997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PDK PADDLES a must!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 04:10 AM
doug2255 has a spectacular aura aboutdoug2255 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by adias
If you drive twisty roads with tight turns, and turn the wheel 180deg or more... the paddles are reversed and it's confusing. Never confusing with dual, redundant, buttons. Choice is good! But paddles are not necessarily better.
This might be a first, not sure, but I agree adias .

I never thought I would get a 911 without a "traditional" manual, bit I did. Then I thought the PDK buttons would be another hurdle to overcome. I was wrong again.

I simply can't get over how much I like them and have absolutely no desire to mod to the paddles.

I will probably be upgrading my steering wheel to add the multifunction, but not the paddles.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:57 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
I like the design and redundancy of the buttons and have never accidentally shifted.

I don't think either is a must though, just a matter of preference.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Lockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by stevepow
I like the design and redundancy of the buttons and have never accidentally shifted.

I don't think either is a must though, just a matter of preference.
ok....I probably am really enthused about the paddles.. they are a must for me . I enjoyed the buttons for daily driving... but i did however find them a little backward in the shifting. In hard braking I wanted to push them forward to downshift....

Old 05-08-2010, 12:15 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
I think that the original PAG design makes sense. Unconventional? Perhaps, but PAG is often unconventional. In any case, there's a choice now, pick the one you like.

Last edited by adias; 05-08-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:12 PM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
rather get makassar wheel than paddles...i actually love the buttons..didnt think i would but i do...shift with either hand up or down..makes sense...zero interest in paddles..rather add wood to my interior

Old 05-08-2010, 11:10 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I believe that most who have the paddles have driven both setups .
Who (on this thread) who opposes the paddles has driven them ? If so how many miles or hours ?

It's one thing to be content with buttons and quite another to go beyond it and oppose the paddles --especially since now Porsche offers both , and so do most of the other double clutch manufacturers.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:09 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Who (on this thread) who opposes the paddles has driven them ? If so how many miles or hours ?

It's one thing to be content with buttons and quite another to go beyond it and oppose the paddles --especially since now Porsche offers both , and so do most of the other double clutch manufacturers.
I've driven a BMW on tight twisty roads and did not like the constant L/R reversing of the paddles' position.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:16 AM
Rodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really nice
Originally Posted by doug2255
This might be a first, not sure, but I agree adias .

I never thought I would get a 911 without a "traditional" manual, bit I did. Then I thought the PDK buttons would be another hurdle to overcome. I was wrong again.

I simply can't get over how much I like them and have absolutely no desire to mod to the paddles.

I will probably be upgrading my steering wheel to add the multifunction, but not the paddles.
I'm in this camp too. Although - aesthetically, I may like the look of the wheel that comes with paddles more. Good thing we have choices - both are great..

Old 05-09-2010, 10:17 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
But... with PDK you may trail brake and shift at the apex and for that buttons are priceless.

People bumping into buttons do not have proper steering wheel holding technique. I never accidentally shift (up or down) w/ the buttons. Any tool can be learned and used properly.
Totally have to disagree with you here and PSDS instructors along with other top drivers/coaches and I have had this conversation. Did you read what Walter Rohl also said about the buttons?

You do not shift gears at the apex in a hair pin/tight turn. Trailbraking or not. You get you gear selection done before that and most of your braking done before turn in. You do not trail brake every turn....it truely depends on the turn.

Proper steering wheel holding technique is 3 and 9 with your thumbs on the spoke of the wheel and you pull down on the wheel to turn. The buttons are in the way of proper steering wheel technique and it is easy to upshift the car with the meat of your hand by the inside of your thumb.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:25 AM
type997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant future
I like and understand the concept of switches but to me paddles have more of the FUN FACTOR. Plus I think the paddle wheel looks nicer.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by type997
... Plus I think the paddle wheel looks nicer.
If you like a Mustang wheel that is, as that wheel seems straight from the Mustang parts bin.

Last edited by adias; 05-10-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:18 PM
supernovae is infamous around these partssupernovae is infamous around these parts
100% agreed

Old 05-09-2010, 03:14 PM
type997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant future
If you like a Mustang wheel that is, as that wheel seems straight from the Mustang parts bin.
Ouch, that stung a bit

Tells you how truly ugly the switch wheel is with that awful Volcano Gray plastic trim. I'd rather have a Ford replica. Now, replace the plastic with leather, add multifunction, heat and paddles. That would make me happy

Old 05-09-2010, 10:03 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
I agree the paddles are better

but I've gotten so used to the buttons that I'm not sure I would spend the 1k to change the set up. If I would have had the option in the beginning I would have chosen the paddles hands down.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:39 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !

Very true Larry. I kept my stock PDK buttons wheel just in case I did not like the paddles. I have 4 track days with paddles now and do not see myself going back to the push pull buttons.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PDK PADDLES a must!!