997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Clear Bra Care

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:35 AM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Clear Bra Care

I have had my clear bra for one week. I have asked a number of people (including installer) how they care for their clear bra and it seems about 50/50 whether they do something special or not. Please let me know what you do to take care of your clear bra (cleaning or sealing) and how long you have taken care of it this way. I don't want to buy $85 worth of cleaning products (PF1) if it's unnecessary.

Last edited by michaeldantep; 04-08-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:17 PM
big_willy is infamous around these parts
I use a product called plexus - this was advised to me by my installer.

Do not wax, or polish. If you get any marks or scratches you can use mcguires Plastex to gently buff the mark out.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:17 PM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
Everyone has their own methods, i'm just gonna give you mine. I wash it normally with the rest of the car, spray plexus on it and wipe/buff it off with a microfiber. 3 years later, still almost as shiny as it was when I got it. I used to wax the clear bra on my other car, and after 3 years of that, the clear bra was noticeably discolored and duller looking so I never apply wax over the plastic clear bra anymore. If there is a scratch on the clear bra, I use Meguiar's PlastX or Meguiar's Clear Plastic Polish.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:29 PM
EJ-997 is infamous around these parts
I use ps21 on the entire car including the film.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:44 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
I have no experience with Plexus but it does cause yellowing of the film as experienced by some of the members here. As long as you wash your car regularly with mild soap (even if you do not think it is that dirty) so that dirt does not clog the pores and fade the film, you will be fine. A sealant (or non carnuaba based wax) every 3 months should not pinch you wallet that much Michael. Also have some plush quality microfiber and a good quality spray and wipe (I use the Premier film's product called PF 1 film cleanse) instant detailer in your frunk to use for spot treating bad areas (of dirt/bugs exoskeleton) before they dry out and then scratch or etch the film. The film will easily scratch or swirl so be extra careful and handle it more gentler than paint. Even if you gently rub the fine dust on the film with your finger it WILL induce a swirl, especially noticeable in a dark car.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 04-08-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:47 PM
P Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of light
I use jetseal 109 polymer sealant. Great long-lasting protection, hard shine and easy application. I was told to use wax or sealant as you would normally, but to avoid any yellow carnauba waxes.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:03 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
I have no experience with Plexus but it does cause yellowing of the film as experienced by some of the members here. As long as you wash your car regularly with mild soap (even if you do not think it is that dirty) so that dirt does not clog the pores and fade the film, you will be fine. A sealant (or non carnuaba based wax) every 3 months should not pinch you wallet that much Michael. Also have some plush quality microfiber and a good quality spray and wipe (I use the Premier film's product called PF 1 film cleanse) instant detailer in your frunk to use for spot treating bad areas (of dirt/bugs exoskeleton) before they dry out and then scratch or etch the film. The film will easily scratch or swirl so be extra careful and handle it more gentler than paint. Even if you gently rub the fine dust on the film with your finger it WILL induce a swirl, especially noticeable in a dark car.
I have hundreds of dollars of products already, so I didn't want to buy more if they weren't needed. I just wanted more information.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:06 PM
big_willy is infamous around these parts
Plexus will not cause yellowing.
When the film yellows, it isn't the actual film, but the adhesive. To say "plexus causes yellowing" is just plain wrong.

The Premier product is overpriced for what it is IMHO.

Using a high quality sealant is also good, but others have mentioned, do not used any wax containing yellow carnuba or other pigments.

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE

Last edited by big_willy; 04-08-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:14 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
You probably do not need any additional products. Looks like big ***** has no issues with plexus and may be that is one more product you can buy and use it once a month to give it a deep clean other than your regular washes.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:20 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Someone else tried to tell me that Plexus dries out a clear bra because it has alcohol in it or something. I haven't used it. Mine is coming on 9 months old and I've used Griot's Speed Shine with ultra plush towels. Still looks perfect. I have a Venture Shield bra. Who knows? Just don't hit it hard with anything and you're probably fine.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Flying Cat is infamous around these partsFlying Cat is infamous around these parts
I too just got clear bra installed in my C2S two weeks ago. I was wandering if I could use Klasse All-in-One. Do any of you use Klasse on your clear bra?

Thanks.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:53 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
303 Aerospace Protectant is the best product for plastic film.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:18 AM
Steven B is infamous around these parts
I've used Rejex on the whole car including the film for years with excellent result. Wife's A4 wagon is 5 years old and still looks good with no perceptable yellowing (3M brand clear bra).

Old 04-09-2010, 08:01 AM
doug2255 has a spectacular aura aboutdoug2255 has a spectacular aura about
I've Rejex'd mine and routinely use a detailing spray with a microfiber between washes.

This is my DD so when I get home, especially now with the excessive green pollen, I wait for her to cool down then use a California Duster the detail spray.

The bra is just over a month old, but so far so good.