997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Makkassar wood interior parts opinion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 07:43 PM
MNC4S is infamous around these partsMNC4S is infamous around these parts
Had a 2003 996 with the dark wood. Two pieces cracked (repeatedly). I thought it looked fake - like plastic - because it was such high gloss. I prefer leather or exterior color trim bits.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:50 PM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
replaced under warranty?

Old 05-12-2010, 08:01 PM
MNC4S is infamous around these partsMNC4S is infamous around these parts
yes. The most noticeable was the dash trim strip on the passenger side. It kept cracking in the middle. As I live 75 miles from the closest dealer, after the second crack in 9 months (?cab flexing over bumpy roads in MN winter??) I just kept pushing it back in when it popped out and otherwise ignored it. It was a lease and I would be returning it before the warranty expired.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Forujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to all
I have that wood trim-red cab/sand interior. I like the looks but I really dislike the steering wheel-that dark wood gets so hot when the car is parked with the sun beating down thru the windshield-I know I can toss a towel over it, but I often forget. I'd be happier with a stock steering wheel. james

Old 05-12-2010, 08:40 PM
My car is garaged all day and night except trips to restaurants and the store etc.....

Old 05-12-2010, 10:35 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Not a fan of the wood interior trim pieces. There was a white 997S for sale awhile back on these boards with the Makkassar wood option that I'm not sure ever sold. Most of the comments on the car was that the wood turned them off on buying it.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:26 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by NorthVan
I saw some pictures of a car that was for sale, and IMO it looked horrible. As Dave said, doesn't suit the car. Probably look good in an old Jag or a nice sail boat.
+2
wood just don't look right in a sport car...you're better off with CF, brushed aluminum, or paint it..Wood is more suitable for luxury sedan...IMO

Old 05-13-2010, 10:50 AM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by P997S
I am not getting multi function - I have always thought that a waste..The controls are soo close already! Just my opinion
When you order the kit from Suncoast, I found out that it does come with a multi function wheel along with the hand brake and shifter ****. It's around $1500 if I remember correctly.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:57 AM
i ordered from bert smith - better price!
i also ordered the center console
should get it next week - ill post before and after for everyone - it sounds like most of you dont like it but o well - its for me!!!

Old 05-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Swoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really nice
I had $5k worth of makassar in my '06 (from factory)Gt silver over sea blue C2S......Never heard anyone say they didn't think is was beautiful. I did not have the center console though which IMO is a bit to large of a piece. Someone posted above about an '03 with the dark wood being glossy etc....Most definately not the same as Makassar.....OP as you say "it's for you" so get it and enjoy it! I also have never been one to buy anything for the "next" owner.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:27 PM
+1
who cares about the next owner

Old 05-13-2010, 08:50 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Rob this is such a personal taste type of thing. The Porsche wood parts I've seen are extreme high quality. Your wheels are very sporty (race looking), do you feel wood interior would go well? If so go for it!
Personally speaking I am more into the sporty part of the car. If I wanted to dress up the interior I would do leather or alcantera with some body color painted parts.

If you are bored on Sunday I am over at Sebring. Come over and check it out if you want. PBOC is racing and doing a DE.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Banned
Edgy01 is infamous around these parts
It is a great finish, and works well for my car. Otherwise the interior would be just a little too plain, even with the natural brown leather.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:37 AM
i bought the 997.2 s cab because i did not want a hard core sports car - if i did i would have bought a gt3...i like some creature comforts in my sports car like NAV, Vent seats, bluetooth and wood..i respect all your opinions - thats why i made this post..so thanks everyone - i cant wait for install!

Old 05-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Weasel is just really niceWeasel is just really niceWeasel is just really niceWeasel is just really niceWeasel is just really nice
Originally Posted by P997S
i bought the 997.2 s cab because i did not want a hard core sports car - if i did i would have bought a gt3...i like some creature comforts in my sports car like NAV, Vent seats, bluetooth and wood..i respect all your opinions - thats why i made this post..so thanks everyone - i cant wait for install!
I have Makassar in a cab with sand beige/blk two-tone interior. I think that the "black" and dark brown tones of the wood compliment the two-tone interior especially well. I have a multifunct steering wheel in blk but no wood there. The wood -- which is on the e-brake handle, shift ****, and a few places on the dash -- has a beautiful low gloss finish. I don't think anyone could mistake it for plastic. I like that it's on shift **** since that part is touched so often -- little or no clean up necessary. After four years, nearly 30K miles, and tens of thousands of touches, it still looks brand spankin' new. Leather and alcantara shift ***** certainly wouldn't.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Makkassar wood interior parts opinion