997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Durametric alternative?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 04:39 PM
solidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud of
Durametric alternative?

Anyone have suggestions for a Durametric alternative OBD II reader/reset tool?

Old 04-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Quantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by solidst8
anyone have suggestions for a durametric alternative obd ii reader/reset tool?
Piwis

Old 04-24-2010, 05:32 PM
gadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to behold
I recently bought the Durametric Basic model and use it to reset my maintenance reminder. I performed my own oil changes and inspections.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:42 PM
solidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud of
Thanks, I'm looking for an alternative to Durametric since they've taken out the coding feature in the latest version and I don't see the value in paying several hundred dollars for the Pro version just for that. The only thing left I would actually use is the reading and clearing of engine codes, which I believe that any OBD reader should do for less than a hundred bucks. Anyone using a generic OBD reader? If so, which one and where to buy?*

Old 04-25-2010, 01:29 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I'd suggest evaluating the Rev application on the iphone. Though more than $100 (with cable), it provides some interesting real-time engine monitoring functions and displays along with the ability to read and reset engine faults. There is a cable that plugs in to the OBD port which creates a WIFI (fixed IP) network in the car that can be read by the iPhone and Rev app. Thus no direct cabling to the iPhone or iPod.
I'm also using the Durametric basic and an inexpensive OBD monitor. For faults and general diagnosis, the Durametric is still the best, and the generic tool is the worst.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:30 AM
cbzzoom is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by solidst8
The only thing left I would actually use is the reading and clearing of engine codes, which I believe that any OBD reader should do for less than a hundred bucks. Anyone using a generic OBD reader? If so, which one and where to buy?*
Yeah, right on bro. I was going to get a Durametric but now I'm looking at the $50 OBD2 cables in my auto parts shop thinking there's not much of a difference. Haven't tried it yet cuz I don't have any codes to clear.

This one (OBDLink / ScanTool) gives really nice realtime reports on everything too :

http://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/p...d/obdlink.html

would love to hear if anyone with a P-car has tried any of these.

Anybody know if the service reminder can be cleared with an generic OBD tool?

Old 04-25-2010, 11:27 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
I used an OBD scan tool similar to the ones you can buy at Autozone and similar stores. I could not get it to reset my airbag warning light and returned it, then purchased the Durametric.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the great information everyone, I'll probably do a little more research before I choose which way to go. I just wish there were more options for Porsches so that Durametric would have more incentive to be competitive on features and price.