997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2 C2 with AERO KIT, question about lowering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:43 AM
jo2e6y is infamous around these parts
Talking 997.2 C2 with AERO KIT, question about lowering

I just got the new Aero Kit installed on my 09 C2, I will post pictures shortly.
however what bother me now is the height of of the car, it has to be lowered.

My car is PDK equipped with PASM (i have the sport button/chrono/PSM button)
I was told since my car has PASM, the coil over/springs would cost more
(i don't have much knowledge about lowering/suspension of a car)

Can any advise how much lowering, what brands, the costs?

Thanks

Old 04-27-2010, 05:24 PM
maxzboy is infamous around these parts
tirerack is having a special sale on H&R full kit. it's the lowest price I"ve seen anywhere since i've been looking at the same setups.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Porsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the rough
never heard about it costing more. If it is just springs then PASM should operate the same. Please post pics of the car. Excited to see them.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:54 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
no pics.. no help.

jk

there is a coil from bilstein that utilizes the PASM but its pretty expensive.

not sure if u need it if u r not tracking ur car..

for sportier look, u can just go with the lowering springs..

from my understanding, ALL springs are either made by eibach or h&r.. marketed under different names.

for instance, the techart springs (its the one i am putting in my car) are supposed to be identical to eibachs

u can still use the PASM button and u will get two settings still.. but it may be a little stiffer than before.

PM some of the vendors here for a special price

Old 04-28-2010, 12:06 AM

picturess

Old 04-28-2010, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by maxzboy
tirerack is having a special sale on H&R full kit. it's the lowest price I"ve seen anywhere since i've been looking at the same setups.
Do i just purchase coil overs set? it includes springs? do i need to get other springs or shocks?

Originally Posted by Porsche119
never heard about it costing more. If it is just springs then PASM should operate the same. Please post pics of the car. Excited to see them.
Oh, I just checked on tirerack, seems like the ones with for PASM is bit more expensive than non PASM

Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
no pics.. no help.

jk

there is a coil from bilstein that utilizes the PASM but its pretty expensive.

not sure if u need it if u r not tracking ur car..

for sportier look, u can just go with the lowering springs..

from my understanding, ALL springs are either made by eibach or h&r.. marketed under different names.

for instance, the techart springs (its the one i am putting in my car) are supposed to be identical to eibachs

u can still use the PASM button and u will get two settings still.. but it may be a little stiffer than before.

PM some of the vendors here for a special price
I don't track my car, I just want a sportier look, I heard if I mod the suspensions i would have to mod both coil over and springs, and modding springs alone will hurt the suspension? Please correct me if i'm wrong.
So for your car you only switched out the springs and kept everythin else suspension wise stock?

thanks guys for the feedback!

Old 04-28-2010, 12:22 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I would have to drop it from it's SUV ride height (stock). I also would get coil overs rather than springs because the intallation cost will be the same for both and as long as it has to be done .. then I would opt to do it right.

Now you will face adjusting to less clearance . But that's just the way it goes.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I would have to drop it from it's SUV ride height (stock). I also would get coil overs rather than springs because the intallation cost will be the same for both and as long as it has to be done .. then I would opt to do it right.

Now you will face adjusting to less clearance . But that's just the way it goes.
Yeah! 911 Cayenne Edition.

Your saying coilovers instead of springs? or coilovers includes springs?
If i just change the springs alone to K&W?Blistine...would this be okay? or this will hurt my car?

yeah adjusting to the new height will be annoying due to all the basements i have to enter everyday and road condition isnt ideal.

Eibach Springs
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...140&perfCode=S

Blistein PSS9 coilover kit
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s....H0&perfCode=P

do i get either one? or do i need to get both?

Old 04-28-2010, 12:57 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Here is a picture of my Turbo (Techart) spring next to the Bilstein coil over . I went from stock, to springs to coil overs (3 differerent suspensions). I like the coil overs the most . Beside the adjustable ride height I felt that when I compared the two my opinion was that both planted the car .. but with the springs I felt more stress was placed on the tires but with the Bilsteins the suspension worked with the tires in a more fluid manner.

With my 997S the new drive is phenominal .. but i don't have pictures from the install . I can post a before and after of the car though if you'd like.

Attached Images   
Old 04-28-2010, 01:08 AM
First two = before
Second two =after

Attached Images     
Old 04-28-2010, 01:59 AM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Here is a picture of my Turbo (Techart) spring next to the Bilstein coil over . I went from stock, to springs to coil overs (3 differerent suspensions). I like the coil overs the most . Beside the adjustable ride height I felt that when I compared the two my opinion was that both planted the car .. but with the springs I felt more stress was placed on the tires but with the Bilsteins the suspension worked with the tires in a more fluid manner.

With my 997S the new drive is phenominal .. but i don't have pictures from the install . I can post a before and after of the car though if you'd like.

Thanks for the pictures of the coil over and before and after pics of your 911S.

My question now, if I just switch out the springs alone, it will lower my ride height? But will it hurt my suspension? Would it be okay to just switch out the springs first then a year later get coil overs?

Please advise. thanks

Old 04-28-2010, 04:38 AM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
Can you see through that dark tint? Looks good!

Old 04-28-2010, 04:43 AM
Originally Posted by P997S
Can you see through that dark tint? Looks good!
no need for sunglasses during the day.
bit hard a night...wished it was a tad lighter though
but I think it looks awesome with the white, very clean i must say...hehehe

Old 04-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jo2e6y
Thanks for the pictures of the coil over and before and after pics of your 911S.

My question now, if I just switch out the springs alone, it will lower my ride height? But will it hurt my suspension? Would it be okay to just switch out the springs first then a year later get coil overs?

Please advise. thanks
It really depends what you use the car for. If you're going to the track often, or even only 3 or 4 times per year, you will be much happier with coilovers.

If you're only driving the car on the street and your main concern is looks, not performance, then lowering springs will be an OK option. Remember, the OEM PASM shocks are made by Bilstein, so they are quite good.

Basically, here's the cost differences as well:

Springs: $350 + installation
PASM compatible coilovers: $2900 + installation

Old 04-28-2010, 10:00 AM
akim47 is infamous around these partsakim47 is infamous around these parts
do a search on forums.rennlist.com , i think his name is jetpilot or something.. he recently lowered his C2 with H&R springs plus spacers to give you an idea of how low the car is (i think ur car is slightly lower stock b/c of pasm)...

don't worry about stock suspension... if u opted for c/o what would u do with the oem shocks anyways? prob end up with 4 struts in a box in a garage for a long time...

that being said, i've always been a long time proponent of c/o's... u paid xxxx much for your car, what's the extra couple grand? i'd say just do it the right way... the bilsteins seem to weapon of choice... kw v3's are good, but i dont think they have product out for the 997.2 yet (i may be wrong)...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 C2 with AERO KIT, question about lowering