997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

C2S vs C4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:24 AM
John Ferguson has a spectacular aura aboutJohn Ferguson has a spectacular aura about
C2S vs C4S

Tried a search but didn't find what I am looking for. Would appreciate the advice of experianced folks regarding the advantages / disadvantages when comparing a C2S to a C4S. Am looking at 2009 PDK models and there doesn't seem to be a big price difference. Have driven a 996 C4S and it seemed really heavy compared to my Cayman S, have never driven a 997 C4. Thanks for your advice.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I'd recommend you use the search button. There have been extensive writings on the subject in this forum. At the risk of spinning up a riot, the Clift notes are:
The C4 designs have improved with each successive generation such that the 'weight' and reduced steering feel have been dramatically mitigated over time - when compared to the C2;
That said, there is added weight and loss of feel in the C4 compared to the C2;
Most sports car aficionados prefer the C2 over the C4;
The C4 has modest advantages in severe weather driving but few 911 owners drive their car in severe weather.
The C4 also has the advantage of the wider rear fenders which most find visually compelling but not enough to offset the driving degradation of the AWD mechanism.
That's it.

Originally Posted by John Ferguson
Tried a search but didn't find what I am looking for. Would appreciate the advice of experianced folks regarding the advantages / disadvantages when comparing a C2S to a C4S. Am looking at 2009 PDK models and there doesn't seem to be a big price difference. Have driven a 996 C4S and it seemed really heavy compared to my Cayman S, have never driven a 997 C4. Thanks for your advice.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Sub4 is infamous around these parts
I was shopping for a 2S when I came across a 4S deal that was too good to pass up. It was a great decision in retrospect. One thing that has been a pleasant surprise is how good the wider fenders are in person. Its a dramatic look, and one you enjoy from both outside the car as well as every time you look in your side mirrors.

Regarding feel and performance, both the 2S and 4S are like driving caged animals down the road. You rarely can test the limits of these cars on the street, and for that reason I say go with the best deal, and/or personal preference on look.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:22 AM
hockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant future
For that matter, one can't test the limits of the C2 or C4 on the street either.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:50 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Verde
I'd recommend you use the search button. There have been extensive writings on the subject in this forum. At the risk of spinning up a riot, the Clift notes are:
The C4 designs have improved with each successive generation such that the 'weight' and reduced steering feel have been dramatically mitigated over time - when compared to the C2;
The C4 has modest advantages in severe weather driving but few 911 owners drive their car in severe weather.
The C4 also has the advantage of the wider rear fenders which most find visually compelling but not enough to offset the driving degradation of the AWD mechanism.
That's it.
I would add to that that some prefer a C4S on the track for better track times.

On the 996 gen I had a C4. It was definitely a more planted car than the 996 C2 even on dry conditions. The price to pay was a dumber front-end. I have now a C2S 997.2 which is as planted or more than my 996 C4.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:53 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Search again sir

And between searches & reading, nothing beats test drives...

Old 04-12-2010, 11:56 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Verde
That's it.
I would sum it up differently - if it snows where you live and you will need to drive uphill every day when it snows or your local road freezes - buy a C4.

If you do not drive during winter in snow/ice conditions and do not have to climb mountains - you do not really need 4wd car.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:00 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by utkinpol
I would sum it up differently - if it snows where you live and you will need to drive uphill every day when it snows or your local road freezes - buy a C4.

If you do not drive during winter in snow/ice conditions and do not have to climb mountains - you do not really need 4wd car.
I think this is a good generalization. As a 4WD is always better in snow than a 2WD.

However, I don't think one should expect to be "stuck" with a 4S just because they live in a snow climate. I drive most of my cars all year round in Pittsburgh where we do get a fair amount of snow and there are many hills. My 997, C63, M3, etc., etc., did just fine with an excellent set of winter tires and wheels.

My C63 was pushing 540 hp and I drove her though one of the worst snow seasons Pittsburgh had on record.

Again, 4WD is always better in the snow. But if one prefers RWD, snow should not be an absolute exclusion.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:09 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
I think this is a good generalization. As a 4WD is always better in snow than a 2WD.

However, I don't think one should expect to be "stuck" with a 4S just because they live in a snow climate. I drive most of my cars all year round in Pittsburgh where we do get a fair amount of snow and there are many hills. My 997, C63, M3, etc., etc., did just fine with an excellent set of winter tires and wheels.

My C63 was pushing 540 hp and I drove her though one of the worst snow seasons Pittsburgh had on record.

Again, 4WD is always better in the snow. But if one prefers RWD, snow should not be an absolute exclusion.
I still would do emphasis on 'climbing' part. Just on a mild fresh snow I drove this year on my C2 several times - it has ton of traction and handles well. But if you got to go uphill on a slippery slope - well, it is an artistry to accomplish even with huge 997 tires and C4 would help big time there as with 2 axles pulling you up you do not loose that direction of where you want to go when one of your wheels suddelnly starts slipping.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:22 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
The C2S feels lighter and more uncontrolled (for lack of a better word). You must drive both to decide which is best for you. Do not rely on just reading about them!

Old 04-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Dave's911 is infamous around these parts
I did exactly the same as Sub4 noted above. I was looking for a 911S and came across a 4S that had all the options I wanted for the right price.
I haVe no regrets. The car handles incredibly well, even in the wet. The wider back end is just a bonus in my mind.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:33 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by adias
I would add to that that some prefer a C4S on the track for better track times.
I think you meant the opposite, that track junkies like me prefer the C2S for quicker track times, crisper steering, less weight, etc. Side benefit - bigger front boot to fit the track box in

Old 04-12-2010, 05:36 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dave's911
I did exactly the same as Sub4 noted above. I was looking for a 911S and came across a 4S that had all the options I wanted for the right price.
I haVe no regrets. The car handles incredibly well, even in the wet. The wider back end is just a bonus in my mind.
+2. My same situation and after owning this car, just love the "slightly" wider back end.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:50 PM
eathvy is infamous around these parts
C4S has consistently shown better track times than a C2S. May feel a little heavier then a C2S but not by much. It is easier to drive fast, more surefooted, nicer looks, and a better performer.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:59 PM
casaforte9 is infamous around these parts
for road driving,non snow conditions the c2s has lotsa traction even in rain due to all that weight at the back as opposed to say a cayman s or a front engine car like an m3

the situation where c4s would be preferable would be snowey conditions with uphill driving every where else c2s is more agile, more fun, cheaper, lighter, crisper steering ( c4s has heavy steering even at parking lot speeds)

in winter c2s and c4s both are slippery with summer tires and both very grippy with winter rubber

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C2S vs C4S