997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.1 SSK Which one?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 12:34 AM
Youyou is infamous around these parts
997.1 SSK Which one?

So after reading many reviews here it seems that this is one of those must mods.
So i'm going to go ahead and get it done but i just don't know which one to order. There are so many different companies making SSK's that it's a little confusing.
For example Suncoast has the B&M SSK for 249$ or the Porsche Factory SSK for 426$.
Is there any difference between the both? Is one shorter/better then the other?
I also have the opportunity to grab a EVO SSK for about 150$ Used.
Can anyone comment on the EVO SSK? Is it any good?

Does it really make a difference which company makes the SSK or is it all the same?

And lastly are all 997 SSK compatible between models?
Example : 2006 C4S , 2007 TT , 2005 C2 etc.

Thank you for your help.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:23 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
The OEM is the best --fits like a glove.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:19 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
+1 For the factory, it's the only fool-proof version available.

The 997 SSK fits all of these models:
  • Boxster - 1997-2010 (all versions with manual transmission)
  • Cayman - 2006-2010 (all versions with manual transmission)
  • 911 - 1999-2010 (all versions with manual transmission)

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 04-28-2010, 08:05 AM
Thank you for your replies.
But can someone elaborate on why i should go with the Porsche SSK.
I understand that it's OEM so quality might be better but it is really worth twice the price then other SSK's?

Old 04-28-2010, 08:17 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I have the OEM shifter in my current 997 as well as my first 997, and I wonder why it isn't a standard feature in these cars. I would recommend it to anyone that is interested in this mod.

From what I have read, the B&M are good as well, but really the OEM is only $175 more then the B&M.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:23 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by NorthVan
I have the OEM shifter in my current 997 as well as my first 997, and I wonder why it isn't a standard feature in these cars. I would recommend it to anyone that is interested in this mod.

From what I have read, the B&M are good as well, but really the OEM is only $175 more then the B&M.
Although there are cases where I agree with the "little extra more is worth it", I do not understand why this is one of those cases. The extra $175 adds up over time and if the B&M really is just as good, truely what is the point in spending the extra coin? Is it just to say that you have the Porsche branded SSK?

Old 04-28-2010, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by gloves
Although there are cases where I agree with the "little extra more is worth it", I do not understand why this is one of those cases. The extra $175 adds up over time and if the B&M really is just as good, truely what is the point in spending the extra coin? Is it just to say that you have the Porsche branded SSK?
+1
That's exactly what i'd like to know...

Old 04-28-2010, 08:39 AM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
I heard somewhere that B&M actually makes the OEM shifter for Porsche...anyone else heard this?

J

Old 04-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xXxGhotimanxXx
I heard somewhere that B&M actually makes the OEM shifter for Porsche...anyone else heard this?

J

That is false, the factory 996 SSK was a B&M replica.

The 997 SSK is completely different. The 997 SSK comes with the mechanical shifting mechanism, as well as the bracket assembly around it. The bracket comes with an alignment tool too, so the kit will be perfectly aligned for your installation.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 04-28-2010, 09:55 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
The point I was making was that the OEM kit wasn't double the B&M. I have no experience with the B&M, and have only heard good things about. If the OP wants to get the B&M I think that it is a good value when compared to the OEM, but not half price. The other thing to look at is as Ric pointed out, the OEM comes with the proper tools to install it...how much is each kit cost by the time they are installed? Including tools, and labour (or time if this is a DIY)

Old 04-28-2010, 10:17 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by NorthVan
The point I was making was that the OEM kit wasn't double the B&M. I have no experience with the B&M, and have only heard good things about. If the OP wants to get the B&M I think that it is a good value when compared to the OEM, but not half price. The other thing to look at is as Ric pointed out, the OEM comes with the proper tools to install it...how much is each kit cost by the time they are installed? Including tools, and labour (or time if this is a DIY)
An excelent point. Not knowing what the difference truely was between the 2 made this less obvious.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Youyou
+1
That's exactly what i'd like to know...
There is a difference. The OEM kit is purely plug and play, it replaces the entire mechanism.

The B&M kit requires disassembling the OEM unit and replacing with the new linkage.

What you'll save on the purchase price you'll spend on the extra install cost. If you use the OEM kit, you'll also be able to swap back to the stock shifter very easily, whereas you won't be able to do that so easily with the B&M kit because of the modifications required to install it.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:28 AM
SGNTR35 is a jewel in the roughSGNTR35 is a jewel in the roughSGNTR35 is a jewel in the roughSGNTR35 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Tom@Rennsport-1

What you'll save on the purchase price you'll spend on the extra install cost. If you use the OEM kit, you'll also be able to swap back to the stock shifter very easily, whereas you won't be able to do that so easily with the B&M kit because of the modifications required to install it.
+1

Made it a no brainier when it came to making my decisions...

Old 04-28-2010, 11:46 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tom@Rennsport-1
There is a difference. The OEM kit is purely plug and play, it replaces the entire mechanism.

The B&M kit requires disassembling the OEM unit and replacing with the new linkage.

that was the main reason for me getting the oem, also.

simple drop-in install.. gotta love it

when i decide to trade my current car for the turbo, i m gonna take the ssk kit out and drop the stock one back in.

then i can re-sell the SSK or use it in the turbo.. that is if i dont end up getting the PDK turbo..

but either way, ssk is the way to go !

Old 04-28-2010, 01:12 PM
afridi is infamous around these parts
B&M have a big presence in professional racing. Had one in my E36 M3.....really nice kit.

But there is something to be said for a drop in plug&play system like the OEM one.

If it were me: Hard tracking=B&M
Sport/fun/occasional track use=OEM SSK.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 SSK Which one?