997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

998 pic from R&T

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 03:13 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
998 pic from R&T

FYI: 2012 911 (998)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...12-porsche-911

thoughts?

Attached Images  

Last edited by crazycarlitos; 04-07-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:25 PM
P Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of light
That's been posted before. I was looking for it the other day and couldn't find it though.

I think it looks awesome. I'd paint the retractable spoiler, but other than that I love it.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:46 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Nice !!! Anyone feeling weak contemplating the next Porsche?
Usually when the auto journalists say 2012 it turns out to be 2013 . I am guessing two years away. (2012 as a 2013 model) .

It would not make sense for Porsche to release a 180K Turbo S as well as a Gt3RS without giving a two year frame before a model redesign on the base car .

Old 04-07-2010, 05:53 PM
T33
T33 is infamous around these parts
Looks good. Would be interesting to see the front. I agree that it would probably be a 2013 model. The 997.2 just came out. The facelift on the 996 was 2002 and the 997 came on 2005.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:19 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by P Diddy
That's been posted before. I was looking for it the other day and couldn't find it though.

I think it looks awesome. I'd paint the retractable spoiler, but other than that I love it.
if its CB, i 'd leave it as is.. it looks sporty

Old 04-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
is there a planned 997.2 GT2 planned?

Old 04-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
So THAT was the reason for all that disguise on the rear of those test mules.

Other thoughts:

- I'm not really loving the elongated tail lights.

- I definitely DO like the word P-O-R-S-C-H-E spelled out on the rear. I guess the Panamera started a trend.

- I also DO like the tail pipes.

- I'm wondering exactly where they plan to use more aluminum. If it's on the door skins or front fenders for instance then I'm not happy with that because the car will "ding" too easy.

- Wish we could see the front.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:28 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Bangled 998/991?

This is a rendition, not the final product. Note though that it is a significant departure from the classic 911 shape. The rear window wing is sharply creased and the engine cover is Bangle-esque. The taillights and exhaust tips are a tip of the hat towards current japanese designs. I'm sure many will like it, but those are not the traditional 911 core fans.

In addition... this car has been confirmed to have a longer wheelbase - 100mm longer (almost 4") - longer than the Cayman's. That will imply that the 11 will further lose its go-kart dynamics.

These issues only matter to the core 911 fans. The new masses who mostly care for looks, passing trends, doodads and bragging rights will probably like it.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:07 PM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by T33
Looks good. Would be interesting to see the front. I agree that it would probably be a 2013 model. The 997.2 just came out. The facelift on the 996 was 2002 and the 997 came on 2005.
That makes it a 2012 model which we could see In the fall of 2011

Old 04-07-2010, 08:30 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Big deal. Looks like another facelift on the 997. Of course it will have more HP, but doesn't like it will be really worth the upgrade.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by adias
In addition... this car has been confirmed to have a longer wheelbase - 100mm longer (almost 4") - longer than the Cayman's. That will imply that the 11 will further lose its go-kart dynamics.
adias,

With all due respect I haven't been able to find any sources other than yourself who can confirm the longer wheelbase - however - let's assume you are correct about that. You are a very knowledgeable member of this community. If they push the wheels into the corners then wouldn't the car retain it's go-kart-like handling? This is what Mini keeps doing as their products have been getting (slightly ) larger through the years.

Also for whatever this is worth . . . you may remember I'm a former Miata owner (and still a fan ). My car was first generation (type
"NA") Miata. Mazda also decided to stretch the wheelbase a few inches on the second generation (type "NB") and the current third generation (type "NC") cars. There were also some concerns from Miata fans that this would change the handling significantly however according the reviews the handling is still superb. Full disclosure: I have never personally driven the newer generation Miatas so I cannot offer an opinion on them.

Of course I fully realize that the Miata and 911 are two completely different setups. Aside from the obvious huge power advantage of the 911 the Miata is a traditional front engine arrangement with a near 50/50 weight balance and the 911 is famous for the rear engine layout. Will increasing the wheelbase of the 911 adverserly effect it's handling due to the rear engine layout?

I'm not trying to bust your chops or be a "troll" here, I'm just wondering if the longer wheelbase is something we really need to be concerned about. Perhaps Porsche has some tricks up it's sleeve to actually improve the handling. I think many of us agree that the 911 is a near-perfect sports car otherwise we probably wouldn't have bought them, right? I just can't picture Porsche doing anything to adversely change the car's handling.

Last edited by Auto_Union; 04-07-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:20 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
The rear window wing is sharply creased and the engine cover is Bangle-esque.
The close up image does show the Bangle hint but Porsche usually get this right in real time and even when they don't (like with the Pamamera rear) it tends to grow on me once i drive the car.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:34 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Auto_Union
adias,

With all due respect I haven't been able to find any sources other than yourself who can confirm the longer wheelbase - however - let's assume you are correct about that. You are a very knowledgeable member of this community. If they push the wheels into the corners then wouldn't the car retain it's go-kart-like handling? This is what Mini keeps doing as their products have been getting (slightly ) larger through the years.

Also for whatever this is worth . . . you may remember I'm a former Miata owner (and still a fan ). My car was first generation (type
"NA") Miata. Mazda also decided to stretch the wheelbase a few inches on the second generation (type "NB") and the current third generation (type "NC") cars. There were also some concerns from Miata fans that this would change the handling significantly however according the reviews the handling is still superb. Full disclosure: I have never personally driven the newer generation Miatas so I cannot offer an opinion on them.

Of course I fully realize that the Miata and 911 are two completely different setups. Aside from the obvious huge power advantage of the 911 the Miata is a traditional front engine arrangement with a near 50/50 weight balance and the 911 is famous for the rear engine layout. Will increasing the wheelbase of the 911 adverserly effect it's handling due to the rear engine layout?

I'm not trying to bust your chops or be a "troll" here, I'm just wondering if the longer wheelbase is something we really need to be concerned about. Perhaps Porsche has some tricks up it's sleeve to actually improve the handling. I think many of us agree that the 911 is a near-perfect sports car otherwise we probably wouldn't have bought them, right? I just can't picture Porsche doing anything to adversely change the car's handling.
Auto_Union: I appreciate your views and allow me to reply.

Increasing the wheelbase will make the car more stable and some may like it, but it will kill the go-kart dynamics. Go-karts are fun because they rotate quickly around a center with a short rotational radius. Think about it - long wheelbase sedans are very stable on a straight-line but rotate slowly.

The extra wheelbase has been confirmed by Weissach. I read the interview (Dürheimer) at some point but lost the reference. Here are some comments by Mossle. Why they did that I do not know. Marketing will claim larger backseat space. The motorsports group may use it to flip the engine tranny and create a mid-engine racer, or... a longer wheelbase will give PAG more lenient EPA regs (which are kinder for larger wheelbases).

A 911 is all about all-in-the-rear dynamics. Driven well, nothing beats it going through a fast slalom on a twisty road. The car dances harmonically and its rear-biased mass motion is special. Today's car does that well, but let me tell you... the original '64 car did it even better, but of course it was more difficult to drive and it separated the men from the boys.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:17 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
From THAT pic I really like the way it looks....
I especially like the Ridge detail at the top of the bumper and the love those tailights!
Only thing I am unsure of IS that little rear wing......not big on that!

Maybe is time for me to start putting some pennies away.....LOL!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 04-08-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:44 AM
adias,

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I definitely do understand where you are coming from. I also totally agree that a larger wheelbase is more stable but less agile.

I know I'm really reaching here but do you think that the longer wheelbase might give Porsche the opportunity to add two more cylinders? I realize that won't happen at the launch of the 998 but do you think they may consider it a couple of years into production?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 998 pic from R&T