997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

tire trailer hitch mounts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 08:29 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
tire trailer hitch mounts

OK, driving hoosiers on a street is bad. It is obvious.
Buying full size trailer for a car is not an option. Cutting bumper in 9planet style is an option but is not that attractive.

Do we have any known solution how to attach hitch for a very light tire trailer to transport tires to the track? My auto-x site is 30miles drive so for now I simply drive there on hoosiers but I can see it takes its toll and it is kinda sux but there is no other real option... rather than going with kumhos v710 which should be a bit more durable but I do like those hoosiers better. have anyone done those trailer hitch mounts on a 997 car?

Old 05-10-2010, 08:39 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
OK, driving hoosiers on a street is bad. It is obvious.
Buying full size trailer for a car is not an option. Cutting bumper in 9planet style is an option but is not that attractive.

Do we have any known solution how to attach hitch for a very light tire trailer to transport tires to the track? My auto-x site is 30miles drive so for now I simply drive there on hoosiers but I can see it takes its toll and it is kinda sux but there is no other real option... rather than going with kumhos v710 which should be a bit more durable but I do like those hoosiers better. have anyone done those trailer hitch mounts on a 997 car?
You could add a roof mount system and tie the extra wheels to a rack.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:22 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan
You could add a roof mount system and tie the extra wheels to a rack.
that would be quite a curcus number

I do not think one can fit more than 1 wheel with tire inside of 997. and I seriously doubt it is even possible to fit 3 wheels on a roof mount. from all angles little tire trailer is a best option but where and how to put that hitch?

Old 05-10-2010, 10:25 AM
pcs
pcs has a spectacular aura aboutpcs has a spectacular aura about
I have seen a system that uses a factory rack and a plywood platform to carry 4 tires on top of a 996...

Old 05-10-2010, 11:04 AM
so, no one did a hitch on 997 car? that`s a pity.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:09 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Old 05-10-2010, 11:29 AM
I found interesting (to some degree) idea there - 'a tow ball welded onto the tow hook'.

It is essentially right under rear license plate. Is it required legally to have stop lights on those light trailers? I know my neighbor uses one to tow his small boat and it has no lights at all, just a frame.

I am really after smallest simplest solution here.

Idea that toe hook mount may 'brake off' from 200lbs of weight in a light trailer is ridiculous - that person who wrote that obviously never towed anything in his life.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:33 AM
I found interesting (to some degree) idea there - 'a tow ball welded onto the tow hook'.

It is essentially right under rear license plate. Is it required legally to have stop lights on those light trailers? I know my neighbor uses one to tow his small boat and it has no lights at all, just a frame.

I am really after smallest simplest solution here.

Idea that toe hook mount may 'brake off' from 200lbs of weight in a light trailer is ridiculous - that person who wrote that obviously never towed anything in his life.
I would check your local requirements, however I would imagine that if your lights are visible on your car, then things should be fine. Personally I much prefer my 18' trailer, and Touareg, but understand that you don't want to go down the road.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:40 AM
I would check your local requirements, however I would imagine that if your lights are visible on your car, then things should be fine. Personally I much prefer my 18' trailer, and Touareg, but understand that you don't want to go down the road.
I would not mind ths road but it will require most major upgrade - a new house with 4 car garage.

toe hook with a hitch ball on it looks to be simpler solution. just curious now where could I get one...

Old 05-10-2010, 11:48 AM
I would not mind ths road but it will require most major upgrade - a new house with 4 car garage.

toe hook with a hitch ball on it looks to be simpler solution. just curious now where could I get one...
I only have a 2 car garage, and a storage site a few miles away for the trailer, although a three car garage will be very nice.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:17 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Go for the roof rack or trailer hitch. The 911 is completely capable.

I use the yakima crossbars, double Yakima carrier and can easily put 4 tires up top.

For the trailer hitch, try Will at

http://www.Willwoodsystem.com

Ignore that Will has not updated his website to reflect current compatibilities. Will assured me he has a kit for my 997.2 S

Last edited by KK Moto; 05-10-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:23 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Saw this on You tube(not a Porsche)........BUT very unique and would require a bit of work BUT neat non-the-less.
Would require custom roof rack and modified trailer but......
AND no I am not posting this to be a jack---..!
Would be a neat idea and being the tires are LIGHT...it wouldn't need a big/heavy trailer(or at least the tongue weight).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPO4TafcKEA

Old 05-11-2010, 08:33 AM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by justatoy
Saw this on You tube(not a Porsche)........BUT very unique and would require a bit of work BUT neat non-the-less.
Would require custom roof rack and modified trailer but......
AND no I am not posting this to be a jack---..!
Would be a neat idea and being the tires are LIGHT...it wouldn't need a big/heavy trailer(or at least the tongue weight).
This is awesome! Someone has to do a PShop mockup.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:40 AM
camhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond repute
Have you looked into those U-Haul style trailers? It's essentially a platform you drive your car onto and attach it to a hitch. It isn't enclosed or anything like that, just a platform with ramps and a hitch really. If you're already planning on buying a trailer for the tires, this can't be too much more, it would save the stress on the car, the miles you'd put on it, and give you someplace to stash tires, etc.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by camhabib
Have you looked into those U-Haul style trailers? It's essentially a platform you drive your car onto and attach it to a hitch. It isn't enclosed or anything like that, just a platform with ramps and a hitch really. If you're already planning on buying a trailer for the tires, this can't be too much more, it would save the stress on the car, the miles you'd put on it, and give you someplace to stash tires, etc.

Nice to see you back man, where were you hiding?

Nope. See, first of all I despise trucks/SUVs and to tow entire 997 car I need something bigger than an old Lexus sedan. Plus I do not really have to tow my 997 - all I need is something _cheap_ and light just to get rims with me so hoosiers would not look like a shredded meat.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: tire trailer hitch mounts