997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New Boxster Spyder or used 997S/4S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 01:32 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by fanboy
LOL good point. Like going to an Apple forum and asking "Android or iPhone?"
agreed +1

Old 05-20-2010, 02:44 PM
stephen k is infamous around these parts
Box Spyder all day long.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Nor sure why others opinions are relevant but the 2 cars are as different as night and day in my opinion. Spyder is lighter, cheaper, quicker, handles better and is a better investment over time. They will also be less common than a 911. Given the fact they are not foul wheather cars or particularly practical in general anywhere other than southern California I believe they'll will only appeal to a small group of enthusiasts. So, with that said, you either want one or you don't and the opinion of others won't really have no impact on your final decision.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:53 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe Drive a boxter S and see if you like it.. it's basically the same car. I always like the RS60 spyder that came out a couple of years ago.

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2007/...spyder_li.html

Last edited by sizquik; 05-20-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:19 PM
cbzzoom is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Da Hapa
If you want a bare bones convertible that would probably make an incredible autoX car... 987 spyder. If you want a GT car with year round driveability that can still rip the face off most hard core sports cars and does make a good bone stock autoX car... 997S.
Yep, this is right on.

On paper they aren't that different, but in practice they are drastically different cars.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
I might be biased but I would take a spyder in a heartbeat. I have put more than a few miles on ours and it is easily the best handling factory porsche. Quite excited to fit ours with JRZs our swaybars and a turbo should be a real hoot then.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:57 PM
T33
T33 is infamous around these parts
Go for the 997. I came from a Boxster, to a 996, and now a 997.2S. I'm sure the Spyder is way more car than what I had, but the 997 has a better steering feel and way more fun to drive. And maybe it's just me, but when I see a Boxster now, it kinda looks small.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:00 PM
PORSCHEFREAK has a spectacular aura aboutPORSCHEFREAK has a spectacular aura aboutPORSCHEFREAK has a spectacular aura about
Yeah go with 997, let the wife drive the boxster.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:51 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
I have to completely disagree

Originally Posted by T33
Go for the 997. I came from a Boxster, to a 996, and now a 997.2S. I'm sure the Spyder is way more car than what I had, but the 997 has a better steering feel and way more fun to drive. And maybe it's just me, but when I see a Boxster now, it kinda looks small.
The 911 has many things going for it over the boxster spyder, but handling is not one of them. I would say the spyder was the best handling car I've driven and the feel is awesome

Old 05-20-2010, 07:59 PM
rh888888 is infamous around these partsrh888888 is infamous around these parts
Why not buy a 996TT prices are right.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:41 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I would pick the Boxter Spyder if I was considering a Cab .

But i would never consider a Cab .

Old 05-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
^agreed

Old 05-21-2010, 02:04 AM
jus587 is infamous around these parts
I think they are quite different cars. Both very good cars no doubt.

I'd like to compare this question as if someone is tossing between
a brand new 3 Series or a used 7 Series beemer.

They may be the same price now but 911 is twice the list price of a Boxster from the factory. So the equipment and trim level is uncomparable.

p.s I chose my used 911 over a brand new Cayman!!

Old 05-21-2010, 02:46 AM
bhoov14 is infamous around these parts
Thanks everyone for your input, great points all the way around. I realize that I'm comparing 2 different cars and asking the question in the 997 forum (probably a clue as to which way I was leaning). Honestly, I was just stunned how much I liked driving the drive of the car. I actually did drive a Boxster S right afterward to understand the differences, which were significant enough, specifically the feel of the suspension. I didn't expect to like as much as I did...not to mention a few mods to the motor, and the car would be perfect. A 996 Turbo is a thought as well, ideally I would love a 997 Turbo but I just don't want to over extend myself right now given the fact that I close to proposing to my GF. Choices...choices.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:26 AM
PRS 7 is infamous around these parts
More than one review has said the Spyder is the best handling factory Porsche ever.

The comments about it being feminine are funny. That sort of stigma never enters my head anyway.

I will toss a dollar out the window every time I see a female driving one. Dallas is a huge city too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Boxster Spyder or used 997S/4S?