997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PDK PADDLES a must!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 11:46 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrums
Very true Larry. I kept my stock PDK buttons wheel just in case I did not like the paddles. I have 4 track days with paddles now and do not see myself going back to the push pull buttons.
I'm on 1500 miles with buttons and 3000 with paddles and can't imagine going back. I even liked the buttons --just feel the paddles are that much better.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:23 AM
etchu is infamous around these parts
paddles are more universal than buttons, easier for you to get used to when getting another hot car like Lambo or so.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Lockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant future
I have now a weekend under my belt with the Paddles.
I of course kept my heated multifunction wheel and initially thought since the change over was only 45min I would reinstall it in the fall for the comfort factor.....well I can tell you that I will be wearing gloves this winter....

Old 05-10-2010, 08:28 AM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Adias is correct. I had the same problem on the AMG Once you crank in some turn the paddles are lost.
The sep up on the steering wheel is perfect.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Lockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by OldGuy
Adias is correct. I had the same problem on the AMG Once you crank in some turn the paddles are lost.
The sep up on the steering wheel is perfect.
Just curious ...don't you find the buttons are shifted accidentally in the turns esp if you drive at the 3 and 9 position.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:34 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Lockie
Just curious ...don't you find the buttons are shifted accidentally in the turns esp if you drive at the 3 and 9 position.
I do not know how many times I repeat this. It's all a matter of holding the steering wheel correctly. My thumbs are not over the buttons. Performance driving is not gripping the wheel hard. If one is gripping the wheel, one is tense and not in control.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:36 AM
jj123van is infamous around these parts
I find the PDK's button are far better to use for day to day driving. At first, it took couple of weeks to adapt from the paddles from M6's SMG to the PDK's button.

I admit the paddles could be more fun, as you get the "bam" factor when you slap it With the buttons.... well.... they are buttons. I guess it's the typical German design, unexciting, but extremely functional.

Also, as the DD, there are many occasions where our second hands might be occupied ( i know i know, we should concentrate on driving, but it's sometimes unavoidable to take a phone call, make a phone call, or have a sip of coffee ).

Old 05-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by adias
I do not know how many times I repeat this. It's all a matter of holding the steering wheel correctly. My thumbs are not over the buttons. Performance driving is not gripping the wheel hard. If one is gripping the wheel, one is tense and not in control.
I have never gripped my wheel hard on the track..but mdrums stated it correct earlier

"Proper steering wheel holding technique is 3 and 9 with your thumbs on the spoke of the wheel and you pull down on the wheel to turn. The buttons are in the way of proper steering wheel technique and it is easy to upshift the car with the meat of your hand by the inside of your thumb." .

Old 05-10-2010, 11:58 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Lockie
I have never gripped my wheel hard on the track..but mdrums stated it correct earlier

"Proper steering wheel holding technique is 3 and 9 with your thumbs on the spoke of the wheel and you pull down on the wheel to turn. The buttons are in the way of proper steering wheel technique and it is easy to upshift the car with the meat of your hand by the inside of your thumb."

I also drive 3-9 of course. I do not pull down on the wheel to turn. I grip it on the outside as a drum brake. No issues.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Former Vendor
Sales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to behold
We have a PDK paddles solution available for all 997 PDK users that currently have buttons from Porsche. Please pm us for more details.

We will include some photos below =) Silver and black are both available.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:41 PM
J.Seven is infamous around these parts
I installed mine four days ago, and OMG, what a difference on feel. I never had any problems with buttons, and even got use to it from day one without any problem at all. Always liked the steering wheel design and shape, but never apreciate the way it worked, mainly for the fact you had pull/push to play with gears. The paddles are so much better, I would never go back again. Before the paddles I would drive 50% auto mode and 50 % manual mode, now itīs 100% manual. The steering wheel itself looks better too. I lost the multifunction option, but still no regrets at all.

For those who have some doubts on doing this mode (like I had), donīt hesitate, you wont regret, believe me.

Last edited by J.Seven; 05-10-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Rodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really nice
^ It does look sweet. However, I'll stick with the buttons.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by J.Seven
I installed mine four days ago, and OMG, what a difference on feel. I never had any problems with buttons, and even got use to it from day one without any problem at all. Always liked the steering wheel design and shape, but never apreciate the way it worked, mainly for the fact you had pull/push to play with gears. The paddles are so much better, I would never go back again. Before the paddles I would drive 50% auto mode and 50 % manual mode, now itīs 100% manual. The steering wheel itself looks better too. I lost the multifunction option, but still no regrets at all.

For those who have some doubts on doing this mode (like I had), donīt hesitate, you wont regret, believe me.
+1.
When I started this Post I was very enthusiastic about the change and wanted to share it. I do however absolutely respect choice and anyone who loves their buttons.....(I did too)

What is interesting is that when someone switches over and writes about you can feel their enthusiasm .

I wonder has anyone switched over (I don't mean drove someone else's BMW etc ) and not really been happy with the change.

Funny your comments about not using the auto mode .....as I am also now 100% manual.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:49 PM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
its weird..im great at using a 6spd, but with PDK in auto mode i forget to change gears sometimes. different mindset

Old 05-18-2010, 12:54 AM
berty987 is infamous around these parts
I've driven a car with manual, tip, PDK and PDK with paddles. Of the three auto boxes the PDK with paddles was the most intuitive and fun to drive. Though the PDK may flatter a less than ideal driving technique by allowing them to shift mid corner , I still consider the option to shift using the sequential gear lever an added bonus. The optional sport chrono plus on PDK cars is probably a better option for those tracking their cars that may feel the gear seletion requires adjustment mid corner , as it allows the gears to be held longer and rev limiter increased. As a result it should be possible to selct a suitable gear before the corner and still have sufficient revs in hand to accelerate after the apex. On more than 180 degrees lock I couldn't imagine a higher gear than 2nd is possible anyway.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PDK PADDLES a must!!