997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PDK PADDLES a must!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Lockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant future
PDK PADDLES a must!!

I just installed my new wheel with the Paddles.
I got to wonder why Porsche didn't do this from the beginning. It really completes the PDK Experience. The car now feels like a Performance finely tuned beast...(no more accidental upshifts !!) Any how when the first articles on the PDK came out I read them all and 25% of the article was complaining about the buttons on the PDK wheel. I thought "blah blah blah".......now after spending two days with them I 100% agree.
If you have PDK .....switch as soon as you can!!.......you will not regret it...It just now feels so right

Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2010, 03:23 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Well done and good on ya! I couldn't agree more... it _needed_ the paddles like that from day one.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:40 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
If you drive twisty roads with tight turns, and turn the wheel 180deg or more... the paddles are reversed and it's confusing. Never confusing with dual, redundant, buttons. Choice is good! But paddles are not necessarily better.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:44 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Does the PDK perform better when you leave it in automatic or work the paddles? I drove an EVO and it automatically shifted way faster and more efficiently than I ever could.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Lockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by adias
If you drive twisty roads with tight turns, and turn the wheel 180deg or more... the paddles are reversed and it's confusing. Never confusing with dual, redundant, buttons. Choice is good! But paddles are not necessarily better.
I found the accidental upshifting on the track (esp in autocross ) a bigger issue...
the new wheel has a marker on the top like the GT3 so you know when your right side up. I am usually not shifting either in extreme turns.... even though the PDK does it beautifully at the apex of a turn....
You should if you can try a car with them....you might be surprised

Last edited by Lockie; 05-07-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by sizquik
Does the PDK perform better when you leave it in automatic or work the paddles? I drove an EVO and it automatically shifted way faster and more efficiently than I ever could.
If you have it in the "sport plus" mode the auto mode is amazing ...your always in the max power band and the instant shifts are intuitive to you're driving. It rev matches on the down shift . In any mode you can always override the auto with the paddles. Either way is now lots of fun.
The shifting with the paddles just feels natural ... like you're firing off a missile ...it feels tight and very very exact...

Old 05-07-2010, 05:11 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Great upgrade Lockie, now sign up for the ORP day that you were emailed about yesterday

Old 05-07-2010, 05:19 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Agree on the paddles !! I love mine and woild never go back to buttons . I prefer the Champion paddles since the OEM did not have the steering wheel multi function retained.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:46 PM
PersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of light
+1

as sick as the steering wheel looks, and as fun as it might be to have paddles, it does confuse you when your going hard on the twisties and your steering wheel is turned the other way 180degrees... I love the look, but I also love being able to shift up and down with 1 hand when im not in the canyons...

Old 05-07-2010, 06:50 PM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
+1
I like to be able to shift up and down with one hand (either)

Old 05-07-2010, 09:20 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Interesting! 2 guys agreeing with me on the Porsche redundant buttons.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:51 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PersianGodFatha

as sick as the steering wheel looks, and as fun as it might be to have paddles, it does confuse you when your going hard on the twisties and your steering wheel is turned the other way 180degrees... I love the look, but I also love being able to shift up and down with 1 hand when im not in the canyons...
At 180 degrees I use the gear lever too. It's whichever is convenient . To me the simplicity of 1 paddle for up and another for downshift feels more pleasant . Keep in mind that had I not liked the paddles I could have gone back to buttons -but I didn't .

Old 05-07-2010, 10:18 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Paddles are a must st the track and especially AutoX due to accidental upshifts with the palm of your hand by your thumb. At PSZdS Masters Class guys were having issues with this at the AutoX with acidental up and some downshifts. Some of the PSDS instructors commented this happens all the time and they hope toi get paddles on the next cars.

I swapped my PDK wheel for PDK Paddles and no more issues at the track. Some hear are saying you can't shift in a 180 degree turn....well in high performance driving you get your down shifting done before you turn into that tight of a turn.

I've driven PDK paddels at Sebring, Barber and Daytona with no issues shift with the paddles into or outof any turns.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by mdrums
... Some hear are saying you can't shift in a 180 degree turn....well in high performance driving you get your down shifting done before you turn into that tight of a turn. ...
But... with PDK you may trail brake and shift at the apex and for that buttons are priceless.

People bumping into buttons do not have proper steering wheel holding technique. I never accidentally shift (up or down) w/ the buttons. Any tool can be learned and used properly.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:43 AM

People bumping into buttons do not have proper steering wheel holding technique. .
I am not so sure about that . If you hold your wheel at 9 and 3 it is very very easy to accidentally while turning have your lower part of the thumb bump the button resulting in a upshift. I am sure many times you are in the sport plus auto mode letting the car handle the shifting and when you accidentally hit the buttons you're overriding the transmission and into a accidental upshift.

I would agree with you for daily driving....if you sipping a drink or on the phone the one handed up or down shifting might be more convenient.

I also agree with your earlier comment......it is nice now to have a choice....I won't be going back to my multifunction heated wheel....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PDK PADDLES a must!!