997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Car cannot get on the driveway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:03 PM
dchou1107 is infamous around these parts
Car cannot get on the driveway

Have a huge problem. My car cannot get on my driveway into the garage. Issue is that my city does not allow overnight street parking. My car is about 4 inches off the ground currently and one option might be the cargraphic front lift kit since I have the pss9 coilovers but i am not sure that will be enough. What is everyone else doing to get their car in the driveway?

Old 05-17-2010, 09:13 PM
spudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the rough
go in as steep of an angle as possible. then turn the wheel opposite way and allow the tires to climb up the curb. for example, approacht he curb an an incline say coming in from the left side to right. when the bumper is about to scrape turn the wheel all the way counterclockwise. u want the car to face right and the wheels pointing left and then slowly drive up. if u still scrape with this method then lift kit it is.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:46 PM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
Old 05-17-2010, 09:57 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
I built wooden ramps to get into mine. $40 worth of parts at home depot. Pain in the *** but it works for now.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:57 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
4 inches is not that low . The lift is not cheap and the bridge does sound like one good idea but in order to understand better can you post the angle of attack where the bumper hits the ground ?

Old 05-17-2010, 10:57 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Yikes - maybe get a concrete contractor out there and fix the driveway? These cars do reveal the road issues though, don't they. I scrape bottom way more than I wish or expect - easy does it, that's for sure.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:27 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by yrralis1
4 inches is not that low .
I'd just installed the 997 GT3 bumper & I get scraped everyday..Mine was also 4 inch off the ground..I tried going slow up at an angle (helps a little bit)..but going down nose first,,I scraped it all the time...so 4 inch is pretty damn low to me...Any lower will be a disaster..

Old 05-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
I scrape more than I'd like as well. In fact, the flap n front of the passenger front tire has been dislodged a bit and I need to crawl under there and readjust it.

To the op. Before dropping major coin on a suspension mod, stack up some wooden boards and if it works yo can invest in something a little more asthetically appealing.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:53 PM
ModHog is infamous around these parts
I've seen his driveway........it's steep going in and narrow. There is no room to go in at an angle. GL Chou.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:10 AM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
I second the Griot's Driveway Curb Bridge (it also has an optional extra 4' bridge section.) Give it a try.

Regards,

Old 05-18-2010, 12:38 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MkC2
I'd just installed the 997 GT3 bumper & I get scraped everyday..Mine was also 4 inch off the ground..I tried going slow up at an angle (helps a little bit)..but going down nose first,,I scraped it all the time...so 4 inch is pretty damn low to me...Any lower will be a disaster..
The Gt3 bumper's design makes the angle of attack for the lip quite difficult . The same can be said with my lowered Turbo that has the Techart painted lip. If i lived amongst high inclines I probably would get the lift but it is not cheap. Since the option is now available on the Gt3 I view it as a must have option . I think I am lower tha 4 inches.

The ground is uneven but here's mine next to Sin 911's car at one of the porsche events and a closer shot of just my lip clearance on the street.

Attached Images   
Old 05-18-2010, 06:58 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
I do not know your specific situation but I first backed my car into the driveway to avoid scraping. Now I approach the driveway forward at a 45 degree angle. This works for me but my car is a standard 2008S (not lowered).

Old 05-18-2010, 07:06 AM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
Last year, my business newspaper did an article on a local guy who was marketing rubber curb ramps to help people get in their driveways. The article calle them Bridjit Curb Ramps & said he had a marketing deal with Griot's. I tossed "Bridjit Curb Ramp" into Google & got a lot of hits.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:35 AM
biggynuts01 has a spectacular aura aboutbiggynuts01 has a spectacular aura about
Hey Chou, this is Steve. Man your ride looks pretty sick with the new body. I came onto this thread looking for a similar solution. I dont wanna drop my car until i can find a way to get it into my office parking lot without ripping off the lip.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:19 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
This thread got me curious so I just went out and measured my front. My car has the GT3 front bumper and is lowered 15mm with TechArt springs (car also has PASM).

Came in at 4.5 inches.

My driveway is also steep but pretty wide (three car garage) so I have some room to work with. If I come in at an angle and do the hard turn, I'm ok. I do have to be a little careful on the roads as the approach to some entries/exits can be a little hairy. Good news with the GT3 front bumper is the easily replaceable lip.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car cannot get on the driveway