997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

hit from the rear..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 10:57 AM
MMopt is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Sorry to see this happen to you. I had my first 997 hit (rear ended by a garbage truck), so I know how you feel.

As Dan said, they can fix it up with out any sign of the damage. If the rear fender needs replacing it is about 40 hours to re+re on a coupe.
Any pictures of this crash? The reason I ask is I'm thinking of picking up a 997 for our second car (I work from home, first car is a XC90 V8 R-Design). While I wouldn't drive this often, the thought of having my 2 kids (2, 4) in the back seats in a rear end crash is a major concern. As you can tell from my first choice of car safety is a priority but I've always dreamed of 911. I could also pick up a cheaper 3rd car but as it is I would rarely drive the 997 and I wouldn't like having a 3rd car in the driveway.

As a side story, when I was young (9) a Porsche hit our Volvo wagon after coming around a corner on our side of the road. My mother swerved and the 911 hit our side. The 911 was beyond totaled and he was lucky to be alive. We drove our car home with red paint striped down the side of the car. "That will buff right out" was almost true that day. Needless to say, we'll nearly always have a MB or Volvo as our main car.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:31 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Hope that you have good luck with your insurance adjuster since from your pictures it appears that the chevy stopped and you continued forward resulting in the damage to the rear; if you had been able to stop and he had continued moving the damage would have extended towards your front wheel.

Regardless, over the years many people on this forum write that ANY body damage to a P-car, even if the repeir is perfect, drops its' resale value by 10-20 %. Keep this in mind if the adjudication is in your favor.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:42 PM
rana911 is infamous around these parts
I feel your pain Brother. At least no one got hurt. Accept for your baby.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:13 PM
winkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by MMopt
Any pictures of this crash? The reason I ask is I'm thinking of picking up a 997 for our second car (I work from home, first car is a XC90 V8 R-Design). While I wouldn't drive this often, the thought of having my 2 kids (2, 4) in the back seats in a rear end crash is a major concern. As you can tell from my first choice of car safety is a priority but I've always dreamed of 911. I could also pick up a cheaper 3rd car but as it is I would rarely drive the 997 and I wouldn't like having a 3rd car in the driveway.
911's are quite safe.
They are designed to handle crashes at Autobahn speeds, so in some ways, they are safer than most American ones.

For example, all 3 folks here walked away unscathed after a more than 150 mph crash. Obviously this includes the rear seat passengers. You can see how well the passenger compartment held together while the rest of the car took the force of the crash.

http://www.marax.at/funpix/porsche_mega_crash.html

Old 05-15-2010, 11:25 PM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
I too feel your pain.My wife just had a minor accident in her 2010 Lexus RX350. Got it back from dealer in 19 days-good as new..perfect.

Your accident is minor cosmetic........no chassis, engine or major bodywork. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand and would also be freaked out, but you will have your baby back soon enough and it will be undetectable and good as new.................................

Old 05-16-2010, 07:51 PM
big_willy is infamous around these parts
Feel your pain - I've been through it too... Have fun in Vegas

Old 05-17-2010, 10:31 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
wow, brutal. There are some real idiot drivers out there. If I got rear-ended I would hate to see what I would do to the poor b*astard.

Here in Cincinnati the traffic on the highways seems to be growing at an exponential rate. On the way to work in the AM I take it easy. The side roads are pretty awful most of the time. Drivers none too smart.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:05 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
thanks everyone !

had a blast in Vegas (Palazzo) and now waiting for the insurance adjuster/inspector to come out and look at the damages today.

cant post pics from vegas because.. u know 'what happens in vegas..'

and picture can be so talkative..

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Good luck with this mess. Just remember that body shops today can do a first rate job on such a repair. Suggest you find someone who really knows how to shrink metal so that the rear fender can be retained and not replaced. Color matching has gotten better over the years.

Now to find out if a video camera exists near that intersection!

D
not familiar with 'shrinking metal'.. but i will be sure to ask about it. thx

Last edited by crazycarlitos; 05-17-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:29 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by djlod
Wow, that's terrible.
What a jackass.
Try Marco's auto body.
They have several locations in LA.
I've had a few cars repaired by Marcos, they do great work.
thx. thats where i was gonna take it since they do top-notch work and there doesnt seem to be any mechanical or structural damage to the car..

drove it to/from vegas and she drove like a champ!

Originally Posted by REBor8
Sorry to read of your experience. Take it to Stuttgart International in Ft. Lauderdale. All they deal with is P-cars and do first-class work.
uhh.. seriously?

Old 05-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by MkC2
damn...that sucks big time...sorry to see that happens to your baby...I would vent at him with a baseball bat to the head..or better yet, smack that piece of crap a few times and call it even..
Originally Posted by xXxGhotimanxXx
OMG. My worst nightmare. So sorry, this really sucks. WTF is wrong with people...in such a damn hurry all the time. Did that a-hole get where he was going quick enough after the accident? I bet not. Did he/she/it learn anything, probably not. Yeah, I would have had a hard time not giving them a free ride to the hospital on their back.

J
Originally Posted by E55AMG
That sucks. Had a similar experience this week but fortunately barely a nick. Was on the Hutch. parkway in westchester this week in rush hour, bumper to bumper traffic and light rain.

i'm in the left lane and I notice some a-hole, mid 20's in a mitsu. with big wing in the right lane honking and tailgating some guy in front of him. he was speeding up, slowing down when finally he passes him on the right shoulder and shoots right in front of him. Only to be immediately stuck right behind someone else.

I laugh and say "what an ***". 2 minutes later he hops behind me. Sure enough he starts riding my *** and the guy in front of me stops. I stop and he hits me.

I literally flew out of my car and was at his window screaming at him almost immediately. Looking back probably not the smartest thing but what can you do? When I got to his car his window was already open. As I screamed "get the F**K out of the car, i'm going to kill you right here" he started to close his window As this is going on the first guy he cut off passed by and started to curse him out as he drove by.

the guy then tries to explain that the guy he cut off was slowing him down and "you stopped". I'm like WTF, of course I stopped. you're in bumper to bumper to traffic.

I looked at my car and there is only the slightest nick on the right bumperette. Very lucky.
Originally Posted by RaminGTI20
same thing happened to me last week...merging onto a main road...and the idiots from behind never check to see if the car in front has fully gone...and WHAM! I feel your pain man, its 75 degrees here and the car is waiting in the shop until parts come in on Monday Luckily the guy was super nice and no matter how much he got yelled at, he was still really nice so its hard to stay mad :-/
Originally Posted by chance6
wow, brutal. There are some real idiot drivers out there. If I got rear-ended I would hate to see what I would do to the poor b*astard.

Here in Cincinnati the traffic on the highways seems to be growing at an exponential rate. On the way to work in the AM I take it easy. The side roads are pretty awful most of the time. Drivers none too smart.
although my first reaction was to kick his head in.. there was nothing i can do AFTER the accident happened.

things that bother me-

1. my car's resale value took a dump.. the accident will be on the carfax even if the body work is re-done perfectly..

2- A-holes like this guy gets away with maliciously ramming their car into another car without even a slap to the wrist.

3- i will be without my baby for 3-4 weeks

Old 05-17-2010, 05:56 PM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
2- A-holes like this guy gets away with maliciously ramming their car into another car without even a slap to the wrist.
So, in hindsight, do think they did it on purpose? If so, is there any legal maneuvering that can be done...
1. my car's resale value took a dump.. the accident will be on the carfax even if the body work is re-done perfectly..

J

Old 05-17-2010, 07:23 PM
zanwar is infamous around these partszanwar is infamous around these parts
When you pick up the car, be sure to take a flashlight and check every inch of the new paint for bubbles.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:58 PM
Sven has a spectacular aura aboutSven has a spectacular aura about
Getting rear-ended in my 997S has been an abiding concern since I drive daily in L.A. traffic. In particular, I had the fact that it is so hard to avoid that type of collision if you're stopped and there's a car ahead. I read this thread yesterday and share everyone's deep annoyance - to put it mildly - at inattentive drivers. This morning I looked in my rear view mirror and noticed the Toyota behind me had pulled up awfully close. I could see the driver was texting. As I pulled to the next light I could see that she was looking up only occasionally, even while moving. Like 80% of the time she was looking down, not at the road! It dawned on me how to respond: before reaching the next light, while she was looking down, I hit my horn. She slowed immediately and backed off, probably unable to figure out who had honked, or why. It looked like she put her device away, hopefully realizing that she hadn't a clue what was going on around her.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:10 PM
nine11 is infamous around these parts
It will depend on the depth of the dent but avoid having it bogged up. Replacing the skin involves cut and re-spot welding (TIG/MIG?) the skin on. The panel is uber expensive. Watch for the joint spacings after the panel is replaced. It's an annoyance but damage to the Pcar is liberating. After getting it back, you can be a bit more relaxed about using it.
My biggest annoyance is people deliberately riding my tail. I had a young guy in a new RX8 just touch my number plate, when he failed to stop in the wet. He had weaved and crossed three lanes of traffic to get up my tail, despite trying to let him through. This mentality is epidemic. Every time I take out the beast, I have a punter who thinks he can out drive me. Anyway, I tend to brake early then let off the brake before I really have to brake it sort of acts as a wake up call for those who don't realise the brakes work well in a Pcar.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Sven has a spectacular aura aboutSven has a spectacular aura about
Crazycarlitos: I've never tested this theory, but it would seem to apply here. In a third party claim, under basic tort law, you should be able to recover an amount sufficient to make you whole. If you have suffered an unrealized loss due to the loss of resale value of your car, and can back it up with an appraisal / affidavit from a qualified expert (i.e. Porsche dealer, reseller), you ought to be able to claim amount that on top of the cost of repair, loss of use / rental, etc. E.g., a statement that the resale value of a 1-accident car is $5,000 less than one that is accident free.

The other guy's insurance adjuster probably will refuse this demand, but I think it is sustainable, e.g., in small claims, and the insurance company would have to indemnify the jerk/insured if you win (i.e. pay you). Anyone aware of a reason why this would not work?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: hit from the rear..