997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Up shifting technique?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Up shifting technique?

OK, so i've read several threads lately and have seen video clips of rev match shifting on the way down but what about proper technique for going up?

I've noticed that I get a much smoother shift by taking it up over to at least 4k
before moving up and that it helps to shift quickly before the rpm's drop lower than where they'd be for the next gear. I do pretty good with this strategy accept for fifth. I have a hard time getting into fifth and getting the clutch out before the rpms drop down too far, thus creating slippage.

Do I just need to practice shifting faster there or not worry about it or is it crazy to rev match up?

Old 04-18-2010, 10:06 AM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
Ratios shorten as you go up through the gears, which means that the number of revs that have to fall between gears lessens

So assuming you shift at 4000 rpm, for your 1-2 shift to be smooth you let the RPMs drop ~1000 revs. For your 4-5 shift to be smooth you would only need to let the revs drop ~500 revs.

This is only for the smooth/city driving of course... in any "spirited" driving situation you just shift as quickly as your hands, feet, and gearbox will let you

Old 04-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
It must be the combination of the smaller rpm difference and the longer throw pattern for 4-5 that gets me. When I shift "quickly" I seem have a pretty good timing for where it lands but that 4-5 is just too quick. I've actually started taking 4 higher (5.5 k) and going to 6 for a smoother transition.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
I would avoid forcing the synchronizers. Each shift should be a somewhat two step process.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:11 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I HIGHLY suggest you go to a DE (Track Event). You will learn about shifting and car control....or sign up for the Porsche Driving School at Barber Morotsports Park.