997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Effective downshift technique

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 05:18 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Effective downshift technique

The Porsche Sports Driving School (PSDS) is now teaching a simplified downshift that uses the synchro to engage the gear, then a blip from the driver to match the engine rpm. Here is the sequence:

1 - Brake and while braking shift the gear (with clutch down).
2 - Blip throttle, release the clutch, accelerate, in a smooth fast sequence.

This effectively replaces the old 'heel-toe' technique and can easily be used in any situation street or track.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:24 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
How is that different than heel-toe?

Old 04-12-2010, 05:26 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
That's standard rev-match (not H/T) and something we've been teaching at CVR at our DEs forever. It's good, but you have to complete your braking before engating your lower gear. Next step is H/T where as you are braking you blip and release the clutch so the instant you are off the brakes you are on the gas.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:47 PM
jlipana has a spectacular aura aboutjlipana has a spectacular aura about
I often do this while driving on the street since H/T seems a bit of overkill at times. However, I've heard varying opinions regarding wear and tear on the clutch with this technique.

You guys have any opinion on this? Giving a blip while still depressing the clutch?

Old 04-12-2010, 06:23 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonehead
How is that different than heel-toe?
not applying the gas and brake at the same time..

vs when u r HTing, u r applying the brakes and blipping the gas b4 the turn.

Jlipana:

as long as u rev-match, it should not put extra wear on ur clutch.. ()

if u r concerned, u can always DCHT.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:40 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jlipana
I often do this while driving on the street since H/T seems a bit of overkill at times. However, I've heard varying opinions regarding wear and tear on the clutch with this technique.

You guys have any opinion on this? Giving a blip while still depressing the clutch?
No clutch damage if done properly. It's all about smoothness and sequence. When the clutch takes the revs are matched - no slip.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:40 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know how it would work out on the track...

I always use H/T to downshift on the track since I usually need to downshift more than 1 gear. So basically you loose the advantage of engine braking when you use this method.

I always do that method on the street though, I need to brake harder to H/T on the street and it sometimes is annoying...

Old 04-12-2010, 06:58 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
I never HT on the street - you can never hammer the brakes hard enough to get the pedals lined up as you do on the track. And there's no reason to HT on the street anyway. And there's also no reason to blip the throttle on the street either. Both are techniques for the track.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:05 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Ron, if you use the Rennline elevated accelerator pedal, it raises the accelerator platform closer to the height of the brake pedal. H&T is much easier and you don't need to mash the brake to do it.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:08 PM
I guess for me the stock pedals work fine because the only time I'm HT is threshold braking on the track. And at that level of braking pressure, the pedals are lined up nicely.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:12 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RonCT
I never HT on the street - you can never hammer the brakes hard enough to get the pedals lined up as you do on the track. And there's no reason to HT on the street anyway. And there's also no reason to blip the throttle on the street either. Both are techniques for the track.
I can understand not H/T'ing on the street. But I always blip the throttle when I either slow down or want to be in a lower gear to pass, downshift and get back on the accelerator. How do you not blip and downshift without engine braking and lurching?

Old 04-12-2010, 09:09 PM
jlipana has a spectacular aura aboutjlipana has a spectacular aura about
As always, thanks for the insight fellas.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:57 PM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
If I understand it correctly, what it described seems is a typical rev-matching downshift. While our right foot blips the throttle it is off the brake, while the right foot brakes it is off the throttle. It is okay if time/road allows for a momentarly off of the brake while downshifting.

On the other hand, a heel-toe downshift allows both braking and downshifting simultaneously, without letting go of the brake while blipping the throttle. Our heel blips the throttle while our toes are still on the brake, thus no time is traded-off between both operations.

Regards,

Old 04-13-2010, 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by axhoaxho
If I understand it correctly, what it described seems is a typical rev-matching downshift. While our right foot blips the throttle it is off the brake, while the right foot brakes it is off the throttle. It is okay if time/road allows for a momentarly off of the brake while downshifting.

On the other hand, a heel-toe downshift allows both braking and downshifting simultaneously, without letting go of the brake while blipping the throttle. Our heel blips the throttle while our toes are still on the brake, thus no time is traded-off between both operations.

Regards,
Yes, but if done quickly it may not be very different from full-blown H&T (or take much longer), and it is what PSDS is recommending.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:38 AM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
Yes, but if done quickly it may not be very different from full-blown H&T (or take much longer), and it is what PSDS is recommending.
Just curious, would PSDS recommend this simplified technique because of the level of its students? In the more advanced classes like the PSDS Master Plus, heel-toe downshifting actually is part of the practices.

http://www.porschedriving.com/Race-License-Course.aspx

With best regards,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Effective downshift technique