997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2 high speed stability...do I need new suspensions!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 05:27 AM
J.Seven is infamous around these parts
997.2 high speed stability...do I need new suspensions!!!

I´ve been in the 911 ownership experience for the last 12 years, and every time a new 911 comes out, the world press craves for the evolution in all areas, mainly the mythical light front feel stability, who was considered to have disappeared completely on the last 997.2.
Well I came from 996 to 997.2 and still find the front to light (only) at speeds over 200/220 Kph with some side winds. Under those speeds the front is rock solid, but with some side wind I have to make constant steering corrections in order to maintain the car in straight line. I have already made an alignment to check if the specs were ok, and haven´t felt any difference. For instance a M5 is more stable at those speeds(with side winds) and easier to keep it straight.

So my questions for you experts is this, what do I need to do in order to have a more planted front at high speeds? Damptronics? Or some Techart springs will be enought? Any advice

Note: I am only looking for front stability at high speeds.
I´m 200% satisfied with suspension setup for spirited mountain driving and everyday rides around town. My car has the Sport chrono.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:52 AM
Banned
Matt(in MA) is infamous around these parts
I would look to your tires. Unless there is a defect with your suspension or the rear spoiler is not depolying (I would have both validated), the only other significant area that could cause high speed instability are tires (IMHO).

Matt (in MA)

Old 05-09-2010, 08:06 AM
camhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond repute
Aside from putting a GT3 bumper on the front for the addition of the splitter, I think the only other option is really a few bags of sand in the front. I think what you may be feeling is more psychosomatic then anything however. Downforce only increases with speed, so if a car should feel planted at low speeds, it should feel more so at higher. I think what you're experiencing with the side wind is normal, as if you think about it, X force in horizontal direction at 10MPH is going to feel like a lot less then the same force at 100MPH, even tho in the end, they both deviate you the same amount in a given distance - the distance you're traveling in the given time is what is changing tho.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
For me, the 'lightness' of the front end of the car is one it's great joys. If you're coming from a front-engined car, then any mid-engine or rear-engine car will definitely have a lighter feel than the former. But it is simply different, not less accurate or less safe and there is nothing to be fixed.
I raced karts when I was a kid and the steering feel of my 997 reminds of those days of some very intense racing.
So I would say that if you can't get comfortable with the feel, then perhaps the 911 design is not for you.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:47 PM
T33
T33 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Verde
For me, the 'lightness' of the front end of the car is one it's great joys. If you're coming from a front-engined car, then any mid-engine or rear-engine car will definitely have a lighter feel than the former. But it is simply different, not less accurate or less safe and there is nothing to be fixed.
I raced karts when I was a kid and the steering feel of my 997 reminds of those days of some very intense racing.
So I would say that if you can't get comfortable with the feel, then perhaps the 911 design is not for you.
+1 That is the fun part of 911s.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:56 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
JSeven. The 997.2 is perfectly stable at high speed. If you have any doubt have your alignment checked, but I suspect it is OK. As you know, a 911 drives differently from a car with a heavy front-mounted engine. We kind of like that.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:45 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
A cross wind at high speed can jolt any car.
I have noticed that my Turbo stability improved greatly with suspension and aerokit .
997.2S only has suspension and there is a difference between the two cars .

As often shared the 997S carves into turns quite nicely and can handle acceleration and speed .. but not like the Turbo .. not even close .

If you like low level flying .. drive a modded 997.1tt or even a stock Pdk 997.2tt (keeping in mind taht suspension and aerokit will only make it better).

Old 05-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Sounds counter intuitive but try gripping the steering wheel looser rather than in a "death grip" at high speed. By over controlling it is easy to initiate a situation wherein the car is responding to your minute inputs and slight overcorrections. At higher speeds I will often go to my fingertips to avoid unwittingly amplifying front and rear end movement. The car will hold the line you want better. It will move around some. That is ok. Trust and relax. Btw: don't forget to add throttle input into your feedback loop. Lifting off when you might begin to feel uneasy will change the suspension load and alter your line. Best to keep throttle on in most situations

Last edited by Gpjli; 05-09-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:57 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
i'm pretty new to the 911 experience

and felt the front was very light at speeds over 130, but I just drove through it and I've gotten used to it. Go through corners was a little hairy at first until I started to push a bit harder and I realized it was just the car talking to me. I absolutely love the feel now.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:11 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gpjli
Sounds counter intuitive but try gripping the steering wheel looser rather than in a "death grip" at high speed. By over controlling it is easy to initiate a situation wherein the car is responding to your minute inputs and slight overcorrections. At higher speeds I will often go to my fingertips to avoid unwittingly amplifying front and rear end movement. The car will hold the line you want better. It will move around some. That is ok. Trust and relax.
Excellent advice.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:00 AM
type997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant future
I vote Aerokit for high speed driving.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:32 PM
J.Seven is infamous around these parts
I find funny that some of you are telling me how a 911 must feel and that is the way is supose too and blá blá blá .
For those, please, read my post again, I can only supose you didn´t read correctly. Thanks in advance

Old 05-10-2010, 01:37 PM
lee7758 is infamous around these parts
I think a coil over is a MUST! Cause I have just order a set for my C4S!!! Hehee!!

Old 05-10-2010, 04:34 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by J.Seven
I find funny that some of you are telling me how a 911 must feel and that is the way is supose too and blá blá blá .
For those, please, read my post again, I can only supose you didn´t read correctly. Thanks in advance
I'm not sure what you find unresponsive about the answers, JSeven. Like the others, I would say you are unrealistic to expect a Carrera to feel the same as an M5 at autobahn-only speeds. My 997.2 certainly has my full attention when I approach the redline in fourth, and especially with a gusty side wind. I just don't find it surprising.

The Aerokit is the best suggestion I read and I would add a further one: don't install any non-Porsche body kits without some very surprising reports of their testing. Testing for aerodynamics in the speeds above 200 kph is expensive and that's the region where you're looking to improve stability, not just the appearance of your car. An independent may well have access to the wind tunnel and track testing facilities this requires, but the price would be much higher than a kit done for cosmetic goals. Absent evidence of that research, I'd assume you're buying good looks, not high-speed stability when you buy an aftermarket kit.

I would also add that I doubt the net downforce increases with speed on these cars. It certainly does not feel that way. I greatly suspect the aero aids Porsche adds are intended to counterbalance the inherent lift of the body form and control its balance front to rear. That is, they reduce the net lift to something tolerable at any reasonable road speed, even when 'reasonable' takes into account the places where 200 kph plus is permitted, like Germany.

These are not race cars as delivered and the techniques used to create a net positive downforce on a race car do not lend themselves to road cars. They don't even work especially well on race cars when the track being used is anything but completely smooth in surface.

Incidentally, by "these cars" I meant the Carrera S. I haven't driven either one, but it is my impression that the GT3 and GT2 are essentially race cars in potentia and little is needed to make that last step if you don't mind giving up road-legal operation.

Whether my intuition is right doesn't matter to the advice. Consider whether your tires are the best choice for those speeds and install the aerokit.

Gary

Last edited by simsgw; 05-10-2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Misleading typo
Old 05-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by lee7758
I think a coil over is a MUST! Cause I have just order a set for my C4S!!! Hehee!!
Please explain how that improves side winds.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 high speed stability...do I need new suspensions!!!