997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I'm completely in love with PDK BUT........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 06:34 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Originally Posted by rockstardoc
Yep, this has been beaten to death many times. Either tranny is justifiable to each respectable owner, so enjoy the car which ever tranny it may be.

One thing's for certain though, with all else being equal...the driver rowing through those gears, double clutching on downshift, heel-toe with rev matching AND following the right line WILL always get more props than the driver pressing that steering wheel button to shift the "faster" car. With that being said, as long as the driver enjoys his/her ride it doesn't matter which tranny is better.
This speaks to me. Thank you!

Old 04-18-2010, 06:38 PM
gadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to behold
With PDK you have Launch Control. When I test drove one, I said wow, I gotta have it... Anyways, I ended up with a 6MT C4S.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:12 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Ah yes, yet another PDK buyers remorse thread...
Larry started one after about a month as well, sounding the board hoping for support!
I have no doubt they are the future, but manuals will die very slowly!

Old 04-18-2010, 07:21 PM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
Remorse thread?? Can you not read???
I would choose pdk over 6 speed 29 days of the month and a 6 speed for only 1 day. No remorse. Love pdk. How did you get remorse out of the original post? Unbelievable. I am sorry I started this

Old 04-18-2010, 07:28 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
Ah yes, yet another PDK buyers remorse thread...
Larry started one after about a month as well, sounding the board hoping for support!
I have no doubt they are the future, but manuals will die very slowly!
I've never had any regrets with PDK . In fact I've had the opposite --I really like it. When I first got it I did write a few threads commenting on some of the positive aspects as well as the things I felt could be improved .

In short --both are great but neither is perfect. In fact the strengths of one reveal the weakness in the other and visa versa .

If I had to pick one .. it would be PDK yet I would sell my C2S long before considering selling the Turbo . In fact my next Porsche years down the road will mean selling both and buying a PDK Turbo but that won't be for a very long time.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:13 PM
vrnkc is infamous around these parts
Manual 6 speed

Truthfully, I like the delay in shifting between gears with a manual trans. I seldom need a fast gear change with daily driving. Hearing the RPMs go up and down sounds sweet with the flat 6.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:14 PM
997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by yrralis1
The problem is that since now both are available I would miss either if I only had one. When I didn't drive my PDK car for a week in favor of driving the Turbo I missed it. I somewhat take turns until both need to be washed so the clean car sits while the other is driven.
LOL i do the same thing with my tt and BoxsterSE

Old 04-18-2010, 10:02 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
I purposely have not driven a PDK car yet. You can't miss what you don't know. As they say, ignorance is bliss.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:12 PM
fun911 is infamous around these parts
I respect the technology advancement but after driving both, I think I'd miss the 6 speed more than the PDK! Too bad your not up here in MA, we could swap once a month! Like the cab but my wife is not a fan. Once a month swap would work perfect!

Old 04-18-2010, 10:22 PM
prg
prg is infamous around these parts
I'm in complete agreement with the original poster. I love my pdk, have already ordered one on my next Porsche, but still have an occasional moment when I'd like to do a heel toe downshift. Nothings without compromise.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:56 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 997C2SM
For what it's worth check out dealer inventory. You will see a good number of 6 speed manual vehicle cars in inventory roughly 50/50. I can recall when PDK was introduced we were told manual 911's would become a thing of the past. Looks like the dealers feel there is still a strong demand for the 3 pedals. This could be a slow phase out process not sure. I know the Ferrari 458 can only be had in dual clutch auto form.
I think Porsche has at least some respect for its customers unlike Ferrari who have imposed mandatory dual clutch. How arrogant is that being toward its customers heh. Its like give me a s...load of your money and we will give you want we want to, forget about what you might want. For me its not all just about speed its the getting there bit that really counts. These cars are so damn quick and easy to drive as it is its nice to have something to keep you occupied like a third pedal and a stick. And, choice is a wonderful thing...especially when you're the one paying. For now three pedals keeps me interested. PDK's is awsome too but for me thats for another day and im not ready for that day just yet. The day P starts imposing conditions like dual clutch trannys in everything they sell will be the day they lose me, and im sure a lot of customers. Just my 5 cents worth..

Old 04-19-2010, 08:36 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by adias
No, I do not know what you mean. The PDK is a sequential manual. I use it manual all the time. My left leg is not lazy and it does not miss the clutch.
Beautifully stated. Accelerating to enter the freeway from the entry ramp by paddleshifting on sport plus mode.....does it get any better Adias ?

Old 04-19-2010, 08:55 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
The problem is that since now both are available I would miss either if I only had one. When I didn't drive my PDK car for a week in favor of driving the Turbo I missed it. I somewhat take turns until both need to be washed so the clean car sits while the other is driven.
Larry being a personal trainer for two demanding clients ( a 997.1 TT and a 997.2) is not easy. How can you tell that they've each had their share of cardio for the week.... I suggest every 3 months you take a measurement of their girth at the level of the rear wheel arches. I bet the TT would show more flab....see, after all you love your PDK more

Old 04-19-2010, 08:55 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vrnkc
Truthfully, I like the delay in shifting between gears with a manual trans. I seldom need a fast gear change with daily driving. Hearing the RPMs go up and down sounds sweet with the flat 6.
The tpms go up and down with pdk too. You like to shift slow and feel a lag between gears? I do not understand as that is a fist for me. I always tried to go for the fastest up shifts possible.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:12 AM
P Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of light
drove a PDK 997S for the first time this weekend. definitely had a great feel to it, but I don't think I would ever prefer it over my 6speed, at least for my purposes (I only get to drive for pleasure on weekends).

having said that, I think Porsche hit a home run with the PDK. Awesome piece of technology and well executed. I found the new BMW M-DCT transmission equally impressive, though I know they have had some reliability problems (nothing serious, but most cars have had to have their software reflashed once or twice).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I'm completely in love with PDK BUT........