997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PDK PADDLES a must!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 05:26 AM
Howie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jj123van
I find the PDK's button are far better to use for day to day driving. At first, it took couple of weeks to adapt from the paddles from M6's SMG to the PDK's button.

I admit the paddles could be more fun, as you get the "bam" factor when you slap it With the buttons.... well.... they are buttons. I guess it's the typical German design, unexciting, but extremely functional.

Also, as the DD, there are many occasions where our second hands might be occupied ( i know i know, we should concentrate on driving, but it's sometimes unavoidable to take a phone call, make a phone call, or have a sip of coffee ).
You forget another practical use for the 'free' hand... Mammary support!

*ahem* so yeah, I have been thinking about the paddles for a long time too. I noticed that I have abandoned the use of the buttons, preferring to use the shifter. (I wish they made the up-shifting pull-back instead of push-forward). Even after 6 months it still doesn't feel 'natural' to me. I have owned paddle shifter cars before and loved it.

I agree with people who say that you shouldn't be shifting mid-corner. I have never found myself wanting to down shift during a corner unless I had forgotten to do so beforehand.

I liked the feel of the shifter paddles on the C63 AMG. Nice chunky aluminium alloy... Now if only I can find a way to hide the purchase from the missus... (I've been bad with the cheque account lately so I've been put on notice)

Old 05-18-2010, 07:31 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by adias
I also drive 3-9 of course. I do not pull down on the wheel to turn. I grip it on the outside as a drum brake. No issues.
Pull down to turn the wheel...NEVER push up to turn the wheel.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:50 AM
Philledan is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mdrums
Pull down to turn the wheel...NEVER push up to turn the wheel.
Thats is weird, at racing school with single seaters they thaught us to always push a steering wheel, never pull!

Old 07-27-2010, 04:29 AM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
Interesting (and opinionated) thread. I've driven both, and I chose to buy my 997 with paddles. For me they simply work better.

I wonder how many of you lads with buttons have actually driven a paddles car ...

Old 07-27-2010, 03:15 PM
stockid is infamous around these partsstockid is infamous around these parts
+3 I like the stock shift. Lotta times I shift with the stick cause it remindes me of using a clutch. Then when I'm two handing it I seem to like the way Porsche had it.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:52 PM
mander is infamous around these parts
Amusing read. I have driven paddles (non Porsche) and buttons (Porsche) and much prefer the buttons. I have never mistakenly shifted the buttons on my 09C4S. Like others I like the redundancy and not having to know where my wheel is. To each their own I guess.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:04 PM
zanwar is infamous around these partszanwar is infamous around these parts
I don't have buttons or paddles as I drive a 6-speed, but to an observer these comments read more like a disagreement over steering technique. From the shape of the steering wheel, I imagine Porsche expects us to keep a fixed grip at 9-3, use the thumb rests on the face of the wheel, and to steer one handed past 135 degrees or so. They must also have decided that down shifts are more time critical than up shifts, because they put that control under your index fingers.

Personally, I'd like column mounted paddles in my next car.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:37 AM
joafog is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Lockie
I just installed my new wheel with the Paddles.
I got to wonder why Porsche didn't do this from the beginning. It really completes the PDK Experience. The car now feels like a Performance finely tuned beast...(no more accidental upshifts !!) Any how when the first articles on the PDK came out I read them all and 25% of the article was complaining about the buttons on the PDK wheel. I thought "blah blah blah".......now after spending two days with them I 100% agree.
If you have PDK .....switch as soon as you can!!.......you will not regret it...It just now feels so right
Hallo

Is it only Plug-and play?
No modifications at all and it does not requires dealer activation after the installation?

BR

//Joacim

Old 12-11-2010, 12:25 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
But... with PDK you may trail brake and shift at the apex and for that buttons are priceless.
this goes against everything I have learned at PSDS, bertil roos and about 15 PCA and PDA DE's....

Old 12-11-2010, 12:46 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
this goes against everything I have learned at PSDS, bertil roos and about 15 PCA and PDA DE's....
That was in the pre-PDK age... besides track driving and twisty mountain driving are different.

My mountain driving yesterday reconfirmed (as if I needed that - NOT) that the std redundant buttons are essential for tight cornering. The paddles are not as flexible.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:18 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
That was in the pre-PDK age... besides track driving and twisty mountain driving are different.

My mountain driving yesterday reconfirmed (as if I needed that - NOT) that the std redundant buttons are essential for tight cornering. The paddles are not as flexible.

Are you saying with the PDK you won't unsettle the car by shifting at the apex?

Old 12-11-2010, 05:35 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Are you saying with the PDK you won't unsettle the car by shifting at the apex?
Precisely. Don't you guys know that?

Old 12-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Precisely. Don't you guys know that?

I didn't..i have never driven a PDK on the track; but even if I had I don't think I would do it.

So the dual trans lets you pick up bad speed driving habits...great way to increase driving skills.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:57 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
are the paddles not fixed

on the steering column? On my lambo they are fixed. No matter where the wheels is up is always on the right, down is on the left so there is no issue. I have not driven the paddles yet but I did have upshifting problems at an autox and if I was to get seriously into it I would change for sure. I wish Porsche would give people with the 09 car a break if they wanted to change to the paddles, because if it were cheaper i would do change very quickly

Old 12-11-2010, 10:12 PM
I didn't..i have never driven a PDK on the track; but even if I had I don't think I would do it.

So the dual trans lets you pick up bad speed driving habits...great way to increase driving skills.
I did not say track. On the track you break hard for corners and shift as you break. On public roads, with varying traffic, is a different question and the need to downshift at the apex is a practical reality which is perfectly fulfilled by PDK.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PDK PADDLES a must!!