a little more.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by gloves
Many will say the 996 was a disappointment from the looks side. I would guess that the only reason the 997 was so overwhelmingly like was due to the switch back to the roud headlights. I for one look forward to seeing the new design and welcome the evolutionary change that Porsche brings to the table.
You took the words right out of my mouth. When I was doing my initial research on Porsche and the 911 in particular I came across plenty of sources both in literature as well as talking to actual owners and enthusiasts who did not like the 996 at least from the outside. The headlights were the "deal breaker" for many. Personally, I don't mind the look of the so-called "pancake headlights" on the 996 but I'll also admit they are a departure from the classic lines of the 911.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:11 PM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
hmmmm

all I can say is that this rendering does make the current 997.2 and the former 997.1 look old-school... also if this pic was ever accurate you can bet this is a top of the line (possible c4s etc..) based on ride height, wheel size, gap, wing etc....thats the Panarama like deployment wing (very complex design) and bet will not be a standard on a base 9XX. Juyst like its not a standard wing for the Pan...and any less model will look, well less impressive. Point is, if this drawing is in any way accurate its the best it will be....

not digging the rear lines at all.....longated rear tail lamps etc ....but never know what they will look like in the end at time of relase and in person.

Last edited by mickfluff; 04-09-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:41 PM
zanwar is infamous around these partszanwar is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by adias
It's the '80s all over again... at least with US car manufacturers.

V8s are gone, V6s are doubtful, 4-bangers will be the norm.
Don't worry, V8s aren't gone. I just bought one last month. They still have some left on the lot.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 998 pic from R&T