997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New Boxster Spyder or used 997S/4S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 09:15 AM
bhoov14 is infamous around these parts
I would have to say after driving it, the Spyder is anything but feminine.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Matt in Houston is infamous around these partsMatt in Houston is infamous around these parts
The Boxter Spyder is a unique and interesting Porsche. I recently saw a white one at my local dealer and it caused me to do a little research. Since I came from a Lotus background, I really appreciate the weight savings they worked out of the car. I have also read the ride is excellent and it has one of the best 6 speed manual shifters out there.

Between the Spyder and a 997.1s, it would be a tough decision for me...but ultimately I would probably get the 911 since I prefer a coupe. I would love to own both....maybe one day!

Old 05-21-2010, 04:36 PM
lee7758 is infamous around these parts
Boxster Spyder is a good second car, only if you already have a 911!!

Old 05-21-2010, 05:34 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
i was seriously considering the Spyder.. its a beautiful car that emphasizes the driving basics

simple, light & balanced, it must be pure joy to drive that car..

however, every-day practicality of the 911 is unquestioned in the sport-car world.. and ultimately became the reason for my purchase selection.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:10 PM
T33
T33 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tourbillon001
The 911 has many things going for it over the boxster spyder, but handling is not one of them. I would say the spyder was the best handling car I've driven and the feel is awesome
I have not driven a Spyder, and probably it's has a better feel now that the first generation Boxster. So you may be right. But somehow it's still looks small. Just my personal opinion though.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:21 PM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
I Have never owned a porche but have sold them (up to 997) and beiin in/driven new boxter spyder. My take is simple as this. If i got a 911 S then I would take it over the spyder. If it was a regualr 911 (non S) I would take the spider. After selling and driving bith the S and regualr carrera I really felt a big diference. The exhaust sound MUCH better in the S and the torque difference is def there. If I was to get a 911 I would only be hapy with an S. Like most peopl say if you get a boxter then you might feel cheated because you could of had a 911. y view is if I got a standars carrera and not the S I would def feel like I made a mistake. This is a different way of looking at it but if it was me my order for wanting the cars would be
1)997 911s
2)Boxter spyder
3)997 911 (non S)

Old 05-21-2010, 07:46 PM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
Boxsters............

to me Porsche IS a Carrera.....the Boxster seems like the modern day 914...............

Old 05-22-2010, 08:13 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Assuming you can deal with the complexities of the top - using it principally in Spyder mode - then this is a no-brainer to me. The Spyder is a special car that comes along very rarely. Beautiful, unique configuration, amazing handling, rare and contains gobs of the Porsche 'essence'.
If I was buying right now, living where I do, I'd go for it, and part it at work with a car cover on the open shape.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:49 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
I completely dig the new Spyder. If it's just a weekend toy and not a daily driver I'd go with the Spyder.

The virtues of light weight, mid engine and top down are a great combination. When they take the initial depreciation hit who knows...

Old 05-24-2010, 07:31 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I had an RS60 Spyder for 3 months. It was too small for me. But for a dude 6'0" or less, a wonderful ride with PASM and 19" rims, and sport exhaust. But I needed the leg room.
I will say that in certain situations, the 911 handles better to me. At this point I don't really care about a convertible and I like a GT car.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:52 PM
casaforte9 is infamous around these parts
I think ALPINE6SPD said it great and IMO his observations are spot on

The 911s esp. the 997.2 has great torque, nice exhaust note over the base and handles and rides very well with the STD PASM

Obviously the Spyder with its mid-engine and revised suspension is Porsches best overall handler. One has to drive it to see how much better it is over the Std boxster . The car with top up is not bad at all with wind and road noise

You can feel less torque in the Spyder compared to 911S but what is going for the spider are its looks, handling, more sportier feel from the seat, gauges with no hood like a bike,short windows and low to ground

Msrp wise , avg. 78k for spider PDK vs an average of 108K for a well equipped 911S pdk, .about 30k difference. It is a huge price difference and a can be a tough decision even if one can spend 110k

Old 05-25-2010, 02:29 PM
I have decided to wait and hold out for the right 997. The Spyder is an amazing car to drive, I'll just have to hunt one down in the fall if I change my mind. It will be interesting to see the value of the Spyder vs. the Boxster S over the next year. At least in a used 911 the bulk of the depreciation has been taken!

Old 05-25-2010, 02:36 PM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
I'm going to go take a look at one on Thursday, see what all the fuss is about

It looks stunning, I expect I'll feel underwhelmed by the power but that's a rather moot point really. It would only be a weekend toy for me anyway so it would work for me, I'll let you know what I think.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:36 PM
P Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by robfxlr
to me Porsche IS a Carrera.....the Boxster seems like the modern day 914...............
I agree 100%. The 911 is THE consummate sports car, and there is no way around that. And its rich history is just one of many virtues that I find so appealing about it. I can't say I share the same enthusiasm for a boxter, cayman, etc. That's just me though.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:11 PM
It's been a long week. Decided today to close the deal on a new Spyder (yes, I actually changed my mind several times). After having a 993, 993 Turbo, and a 997.1S I decided that I was getting a bit too caught up in the fact that it's a Boxster, and not the driving experience. Yes, the power is nowhere near a Turbo and a bit less than a 997.1S, but the driving experience is excellent. Loved te mid-engine handling, as well as the uniqueness of the Spyder. I am travelling for the holidays this weekend, I'll post pix and a full report next weekend after I take delivery. Sorry guys, didn't mean to waffle on this one, but I appreciate all of the feedback. The only question left is what mods to perform first...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Boxster Spyder or used 997S/4S?