997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Bent Rim? Ugh!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 11:51 AM
pjjameso is infamous around these parts
Unhappy Bent Rim? Ugh!

Well it looks like I may have a bent rim. Ive attached a picture but its a bit hard to see. I can feel (and see) the edge of the rim is pushed out a bit and the tire bead is seated a bit differently. However I dont feel any vibration when at speed.

Any suggestions, can it be repaired or shoud I just buy a reconditoned replacement from someone like allfactorywheels on ebay. This is for a 19" Carrera Classic front wheel on a '08 911 4S, Rim 8 J x 19 H2.

Anyone out there with a rim they want to sell? Any ideas where to pick up one reasonably priced?

Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2010, 11:56 AM
PHDX2 is infamous around these partsPHDX2 is infamous around these parts
Might want to give Alan or Dave a call at Wheel Enhancement, one of our sponsors. Great guys!

Old 04-24-2010, 12:00 PM
P Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by PHDX2
Might want to give Alan or Dave a call at Wheel Enhancement, one of our sponsors. Great guys!
+1. Alan is the man. I've bought many wheels from him.

what tire pressure were you running? sorry to see this happened to you, but at least it's an easy fix.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:44 PM
spoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the rough
I'm in Virginia as well. In the past I've used a shop in MD called Ye Ole Wheel shop. It takes them a while to turn around fixing a rim but their work is spot on their prices are reasonable.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Been running 34 in the front 40 in the rear. Im usually the only one in the car without any luggage.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:13 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Do not by a replica wheel, make sure it is an OEM wheel.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:14 PM
REBor8 is infamous around these parts
This should be an easy fix. I've driven on the VA roads and you're lucky your wheels aren't polygons!!

Old 04-25-2010, 01:35 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
From what you describe, it sure sounds like a repair. No need for a replacement. And the tire pressure is on the norm-to-high side so that wasn't the problem.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:45 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Wheel repair ought to work unless of course this is the best excuse to buy new wheels .

Old 04-25-2010, 07:46 AM
Thank you gentlemen, sounds like all I need to do is find a repair shop. Should I stop driving till fixed or should I be okay to keep using?

Old 04-25-2010, 08:31 AM
HATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of light
Buy a new rim and tire. In order to bend that rim think how hard the tire had to compress in order bend it. You've more than likely bent the belts in the tire as well.

If you're not feeling a vibration now, you will shortly. The structural integrity of the tires' belts are compromised and will worsen with continued use.

If you want to salvage the rim at least pick up a new tire. Be sure the repair shop thoroughly inspects the rim and cleans it properly while doing so. Hairline cracks are sometimes tough to spot.

At the very least, you've got yourself a nice garden hose/wheel-reel !

Not sure where you are in VA but there is a guy in Richmond ( southside ) that I've used who's excellent. Let me know if you want contact info.

Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2010, 09:10 AM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
I think it can be fixed - I don't know if you will be satisfied with the end result though. I know of a couple of people that had theirs fixed but claimed it was never the same as far as the feel/vibration (could be mental).

Old 04-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Just had a Champion straightened w much worse lip bend than that. 150$ total cost. Just find a good shop. Dealer usually knows who does best work around. Absolutely NO NEED to replace that.....

Old 04-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Still exploring options... Is it a fairly straight forward process to remove the tire pressure sensor from one rim and install it into a new one?

Old 04-25-2010, 03:42 PM
awcayenne is a jewel in the roughawcayenne is a jewel in the roughawcayenne is a jewel in the rough
repairable for sure

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bent Rim? Ugh!