997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

tire trailer hitch mounts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 09:36 AM
camhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond repute
Nice to see you too. Spring is always a busy part of the year for me, been living under a rock recently.

The ONLY hitch I've ever seen put onto a car was done by cutting a hole through the license plate and bumper in the back and screwing in a tow hook in. Car was a GT3RS, and whether or not this was something original to the car or something the owner added, I'm not sure. As was posted in the above thread tho, I would be weary about putting a trailer hitch on these cars. Best bet may be to have someone follow you in a car with all the tires in there. I'd imagine you could possibly fit two tires in the cabin of your car, and strap two on the roof with a roof rack, but I'd have to try to be sure.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:53 PM
cbzzoom is infamous around these parts
I'd love a trailer hitch on my car. I talked to Will of Willwood Systems about it a bit. He does have a kit for the 997, but it's really not designed for much load. He says the problem is the newer car bumpers are not attached rigidly to the frame (or something), so it can't handle a vertical load like that. eg. it would have no problem pulling a lot of weight, but the vertical weight of the tongue could be a problem. With a properly balanced trailer this should be no issue, as the weight of will be over the trailer tires.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:28 PM
pcs
pcs has a spectacular aura aboutpcs has a spectacular aura about
Remember - Minimum 10% of the total weight on the tongue to maintain control.