997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Swapped out head unit for Pioneer AvicZ110bt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 03:35 PM
hieracity is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ogun228
nyce,

Hello nyce,

I'm in need of some help:

I also am trying to swap out my head unit for an AVIC and after all the research I've done and after I've talked to many installers, the one I settled on found out that because of the fiber optics in the Porsche, he cannot find an interface that will allow the installation.

My car is a one week purchase of a C4S coupe built in 07/04, originally sold as a 05.

The current head unit is a CDR23 and the installer, Sam's Sound in West Caldwell, NJ tells me that the only feasible way is to re-wire the whole car, something I'm unwilling to do because of cost considerations. My budget is 2K.

Could you tell me what interface you used in your car?

I'd really appreciate your help in trying to resolve this.

Many thanks in advance,

Jean-David

I think the the Euro MotorSpeed kit might work. I could be wrong though...

Euro MotorSpeed can be found on ebay.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:32 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ogun228
nyce,

Hello nyce,

I'm in need of some help:

I also am trying to swap out my head unit for an AVIC and after all the research I've done and after I've talked to many installers, the one I settled on found out that because of the fiber optics in the Porsche, he cannot find an interface that will allow the installation.

My car is a one week purchase of a C4S coupe built in 07/04, originally sold as a 05.

The current head unit is a CDR23 and the installer, Sam's Sound in West Caldwell, NJ tells me that the only feasible way is to re-wire the whole car, something I'm unwilling to do because of cost considerations. My budget is 2K.

Could you tell me what interface you used in your car?

I'd really appreciate your help in trying to resolve this.

Many thanks in advance,

Jean-David
Seriously, if you are planning on replacing the head unit, your installer is a complete rip off artist or he is clueless to the workings and wiring of a Porsche and I would find someone more experienced.

The car does not have to be re-wired nor does there need to be any kind of interface piece needed. Just bypass the stock amp and either use the power from the new head unit or another external amp and use the existing wires to the speakers. Its a very simple install.

Good luck and seriously, you are either being ripped off or the guy is inexperienced with Porsche. Find someone else!

Old 06-11-2010, 04:34 PM
hieracity is infamous around these parts
^ I would listen to him. LOL

Old 10-03-2010, 08:35 PM
jabbaworks is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by socalsteve
Seriously, if you are planning on replacing the head unit, your installer is a complete rip off artist or he is clueless to the workings and wiring of a Porsche and I would find someone more experienced.

The car does not have to be re-wired nor does there need to be any kind of interface piece needed. Just bypass the stock amp and either use the power from the new head unit or another external amp and use the existing wires to the speakers. Its a very simple install.

Good luck and seriously, you are either being ripped off or the guy is inexperienced with Porsche. Find someone else!
is the CDR the stock HU and not the pcm?
my car will have bose but not pcm. is the install the same since it has the bose harness?

Old 10-31-2010, 06:10 PM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
Can the steering wheel controls still function with any of the aftermarket head units?

Old 11-16-2010, 08:23 AM
scottkim is infamous around these parts
Has anyone done this with a San Francisco Bay Area dealer? I'd be interested in finding someone who has done this already locally. Thanks!

Old 11-16-2010, 02:33 PM
wookie is infamous around these parts
excellent install, very clean looking

Old 11-16-2010, 03:21 PM
CJKCyclone is infamous around these parts
What functionality is lost?

It seems logical that the trip computer is gone with this swap, but is there anything else that goes missing that could be considered valuable?