997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Carrera GTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 12:04 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Carrera GTS

I just got this from a local dealer:

"Carrera S variant expected later this year, a Carrera GTS. There will be Coupes and Cabriolets. They’ll be rear-wheel-drive cars but with wide Turbo (Carrera 4S) bodies. The 408 horsepower X51 Powerkit* will be standard along with other special extras. We’re told to expect the base price for the Coupe to be approximately $103,000, $112,000 for the Cabriolet. And we’re told that production will be limited to 500 Coupes, 500 Cabriolets.

*X51 Carrera S Powerkit: Engine upgrade to 408 hp. Comprised of modified cylinder heads, carbon-fiber air filter casing (upper part), new variable resonance intake manifold with six tuning flaps, sports exhaust system featuring specially designed twin dual-tube tailpipes and modified engine management."

Old 05-04-2010, 12:14 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds interesting... Do you have any info on colors, pccb, sport seats, other accessories?

Old 05-04-2010, 12:23 AM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Seems like they have been reading these forums...more power, wide body, not AWD! Very cool indeed. That will be a fun car.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:27 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
For another $10k you can get a GT3, so what's the point?

Old 05-04-2010, 12:40 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sin911
For another $10k you can get a GT3, so what's the point?
PDK, street friendly, some really love the wide body, x-51 exclusive --rare .
Gt3's were abundant and no PDK .
Usually a new car like this will sell for top dollar and not retain value as well in the short term because on the used market buyers will think of every reason to avoid paying the premium that the first owner paid.

It' s interesting though. I am also beginning to wonder a 997 redesign (991) which was anticipated for 2012 as a 13 monel may face one more year as porsche wraps up thse new releases.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:47 AM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by yrralis1
PDK, street friendly, some really love the wide body, x-51 exclusive --rare
+1 I think this car will fill a niche. If the premium isn't too high it will sell well.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:56 AM
winkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by adias
I just got this from a local dealer:

"Carrera S variant expected later this year, a Carrera GTS. There will be Coupes and Cabriolets. They’ll be rear-wheel-drive cars but with wide Turbo (Carrera 4S) bodies. The 408 horsepower X51 Powerkit* will be standard along with other special extras. We’re told to expect the base price for the Coupe to be approximately $103,000, $112,000 for the Cabriolet. And we’re told that production will be limited to 500 Coupes, 500 Cabriolets.

*X51 Carrera S Powerkit: Engine upgrade to 408 hp. Comprised of modified cylinder heads, carbon-fiber air filter casing (upper part), new variable resonance intake manifold with six tuning flaps, sports exhaust system featuring specially designed twin dual-tube tailpipes and modified engine management."
Lol, Carlsen?
I was just reading my email....

Old 05-04-2010, 05:14 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
If they are only going to produce 500 of them, my bet is that if you were going to have one (new) you'd already know, as those limited models don't often make their way to dealerships, and are instead reserved for VIPs- folks like Seinfeld, Leno, Oil Sheiks, and misc other collectors. Similar to the Porsche Sport Classic, of which all are already spoken for before the production run is complete.

This was something Porsche used to do as Homologation Specials for racing: in order for Porsche to get one of their cars to qualify as a "production vehicle" for certain race series a certain # had to be produced for sale. One example is the Porsche 924 GTS, of which Porsche built and sold 50 of them, which was the minimum # required be sold to the public for Porsche to enter that vehicle in certain race classes. All were spoken for before production was complete. BTW, I am not suggesting that this 408HP car is an example of a Homologation Special- no chance there, just an example of how limited run Porsche models are typically gone before they're even built, and ordinary non-collectors, non-celeb, non-legendary Porsche luminary guys like me can't even sniff one.
CATTMAN

Old 05-04-2010, 05:19 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Sweet!

Old 05-04-2010, 06:55 AM
Rodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really nice
This reminds me of the 40th anni a bit. End of the 996 parts bin special. Great car - I should know , but it never really was valuable. It sold for a lot less right off the bat and it commands a small premium over the 996. Once the 998 comes out, people wont think its super great. The 40th was not wide body - bummer. If you pay top $, you will lose quite a bit. If thats important.

On the flip side, its an awesome car. I dont get why people say get a GT3 instead. Its apples vs. oranges. This is a street oriented car, PDK available, wide body, softer ride, exhaust etc. Versus the GT3 which is awesome, but much less street friendly - really more for the track. The X51 will almost be as quick if not the same for the street. The GTS (if its real) would be the fastest NA street oriented 911 - like the 40th was. Different beast to the 996 GT3 at the time.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:08 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Sounds nice, can't wait to see some pictures.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Rodsky
I dont get why people say get a GT3 instead.
That's because once you've driven a GT3, the other 911 don't feel so "sporty" anymore.

And 500 is not limited enough, look at the club coupes at 50.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:16 AM
299moto is infamous around these parts
Will they be available in the US?
If so, sounds like a US version Sport Classic.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:48 AM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
No point.... I rather go with the Turbo...

Old 05-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
PDK, street friendly, some really love the wide body, x-51 exclusive --rare .
Gt3's were abundant and no PDK .
Usually a new car like this will sell for top dollar and not retain value as well in the short term because on the used market buyers will think of every reason to avoid paying the premium that the first owner paid.

It' s interesting though. I am also beginning to wonder a 997 redesign (991) which was anticipated for 2012 as a 13 monel may face one more year as porsche wraps up thse new releases.
PDK is not mentioned though... It will be exclusive, but always behind a GT3 in terms of performance. I guess it depends on what you're looking for

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carrera GTS