997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Hardwire V1 to 997.2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 03:33 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Hardwire V1 to 997.2

I ran across this site while trying to look for a solution to hard-wire my V1 near the rearview mirror. Anyone has any experience with this wire? http://invisicord.com/osc2/catalog/index.php

It seems like a nice solution and Im wondering if the standard wire will work.

Last edited by JmanE55; 04-28-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:47 PM
pcs
pcs has a spectacular aura aboutpcs has a spectacular aura about
Check with Gary at G Rides - he has a very nice DIY hardwire kit - I installed mine in about a half hour.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
I hardwired my V1 yesterday. It's a very simple install. I have it wired up by rearview mirror, the wire is run from rearview the headliner across drivers side, then down to front of dash, carefully tucked in, then back towards the door, under the rubber trim, and down to the fuse box. You unscrew the 3 screws and whole piece come off for you to hide your wire kit. I used the fuse for the rear wiper which is a switched fuse so it goes on and off with the car. I don't have a rear wiper so it was the perfect fuse to use.
Also once you remove the cover you'll see the perfect ground, loosen that nut in front and lock it down. Test before you button up.

I have 2 current 997's and I did the same install in both. Been working over a year flawlessly in my 09. Just offering an alternative install for you. I don't like tapping into the map lights, or ignition. This way is easily to reverse also.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:12 PM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
And you already have everything you need in your V1 kit.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:17 AM
PersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Scott997
I hardwired my V1 yesterday. It's a very simple install. I have it wired up by rearview mirror, the wire is run from rearview the headliner across drivers side, then down to front of dash, carefully tucked in, then back towards the door, under the rubber trim, and down to the fuse box. You unscrew the 3 screws and whole piece come off for you to hide your wire kit. I used the fuse for the rear wiper which is a switched fuse so it goes on and off with the car. I don't have a rear wiper so it was the perfect fuse to use.
Also once you remove the cover you'll see the perfect ground, loosen that nut in front and lock it down. Test before you button up.

I have 2 current 997's and I did the same install in both. Been working over a year flawlessly in my 09. Just offering an alternative install for you. I don't like tapping into the map lights, or ignition. This way is easily to reverse also.

Thanks for the Info, Sounds simple, Im going to try to do this saturday

Old 04-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Sven has a spectacular aura aboutSven has a spectacular aura about
Does anyone else think Valentine should make a Lion battery powered detector? Mike says on the website that it wouldn't supply enough power, but I'm not sure that is true if we are willing to accept a detector that will only last a couple hours on a charge. 95% of my trips are under an hour r/t, and I'm very used to charging everything else in my life: my cell phone, my blackberry, my two blue tooth devices, my laptop, either every day or every other day. Also, I only turn on my V1 for certain stretches of road, because I don't want to forget to turn it off when I park. Maybe they could sell a battery pack it can plug into?

Old 04-29-2010, 04:08 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sven
Does anyone else think Valentine should make a Lion battery powered detector? Mike says on the website that it wouldn't supply enough power, but I'm not sure that is true if we are willing to accept a detector that will only last a couple hours on a charge. 95% of my trips are under an hour r/t, and I'm very used to charging everything else in my life: my cell phone, my blackberry, my two blue tooth devices, my laptop, either every day or every other day. Also, I only turn on my V1 for certain stretches of road, because I don't want to forget to turn it off when I park. Maybe they could sell a battery pack it can plug into?
That's a very good idea, I'll write them for suggestion of next model of V1.

Thanks Scott. I'll try the install this Saturday.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:26 AM
tri
tri is infamous around these parts
very good information here. thanks Scott997

Old 04-30-2010, 07:04 AM
I appreciate the positive feedback. I took some pictures to go with my explanation. I have done almost the identical installation on 8 cars that remember. The only variation has been which fuse I have chosen. The fuse for the rear wiper is perfect in our cars is perfect, unless you have a rear wiper that is.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:10 AM
The arrows point to where the wire is hidden from sight. When you go along side of the dash, u will need a thin tool that is plastic, so you don't chip anything.

When you get down to the fuse box unscrew the 3 screws and that whole panel comes out, it may help to take out your floor mat. The ground nut will now be accesible, and a good place to hide your wiring kit. You can use the fuse puller tool included or snub nose pliers to remove your fuse.

You cut the end of the red wire off and strip it. Make sure you strip enough off. You're going to guide it in the top of the space where the fuse goes, and insert the fuse. This may take a few times, and you want it tight. Gently tug the wire to make sure it's in there. Once you have this and the ground done, turn on the radar, now put your key in the car and turn it, no need to start the car. See if your radar powers up & it should!

Attached Images     
Old 07-19-2010, 09:01 AM
burbel is infamous around these parts
Scott, hate to bring threads back from the past, but I tried doing this the other weekend, and ran into a number of "issues" (electrical). My car is a C4S with PDK, if that matters at all. Everything you put was just fine, except for I think I got confused in the fuse box. In the photo you put, the fuse socket that you used has a 15 amp fuse. I stuck the wire into that fuse, and the detector did come on, switched, but the fuse was still out. The car would not start, and the engine reported that it was in limp mode. I had to pull out the detector wire and re-insert the 15A fuse to get the car to start.

Can you clarify again what it is that you did with that fuse box? Where does the red wire go? How do you get it to where it needs to go?

Thanks on a great writeup overall, very helpful!

The arrows point to where the wire is hidden from sight. When you go along side of the dash, u will need a thin tool that is plastic, so you don't chip anything.

When you get down to the fuse box unscrew the 3 screws and that whole panel comes out, it may help to take out your floor mat. The ground nut will now be accesible, and a good place to hide your wiring kit. You can use the fuse puller tool included or snub nose pliers to remove your fuse.

You cut the end of the red wire off and strip it. Make sure you strip enough off. You're going to guide it in the top of the space where the fuse goes, and insert the fuse. This may take a few times, and you want it tight. Gently tug the wire to make sure it's in there. Once you have this and the ground done, turn on the radar, now put your key in the car and turn it, no need to start the car. See if your radar powers up & it should!

Old 07-19-2010, 12:36 PM
BLKonBLK911C4S is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by burbel
Scott, hate to bring threads back from the past, but I tried doing this the other weekend, and ran into a number of "issues" (electrical). My car is a C4S with PDK, if that matters at all. Everything you put was just fine, except for I think I got confused in the fuse box. In the photo you put, the fuse socket that you used has a 15 amp fuse. I stuck the wire into that fuse, and the detector did come on, switched, but the fuse was still out. The car would not start, and the engine reported that it was in limp mode. I had to pull out the detector wire and re-insert the 15A fuse to get the car to start.

Can you clarify again what it is that you did with that fuse box? Where does the red wire go? How do you get it to where it needs to go?

Thanks on a great writeup overall, very helpful!

You probably just need to find a fuse that is not being used.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:05 PM
BLKonBLK911C4S is infamous around these parts
Has anyone used one of these - Fuse tap. Makes the fuse install look professional.

Name:  another fuse tap.jpg
Views: 1556
Size:  34.9 KB

Name:  fuse tap.jpg
Views: 1498
Size:  19.0 KB

Old 07-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Burbel, I'm so sorry you ran into some trouble. When you open up the fuse box theres a small booklet. Find the fuse number that corresponds to the rear wiper, which you most likely don't have and use that. I think you may have pulled the wrong one. You can always ask your Porsche tech for help too if you have a good relationship.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:59 PM
DRLC6 is infamous around these parts
Nice Thread thanks for the info.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hardwire V1 to 997.2