997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Gundo hack complete!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:48 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Gundo hack complete!!

Total price for this was: $365 (set of mufflers), $239 for weld job, $95 for installation. Total $699...compared to $2500 for the sport exhaust I feel pretty good.

When I picked the car up after 6 PM nobody was around so I could start it up, get out, listen to it at idle, etc. At cruising speeds the change is barely noticeable, but get on the throttle and it sounds like it should, IMHO. I haven't even gone past 5000 rpm yet with it. The mechanic at the dealer said I would love the sound, and I do. He asked me how much I paid for the welding. I got a great weld job at a local automotive engineering place that works mostly on Mustangs.

Here's a pic from it installed on the car. I recommend this to any owner with a stock exhaust. I think it's just a tad different than the PSE that was on my Boxster RS60. Very similar though. I think at WOT it will be louder.

Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2010, 10:04 AM
djlod is infamous around these parts
Awesome.
I'm glad everything worked out.
Post a video when you get the chance.
I'd like to hear it.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:13 AM
nijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud of
Glad you like it

I am waiting on a set to be shipped, there is a guy on rennlist Darin Fister he has a shop out west, 225.00 for a set of 996 or 997 mufflers modified. You send him yours back after the install of the one he sends you. He also does some custom finishes on the for around 200.00 more.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:01 AM
maxzboy is infamous around these parts
is this method purely for noise or some performance is expected? i guess psychologically it feels like the car is propelling faster due to the db it creates in the rear. Good and ingenious method.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Looks like a very clean job on the welding.
I think you paid a bit more than I've seen elsewhere though. Regardless, the Gundo Hack is terrific. Enjoy!
CATTMAN

Old 04-30-2010, 11:32 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chance6
Total price for this was: $365 (set of mufflers), $239 for weld job, $95 for installation. Total $699...compared to $2500 for the sport exhaust I feel pretty good.
just month ago I sold my fabspeed maxflo mufflers for $800 and it is quite typical price for used cans.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
just month ago I sold my fabspeed maxflo mufflers for $800 and it is quite typical price for used cans.
For used aftermarket cans, sure.
But used or even new OEM cans can be had for $150. And already prepared Gundo Hacked cans are available for around $400.
CATTMAN

Old 04-30-2010, 11:43 AM
akacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to behold
I did mine recently as well but used my existing mufflers. Around $365 at Mineke for the labor. Very happy with the results!

Old 04-30-2010, 11:54 AM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
wow..i feel good - just sold my oem mufflers and tips for $375

Old 04-30-2010, 12:37 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
OP.. that looks real good.

the weld job looks clean. u get what u pay for.

Originally Posted by maxzboy
is this method purely for noise or some performance is expected? i guess psychologically it feels like the car is propelling faster due to the db it creates in the rear. Good and ingenious method.
its for sound.

however, most after market mufflers will not give u any noticeable gain in HP/TQ either

sometimes the exhaust change can alter the hp/tq graph.. at times resulting in loss of low-end torque but gaining top-end HP

for noticeable gains, u would have to change at least the cat, the intake and get a ecu flash

Old 04-30-2010, 12:40 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
What size pipe was used for the hack?

Old 04-30-2010, 01:17 PM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
That looks to be a very very nice weld job!......... (as opposed to something that literally makes the name "hack" literal). You get what you pay for like was mentioned!
(Looks like TIG work from the pics, but can't tell with the blurr)

Again, very nice job done!

Old 04-30-2010, 01:24 PM
nijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud of
I agree

Originally Posted by KaamaCat
That looks to be a very very nice weld job!......... (as opposed to something that literally makes the name "hack" literal). You get what you pay for like was mentioned!
(Looks like TIG work from the pics, but can't tell with the blurr)

Again, very nice job done!
It is called a hack but doesn't have to be one. I am going to get a new 997 but all I keep doing is putting money into the old one......

Old 04-30-2010, 02:46 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by P997S
wow..i feel good - just sold my oem mufflers and tips for $375

You are one LUCKY dude.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:01 PM
type997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant future
I've got a set of 997.2 OEM side mufflers I'll sell for $375 shipped

Anyone? Anyone?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gundo hack complete!!