997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

windshield tint?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 10:16 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Windshield tint with the targa glass would look amazing!

Old 05-11-2010, 01:46 PM
g.lu is infamous around these parts
I don't know about you guys but my tint isn't perfect. It's just not as smooth (that's the best adjective I can think of) as glass. For side/rear windows, it's ok but I don't like it on the WS. At night, it isn't the % reduction in light, it's that things are less crisp and less well defined, esp on moving objects. Anyway, I wouldn't do it again.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:18 PM
FB123 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
My supra had DOUBLE-layered 5% all around and 5% on windshield. Looked incredible. It was bit tough to see out the front but only in dark alleys. My S4 was 5% around and metal film on the windshield that was perfect. A reflective property that made it seem untinted from far away and made especially for windshields looking out was like it wasnt even tinted. No problems driving at all. Even at night.
Menace to society...

Old 05-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by crhait
So, getting the glass tinted this week. Question is… do the windshield and top (Targa) or not?
Comments please.

Thanks
Ron.
I'm not a fan of tinted windows on 911s. I personally think it looks funny. But I recently had all the windows (including the windshield) on my 08 997S tinted. My tint guy (that has done about four of my cars and both of my houses) recommended a new (at least to me) prouduct by Llumar called AIR Blue. It blocks 99.9% of UV, 43% heat, and 13% glare but it's not dark at all. In fact, you almost can't see that it's on the glass.

I literally just had it installed this Sat. so I've not even rolled the windows down yet but so far I really like it. There's a clear difference in inside temp's and I have to believe it's going to better protect my expensive full leather interior.

It might be just the trick for you on your Targa to keep the temp's down, protect your skin and your interior and allow you the excellent visibility that 911s afford.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:00 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FB123
Menace to society...
Sometimes....

Old 05-11-2010, 04:15 PM
akacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to behold
I have been told that Huperoptik is the best tint out there. I regret not getting it for my E350.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
My supra had DOUBLE-layered 5% all around and 5% on windshield. Looked incredible. It was bit tough to see out the front but only in dark alleys. My S4 was 5% around and metal film on the windshield that was perfect. A reflective property that made it seem untinted from far away and made especially for windshields looking out was like it wasnt even tinted. No problems driving at all. Even at night.
Wore your Oakleys with the dark tint too right ?

Old 05-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Former Vendor
Dtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by akacaj
I have been told that Huperoptik is the best tint out there. I regret not getting it for my E350.
It was the best, until 3M came out with the Crystalline tint. Stops heat like no other film.

Matt

Old 05-11-2010, 07:13 PM
crhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura about
the shop i have deceided to use in the SF bay area is "Premier" they do alot of high end cars...Porsche, Mercedes Benz, etc. The product is called diamond edge or somthing like that. they say it's the best. but who knows, there is probaly more than 1 thats "the best" depends who you talk to. I looked at a few cars there last week...a CLK63 with 63% all the way around including the windshield, and it looked great, like factory style glass no imperfections. Have an appt for this thurs. been holding off for a couple of years because I want it done right. this car is a long time keeper!

Old 05-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by crhait
the shop i have deceided to use in the SF bay area is "Premier" they do alot of high end cars...Porsche, Mercedes Benz, etc. The product is called diamond edge or somthing like that. they say it's the best. but who knows, there is probaly more than 1 thats "the best" depends who you talk to. I looked at a few cars there last week...a CLK63 with 63% all the way around including the windshield, and it looked great, like factory style glass no imperfections. Have an appt for this thurs. been holding off for a couple of years because I want it done right. this car is a long time keeper!
Premier does fantastic clear bra work so I'd wager that they're going to do an excellent job with the tint too.

There are a few examples of P card with their diamond edge tint here and on the "other" board.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Josh79
Since in most states, tint on the windshield is not allowed. You may check the current tint law in your area to help you decide for the allowed tint %, it is available at http://www.TintBuyer.com. I also consulted with them before for my window tinting needs and they have provided me helpful information about tints such as it types, quotations and laws involved in every state and helped me locate the best professional window tint installer near my area.
It is NOT allowed in California. Moreover, tinting the front and passenger side windows is also not allowed in California.

However... knock on wood... so long as you do the lightest tint available you usually don't have a problem.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:02 PM
JimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the rough
I have all of my windows done. A year ago, I decided to get the windshield tinted and was afraid of night time driving issues. However, I did it anyway bc of the heat in the summer. I loved it and have done this to all of my cars. 70% on all of my windshields and I cannot tell even at night that there's anything there. btw, I had premier do my tints with their new diamond ir. Excellent product imo.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:00 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by akacaj
Huperoptik is really good - have had the 35% on two P-cars. Difficult to install though so make sure you get a good tint shop. It's a thick material and holds the water a lot longer than most so the bubbles don't disappear for 3-4 weeks...but they do go away. I currently have Formula One Pinnacle on an M5 and it also is a very good product. Finding the right tint shop is as improtant as finding the right material.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:59 AM
crhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura about
today is the day!

thank you all for your comments...going to have it done today.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by Dadio
Wore your Oakleys with the dark tint too right ?
Shades not needed. Unless targa top was off in Supra.