997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Automatic Rear Spoiler Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:07 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Question Automatic Rear Spoiler Question

Is there any way to modify the mph that the automatic rear spoiler deploys/retracts? Right now the spoiler deploys at around 75 mph and retracts around (I think) 35 mph. Would like to have it out at a lower mph. Yes, I know there's a button on the dash to do exactly that, I was just hoping there was a way to modify the factory settings. Thanks.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:15 AM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
If you read your owners manual, I believe that its just not purely speed that activates the spoiler. It also has to do with the temperature of the engine compartment. It will activate long before 75 mph if its hot enough.

Also, the reason for the spoiler activating is two fold. One for aerodynamics and secondly to cool down the engine compartment.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:21 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I haven't checked my manual, but I've never seen my spoiler deploy for heat. The engine fan will activate and stay on if it is hot.

BTW, I'm curious why the OP want it to deploy at a lower speed?

Old 04-16-2010, 11:28 AM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Originally Posted by keninirvine
I haven't checked my manual, but I've never seen my spoiler deploy for heat. The engine fan will activate and stay on if it is hot.

Just curious how you would see it deploy? Its impossible to see while in the car...Oh wait, I see you have a cab. Not sure how that works, but in my coupe, its impossible to know if when its activated.

Just askin'

Steve

Last edited by socalsteve; 04-16-2010 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Cab...
Old 04-16-2010, 11:32 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by socalsteve
Just curious how you would see it deploy? Its impossible to see while in the car...Oh wait, I see you have a cab. Not sure how that works, but in my coupe, its impossible to know if when its activated.

Just askin'

Steve
Good point. I guess I assumed that if it deployed due to heat, it would stay deployed until the heat was dissipated, even after a stop. I know this makes me sound lazy, but what page in the manual describes this?
Thanks

Old 04-16-2010, 12:31 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
I've never heard of heat deployment...is this new on 997.2?
......and unless Pcars has changed it, the fan doesn't exhaust hot air up but rather tries to push it down, (as it sits in your garage after you've gotten home ).

I'd actually like an easy way to disable it's movement......I don't particularily care for moving wings (no aero need....mainly the wife's drive).

Old 04-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by GreggT
I've never heard of heat deployment...is this new on 997.2?
......and unless Pcars has changed it, the fan doesn't exhaust hot air up but rather tries to push it down, (as it sits in your garage after you've gotten home ).

I'd actually like an easy way to disable it's movement......I don't particularily care for moving wings (no aero need....mainly the wife's drive).
I have a 997.1. Read the owners manual, I did and that is what it says.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:49 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by socalsteve

Just askin'

Steve

I can just see mine at the edge of the window - I imagine it would standout more if my car weren't black as the spoiler and the window trim are both black. I can see about 1/4in of it or less - if I sit way up in the seat and look in the rear view mirror.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Good point. I guess I assumed that if it deployed due to heat, it would stay deployed until the heat was dissipated, even after a stop. I know this makes me sound lazy, but what page in the manual describes this?
Thanks
I would have to do the same amount of work finding it as you would...

I already have read it. Now its your turn.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:25 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !

I don't have a really good rational reason...how about because it looks good when it's up?

Old 04-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by PTParks
I don't have a really good rational reason...how about because it looks good when it's up?
How would you know?

Old 04-16-2010, 04:36 PM
911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about
interesting. i actually think it doesn't look very good 'up'. Plus, to be honest with you, when i see someone with their spoiler up and parked, i kind of profile them as a dork for some reason, gives the 'poser' vibe to me anyway...

Old 04-16-2010, 04:46 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
its like 75mph if engine cold, 55mph if engine is warmed up..

also it deploys when you kickdown on tips/pdk's...

leave it be as its for cooling and downforce... not for curb appeal.. i think the car looks hideous with it up.. but functionality is always over looks

Old 04-16-2010, 04:47 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by 911nojoke
interesting. i actually think it doesn't look very good 'up'. Plus, to be honest with you, when i see someone with their spoiler up and parked, i kind of profile them as a dork for some reason, gives the 'poser' vibe to me anyway...
yeah i make fun of them and try and call them out whenever possible.. most the spoilers i see up while parked are those ugly crossfires... ive only seen a few porsche guys with it up and i said "WTH"

Old 04-16-2010, 05:02 PM
911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by wa1l1in
yeah i make fun of them and try and call them out whenever possible.. most the spoilers i see up while parked are those ugly crossfires... ive only seen a few porsche guys with it up and i said "WTH"
ha, that reminds me, ever see that show on Bravo called 'million dollar listing'? they had one realtor on there with a black 911–always driving 25 mph with the spoiler up. what a knucklehead...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Automatic Rear Spoiler Question