997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Awesome: TIRE warranty really works!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:55 PM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Awesome: TIRE warranty really works!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to relay a positive story that happened to me involving extended Tire warranty. I purchased my 09 C2 with 19" "S" wheels, new from CHAMPION PORSCHE in Pompano, Fl. Since I purchased instead of leased, and planned on keeping this car for a good amount of time (have a work provided vehicle with credit card for gas and maintenance), since it is a 3rd car, oh- and I live in a community that there are always about 10 homes being built at a time, 25 in the last 9 months; I decided, against all my previous retail spending habits- to purchase the tire warranty for $800. It is from FIDELITY, in Pompano, Fl and has a 5 year unlimited mile lifespan.

I noticed this past weekend, that the TPMS indicated 3 PSI less for the right rear tire, than the previous day. I checked the tire, didn't see anything, and added 3 PSI to the tire before I left my garage.

Upon returning a few hours later, upon closer inspection, I saw the tiny head of a roofing nail- fully imbedded in the middle of the tire- it was drivable as it was a slow leak. I went to a total tire Franchise down the block from me and they said they would honor the warranty, but it would take a day to get the tire.

Since my car is 10 months old but only has 4,000 miles -I decided to drive to Braman motors in West Palm beach for oil change and also address the tire issue.

I fully expected, some "fine print" or haggling with the warranty company over a "pro rated" value for my tire, based on miles and lifespan. NOT the case, the cost; $509.22 plus $55.00 mount/balancing was covered in FULL, less the $1.00 tire disposal fee. Zero deductible, no wait for an inspection, the dealer got an approval number right over the telephone.

I was issued a loaner and picked up my car a few hours later. Amazing, even though the tire was fully covered, the initial svc and oil change still cost $395.88!

Could have been alot worse.................Anyway, I cannot say enough good things about FIDELITY tire warranty, I wouldnt have believed it if it didn't happen to me............................

Old 05-04-2010, 09:04 PM
akacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to behold
Lucky you! A friend of mine recently had his car at the shop for 1 week waiting for approval. Insurance kept requesting more photos etc. In the end they only covered the cost of the rim at a junk yard price. The dealer also managed to scratch his rear bumper against the fence.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:54 PM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up

Hmmm, this was not the rim, just the tire, I fully expected the warranty company to inspect the tire/verify there was a nail but not the case............
Still amazed......

Old 05-04-2010, 11:12 PM
jj123van is infamous around these parts
I had no problem with claiming my tire on my M6 two years ago. I had to pay up front for the replacement and installation, but I got the reimbursement cheque within 2 weeks.

I forgot the name of the tire insurance issuer, but I remember it's based in Toronto.

I was surprised how hassel-free the tire insurance worked.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:26 AM
jplanaux is a jewel in the roughjplanaux is a jewel in the roughjplanaux is a jewel in the roughjplanaux is a jewel in the rough
I just purchased a new BMW 3 series with a tire/wheel upgrade. I am glad that I did not purchase the warranty. I have been scoping out the OEM tire/wheel section on ebay. I have not found my wheels and tires at my price point, but I am close. My plan is to get some new wheels/tires off of another new vehicle and store them. If I don't get a flat, just swap the brand new rims with tires out in a few years and sell the old ones.

Porsche wheels/tires are not abundant, but there are tons of new BMW wheel/tires available for a little more than the warranty.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:59 AM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Im glad to hear your investment is paying off.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:31 PM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
That's great to hear!

In Canada, there's a chain called Canadian Tire that sells a warranty for $6.99 on any size/type/price of tire that is available to them through their national accounts (michelin/continental/dunlop/goodyear etc).

It is my understanding that this warranty covers any road hazard or manufacturer defect and is controlled in house, not through a third party company. I would assume that it's a volume game. If the majority of the tires they sell are inexpensive, the pricey ones like PS2s get lost in the averages.

The nice part is that if the damaged tire is too worn to safely replace as a single, it covers the opposite side tire as well. So if my $700 (CDN price) 305 PS2 gets a nail in the side wall, they'll replace both rear tires and all I pay is for the install again.

I know I can get tires cheaper in the US (tire rack etc...) but the value of the warranty at over 500 locations nation wide is worth the difference in price. It'll only take one nail to pay for the difference ten fold.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:14 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
First, awesome job on getting the full new wheel paid for.

I know there are debates on whether plugging (or patching) a nail embedded in the tread is safe or not.

On these low profile, high performance summer tires, I'm not comfortable with a plug or a patch. However, on an SUV tire with a similar wound, I'd have no problem with it. My MB ML350 had a nail the other day in the tread. Called MB roadside service, they showed up at my house within 20 minutes, plugged the tire, and $20 tip later, I was off and running.

Sounds like you got a great tire insurance company -- or got lucky. I've heard of so many horror stories about people getting screwed with these warranty claims. I think their liklihood of taking the claim also depends on how many claims they receive each month or quarter.

Good for you though!

Old 05-05-2010, 01:23 PM
rockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to behold
It's actually happened to my C4S TWICE!!! on the 305/35 19 PS2's. It was no problem. Tire replaced, no questions asked. I believe if the tire is speed rated, it loses its speed rating and therefore needs to be replaced and cannot be patched. Definitely recommend the tire warranty for any of our high performance tires. It already paid for itself and then some.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:19 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
I've had my 997S for 14 months and only got one nail in the front tire but it is not loosing air and both fronts are about to be replaced anyway - they're balding. But I know living in a big city I'll continue getting about one nail per year. With previous cars (using 17" wheels), I've been lucky that they are always able to be patched from the inside and problem solved, but with the 19" Michelin PS2's, I'm just curious what everyone's experiences have been on what dictates a patch vs. tire replacement - they're not cheap to replace!!

As a general rule, I've always thought clean punctures through the tread can be patched, but bubbles or slashes in the sidewall warrant replacement - does that hold true for the 19s?

Old 05-05-2010, 02:48 PM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
Mine paid for itself as well. Took my car in for service, knew that I'd need new rears in about 3k anyway. To my surprise the dealer said "you'll be needing tires too then", he pointed at my right rear that was now totally flat! Must have picked up a slow puncture on the way there. They replaced all 4 tires as instructed but imagine my surprise when i return to pay for it to only be billed for 1 front tire!

'Apparently' they found nails in both rears & one front. I'll never know for sure but that warranty saved me $1500! Two weeks later I managed to get another nail in a rear.....

Old 05-05-2010, 03:47 PM
PHDX2 is infamous around these partsPHDX2 is infamous around these parts
Always nice to hear about good experiences.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
I have had great experiences with Sams Club on these things. They were not low profile tires, but the tire was replaced no questions asked when I took it in. Nice thing is that it is included with the install charge.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:22 PM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Keep in mind that the warranty doesn't cover the TPMS, so don't try the sealant on it if you're going to get it warranty replaced anyhow.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
The warranty you have available, depends to a great extent to what your dealer offers, the price for it, and how much additional work you want to do to get coverage not offered by your dealer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Awesome: TIRE warranty really works!!!!!!!!