997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

windshield tint?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:29 PM
crhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura about
windshield tint?

So, getting the glass tinted this week. Question is… do the windshield and top (Targa) or not?
Comments please.

Thanks
Ron.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
I say don't do either. I have my windshield tinted 75% and if I could do it all over again I wouldn't have done it at all.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:37 PM
crhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Misanors4
I say don't do either. I have my windshield tinted 75% and if I could do it all over again I wouldn't have done it at all.
can I ask why not?

Old 05-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
Well one its illegal where I live. Luckily I don't drive the car enough to get any tickets for the tint (knock on wood) and two and probably the most important is it really makes things less visible at night. It's a real PITA sometimes to tell you the truth. Sure it looks cool, but I would prefer the full visibility. It does help with blocking the sun during the day though.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by Misanors4
Well one its illegal where I live. Luckily I don't drive the car enough to get any tickets for the tint (knock on wood) and two and probably the most important is it really makes things less visible at night. It's a real PITA sometimes to tell you the truth. Sure it looks cool, but I would prefer the full visibility. It does help with blocking the sun during the day though.
I was wondering about the visibility, and yours is very light tint.
Thanks for the comments.
enjoy!

Old 05-10-2010, 08:59 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
If you are doing the WS for looks, no; for keeping the heat out and dash protection the 3M clear Crystalline ( with or without small eyebrow ) does a hell of a job.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by tejoe
If you are doing the WS for looks, no; for keeping the heat out and dash protection the 3M clear Crystalline ( with or without small eyebrow ) does a hell of a job.
heat and interior protection...I'm guessing "3M Crystalline" is clear???
"eyebrow" please explain

thanks

Old 05-11-2010, 12:02 AM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by crhait
"eyebrow" please explain

thanks
I'm guessing he means a darker strip of tint just across the top 6? inches of the windshield.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:24 AM
essayons is infamous around these parts
full windshield tint is such a bad idea. I have the top six inches of the windshield tinted, and I like it. Took me a little getting used to, though.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:35 AM
PersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of light
I have my winsheild on the S63 done 50% and had 35% on my E55, its not that bad, I never had a problem with it, you dont get blinded by on coming traffic head lights, you dont get blinded by the sun, the cars always cool inside, and the interior stays looking sharp... my only complaint is, when you drive a car without windshield tint, you cant take the light because your so use to the light being blocked out

Old 05-11-2010, 05:17 AM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
I decided to only tint the side windows in my cab. I did not tint the rear or front

Old 05-11-2010, 05:36 AM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by crhait
"eyebrow" please explain

thanks
Yes, "clear" (no color) is what I meant when I wrote 'clear' ; it still blocks 99% of the UV and a lot of the heat from the sun. "Eyebrow" is a darker band at the top of the WS that you can have down a few inches - how far is your choice. Normally no extra charge for this and the installer will recommend bringing it to the top of your mirror mount as it makes his job easier. It cost me a negotiated $85.00 when I had it done in conjunction with my 70% light transmission sides and rear.

It's a multi layer film; you can use suction cup attachments such as a Garmin after it has fully set up, but not "permanent" stickers such as a school or work parking pass. ( For these you can cut a piece of Saran wrap the sticker size and put it on the sticker then press to the WS; it then peels off easily like an oil change reminder. ) Good luck

Last edited by tejoe; 05-11-2010 at 05:41 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:13 AM
thanks for the responses so far...still thinking.

right now I'm for just for doing the back and sides, looking at 63% or 73%. thinking that 73% might be to light, unless I do all the way around and targa top then 73 might be ok.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by PersianGodFatha
I have my winsheild on the S63 done 50% and had 35% on my E55, its not that bad, I never had a problem with it, you dont get blinded by on coming traffic head lights, you dont get blinded by the sun, the cars always cool inside, and the interior stays looking sharp... my only complaint is, when you drive a car without windshield tint, you cant take the light because your so use to the light being blocked out

You had 35% on your windshield?!?!? Jeez, my side and rear windows are 35% and its to dark for me. I couldn't imagine trying to see out of the front at night.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:14 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
My supra had DOUBLE-layered 5% all around and 5% on windshield. Looked incredible. It was bit tough to see out the front but only in dark alleys. My S4 was 5% around and metal film on the windshield that was perfect. A reflective property that made it seem untinted from far away and made especially for windshields looking out was like it wasnt even tinted. No problems driving at all. Even at night.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: windshield tint?