997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2 C2 with AERO KIT, question about lowering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:12 AM
PersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of light
the kit looks cool...How do you have your day time running lights on at the same time as your headlights? Love It

Old 04-29-2010, 09:19 AM
jo2e6y is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Tom@Rennsport-1
It really depends what you use the car for. If you're going to the track often, or even only 3 or 4 times per year, you will be much happier with coilovers.

If you're only driving the car on the street and your main concern is looks, not performance, then lowering springs will be an OK option. Remember, the OEM PASM shocks are made by Bilstein, so they are quite good.

Basically, here's the cost differences as well:

Springs: $350 + installation
PASM compatible coilovers: $2900 + installation
just for looks actually, i don't track my car.
If i just switch out the springs, will it hurt my car's suspension though? I was warned this will...Please advise, thanks!

Originally Posted by akim47
do a search on forums.rennlist.com , i think his name is jetpilot or something.. he recently lowered his C2 with H&R springs plus spacers to give you an idea of how low the car is (i think ur car is slightly lower stock b/c of pasm)...

don't worry about stock suspension... if u opted for c/o what would u do with the oem shocks anyways? prob end up with 4 struts in a box in a garage for a long time...

that being said, i've always been a long time proponent of c/o's... u paid xxxx much for your car, what's the extra couple grand? i'd say just do it the right way... the bilsteins seem to weapon of choice... kw v3's are good, but i dont think they have product out for the 997.2 yet (i may be wrong)...
i saw a post by a member with h&r springs and spacers here on 6speed, i like the look.
I know its just couple grands more, but i want to see if i can save some money if C/O isnt needed for my use of the car. just daily commute.

thanks

Old 04-29-2010, 09:25 AM
jj123van is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by akim47
kw v3's are good, but i dont think they have product out for the 997.2 yet (i may be wrong)...
I'm running the KW V3 on my 997.2 right now. I am pretty sure it's the same setup as the 997.1.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by Tom@Rennsport-1
I agree. If you're looking at coilovers, the Bilstein PSS-Damtronic coilover is the way to go, simply because it retains the use of the factory PASM system in the car to adjust the dampening.

KW does make a V3 coilover for the 997.2, however, it requires disabling the factory PASM system, as the adjustment to compression/rebound are made on the shocks themselves, manually.
im looking to save some money, thats why i'm asking if spring is okay without coilover...

Originally Posted by GreggT
What I recall:
For Non-PASM cars.
PSS9's - 9-way manually adjustable and height adjustable coilovers....pretty sure these were being phased out, could be wrong
PSS10's - 10-way manually adjustable and height adjustable coilovers
For PASM
Damptronics- Height adjustable coilvoers that work with OEM PASM system......contact Bilstien for specifics but pretty sure they have similer internal electronic valving that PASM shocks would.....PASM system would function and so does dash switch.

Needless to say, normal advantage of a coilover system is you have the control to tweek the system and get it right.....set height anywhere, set rake, corner balance (w/adjustable DLs), align.....and if you get it too low, adjust til you get it right.

Wife' C4S Cab w/PASM (10mm) we dropped another 20mm....worked well.
I have both H&R and Bilstien systems on dif Pcars...There are other quality products besides H&R & Bil. Good installation is important. Wife's car does not have the 'Bilstien clunk' I've heard others talk about....some think that's install. I'm fortunate to have Kelly Moss as my local speed shop.
Another good source for suspension advice....Mike @ AWE.....always helpful.
Good luck.....nice looking car!
if with coil overs, H&R or Bilstien would you suggest? since you have first hand experience with both.
Thanks

Originally Posted by jj123van
First of all... how did you get the LED and headlight on at the same time? The LED dims when I turn on my headlight, but it seems to be on at full intensity in your photo.

As for lowering, I know what you mean. I finally could not stand the extended wheel gap for the factory setup. So, I went with KW's V3. Installed on car for 2 weeks, using half-way setting for compression and rebound. Feels a lots tighter than before. I used it as a daily driver, and it's not nearly as harsh as I thought it would be. Probably going to adjust it to harder setting on the weekend and see how it goes.

The only downside so far is the occasional "clunking"... I'm pretty sure it's from the short secondary spring. It's kinda strange, I only get clunking when I'm on relatively smooth but waving road. But there's no clunking at all for bumpy roads or road joints.
I think mine dims too.. maybe its the camera, ill take some pictures tomorrow.
I have 19'' rims now, and i worry if i change springs / Coil overs, if the ride will get more harsh..

Originally Posted by Sleepy996
Wow just noticed the front window is insanely dark ! Looks awesome though !
haha thanks..

Originally Posted by JoeShark
Unless you've got money to burn, bad idea. Labor is basically the same for either, parts is where the difference in the price is. Why pay for labor twice. Pick what you want to go with and do it rather than springs first and C/O's later.

FWIW, I've got TechArt springs on my car, PASM continues to work perfectly and have no regrets. Lot's and lots of threads and opinions here on springs vs. C/O's.

Interesting to see how high your car came stock as I started a thread awhile back asking about ride height of cars destined for the U.S. versus rest of world and it seemed that only cars headed to the U.S. were set-up with the huge wheel-well gap.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...est-world.html
I want to save money, if not I would do coilovers, im just wondering if i can just switch springs and use oem coilovers.
Oh i read your thread! my mines C2, and im located in Taiwan.
Does C2S sit lower than C2?

Originally Posted by ryem3
Some may be under this impression. However, it's not like you can turn the collars on Friday night, hit the track, then turn the collars back on Sunday night. They are not easy to adjust and you need an alignment specific to the ride height. If you don't like the ride height, you CAN have the suspension raised or lowered by your shop - plus the new alignment. In order to set it up even (or even to corner balance it), your shop is going to charge a few hours labor to do it. PLUS the $250-400 alignment. I would go for an adjustable shock set with fixed springs. Set ride height and adjustable shocks. Unfortunately, not really available for these cars. Anyway, the coilovers are still the setup of choice to get matched springs and dampers. Set the ride height you want and forget them.

Oh, and with the aerokit you will find yourself vaporizing the front lip, which I see you've painted. Depending on where you live and how **** you are, you could be replacing it every 6 months.

When we're talking about ride height, I didn't really check, but I'm guessing that is a standard Carrera and not an S. Really compelled me to get the S - lower stock ride height.
yeah best idea is to get coil overs to match springs..
the aero kit's lip came white, not black like GTS or Turbo.
After seeing white painted, i kinda wished it was black...
Im in asia, roads here and multiple basements its quite annoying, scrapping will defiantly occur. How much lower is C2S than standard C2?

Originally Posted by maxzboy
I have Techart springs on my car and after speaking to Bryan at RSS, Im convinced to go w/ Bilstein coilovers soon. Though I don't track the car very often (once or twice a year), I think the setup just make sense since both the springs and struts are designed to work together. It's nice to know that you have it there just incase you need to use it for those spirited driving. After all, you are driving a Porsche. You don't always floor it, but it's just nice to know that when you want to, it's there.
you make a good point. "nice to know that when you want to, it's there"
How do you like your techart springs? is it enough if i don't plan to track?

Originally Posted by JTaylorGT
One other option which hasn't been mentioned is the dynamically adjustable lift kit that allows you to press a button while driving under a certain speed to raise the front lip 1-2". I live in a high-rise condo in midtown Atlanta and have to get in and out of a parking garage - I want the lowered look but not the body damage from ramps/speed bumps.

If only I had the $8k+ to spend on the lift kit - problem solved, but crazy expensive! I can't remember the vendor, but they advertize in Panorama magazine.

Awesome ride btw! Like someone else said, the painted front lip may be something to reconsider when you have to replace it. I actually like it unpainted (like OEM 997TT) because it doesn't show the scrapes as much.
the aero kits lip came a bit white, not black like gt3, otherwise i woulda just left it black, im gonna go ask if i have that one replaced if i could get a black one. the front looks bit too long with the lip painted white...

Old 04-29-2010, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by PersianGodFatha
the kit looks cool...How do you have your day time running lights on at the same time as your headlights? Love It
i don't think i do, might be the camera..il take some pics

Old 04-29-2010, 09:49 AM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jo2e6y
I want to save money, if not I would do coilovers, im just wondering if i can just switch springs and use oem coilovers.
Oh i read your thread! my mines C2, and im located in Taiwan.
Does C2S sit lower than C2?
Not sure but cars equipped with PASM do sit lower. TechArt springs drop cars with PASM 15mm and cars without PASM 20mm.

My drop was 15mm and I think it is perfect. Gets rid of the huge wheel well gap but not dropped so much that it makes the car undrivable or looked slammed. Here's two pics. The last one on the grass makes the car look lower to the ground than it actually is because the grass is kind of tall.

Attached Images   
Old 04-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Not sure but cars equipped with PASM do sit lower. TechArt springs drop cars with PASM 15mm and cars without PASM 20mm.

My drop was 15mm and I think it is perfect. Gets rid of the huge wheel well gap but not dropped so much that it makes the car undrivable or looked slammed. Here's two pics. The last one on the grass makes the car look lower to the ground than it actually is because the grass is kind of tall.
THanks for the pictures,
Yeah I cant have the car too low..we got bumpy roads here

Do you have OEM Coil Overs with Techart Springs?

Old 04-29-2010, 10:10 AM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Whatever stock C/O's is what I have as I only added the TechArt springs and not any aftermarket C/O's. Sorry, wish I could be of more help.

If you go springs and are worried about dropping the car to much, be careful with H&R as they drop the car more than TechArt. Also, some claim (including a major sponsor here on 6speed) that H&R's tend to sag over time.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Whatever stock C/O's is what I have as I only added the TechArt springs and not any aftermarket C/O's. Sorry, wish I could be of more help.

If you go springs and are worried about dropping the car to much, be careful with H&R as they drop the car more than TechArt. Also, some claim (including a major sponsor here on 6speed) that H&R's tend to sag over time.
thanks for your help already!
is it true if just change springs, the life of stock coil over will shorten?

Old 04-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by jo2e6y
thanks for your help already!
is it true if just change springs, the life of stock coil over will shorten?
Really have no idea as I've only had my car with the TechArt springs on for about a year. Still very happy and have no complaints.

There are many, many, many (did I say many ) threads here on 6speed on springs versus C/O's and strong and emotional opinions on both.

One person you might want to send a PM or email to (as well as buying the springs or C/O's from as they are awesome) is Alex over at Sharkwerks. They are a sponsor here and one of the premier Porsche tuning shops around.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:09 AM
mact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of light
OEM doesnt have coilovers...if they did, you wouldnt need to buy coilovers as coilovers gives you the freedom to change ride height.

If cost is even an remote issue, do GMG springs and if you can afford it, GMG sways.

Coilovers are for people who will track the car imho....sure you could buy coils for looks only but to me anyway, not an efficient use of funds.

If you had an older car with high mileage and shocks are worn down already I would agree adding stiffer springs alone would degrade the shocks even further but not sure if this would be an issue for Porsches given that most Porsches are not high mileage cars and the OEM shocks are high quality Bilsteins anyway....but with excessive use all shocks whether OEM or aftermkt will degrade I would think.

I would guess 9/10 people who have Bilstein Damp's on their car(including myself) wouldnt know the difference between GMG springs/sways vs Bilstein Damps....and by "know the difference" I mean pick out which one is clearly better.

While I am very happy with the Damp's I do admit it was prob a waste of money and if I had to do it all over again, I would prob do GMG spring/sways and not worry about the "clunk", snapping shocks and horrible Bilstein customer service.

Drop the car 15-20mm and add 5mm spacer up front and 15mm for rear and youre car will look great.

My 0.02.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:15 AM
jj123van is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mact3333
OEM doesnt have coilovers...if they did, you wouldnt need to buy coilovers as coilovers gives you the freedom to change ride height.

GT3 and GT3RS has OEM height adjustable suspension. Just saw it last week. Probably cost quite a few pennies though.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:37 PM
sanjay is a jewel in the roughsanjay is a jewel in the roughsanjay is a jewel in the rough
is your windshield tinted too?

wow